New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

But what if I want to stand in the rail seating section? I.e. buy a season ticket there with my friends/family and have the same spot reserved each game. How would making the spots unreserved make it any better?
If you and your family wanted to stand together in the same place on the London Road terrace every week, what would you do?

Perhaps unfortunately, rail seating is not the equivalent of a terrace. It is effectively a seat like any other, albeit one where you are officially allowed to stand up. As such, you have to buy a ticket for a specific seat whether it is rail or normal seating.

You're right, rail seating will never replicate a terrace and won't be the answer alone to issues about the atmosphere.

I've actually felt that the atmosphere immediately around me at some games at the Kassam has been excellent (albeit the bigger games or critical moments in games). The problem is that this rarely spreads due to the crap acoustics and design of the stadium and fans generally being in smaller pockets rather than a large collective.

We know that the new stadium is being designed with acoustics in mind, and we will all feel much closer to each other and the pitch. There will also be the opportunity to look at dedicated singing areas either formally, or informally with fan groups looking at booking the same areas (behing goal near away fans for example).

We will also have the advantage of pre-game fan zones where we can help build the atmosphere even before we step into the stadium in the way that we had at the priory or at some away games.

We won't have terraces, and we certainly won't have the London Road, but we will have lots of things much better than we have at the Kassam to help us all make the fan experience great for everyone.

Perhaps unfortunately, rail seating is not the equivalent of a terrace. It is effectively a seat like any other, albeit one where you are officially allowed to stand up. As such, you have to buy a ticket for a specific seat whether it is rail or normal seating.
Conventionally, yes. However the discussion is whether it is worth the club selling this area at 10% lower capacity and simply having "unreserved" on the match ticket, or season ticket. There are many EFL clubs who employ this system in their away sections and whether it could be utilised to improve atmosphere in a home section. It's a system that can be used by clubs if they wish.

Rail seating and standard seating are no different in that they have lettered rows and numbered seats, they're identical in every way except with rail seating there's a bar to lean on in front of you and maybe some more legroom. How you sell tickets in those areas is what is open to debate.

Unfortunately not everyone can afford a season ticket
Absolutely and they are also welcome and, hopefully, there will be space available. However, reserving seats/space for them is neither practical nor cost effective. Add to that the numbers that are members who also have made a commitment and it gets more difficult.

Absolutely and they are also welcome and, hopefully, there will be space available. However, reserving seats/space for them is neither practical nor cost effective. Add to that the numbers that are members who also have made a commitment and it gets more difficult.
Point taken, a good percentage of Saturday's game was non season ticket holders. Without them the crowd would of been awful.

Has anyone mentioned a sustainable way to deter pigeons from shitting on seats? I can imagine we might actually clean them, unlike the current landlord

Has anyone mentioned a sustainable way to deter pigeons from shitting on seats? I can imagine we might actually clean them, unlike the current landlord

Good news!

Apparently nappys for pigeons are a thing.

1000016708.jpg

Surely what matters is the attitude of the stewards? We know that even standing spaces have to be allocated numerically, but if the stewards are sensible then they'll let people gravitate to their friends or to groups of singers. I don't see why you couldn't sell season tickets there as long as people realize it's a standing area and they can't just plonk themselves down for the duration.
The "attitude" of the stewards will be at least partly defined by the regs, and the SAG, and the police. All the signs so far (the regs) would point to know, whether we like it or not.

exactly

Conventionally, yes. However the discussion is whether it is worth the club selling this area at 10% lower capacity and simply having "unreserved" on the match ticket, or season ticket. There are many EFL clubs who employ this system in their away sections and whether it could be utilised to improve atmosphere in a home section. It's a system that can be used by clubs if they wish.

Rail seating and standard seating are no different in that they have lettered rows and numbered seats, they're identical in every way except with rail seating there's a bar to lean on in front of you and maybe some more legroom. How you sell tickets in those areas is what is open to debate.
There does appear to be more attention paid to rail seating in this regard - I'm not sure how this is working out in practise in England as I haven't been to a ground with it yet.

Thats fine. Just why on earth would someone who wants to sit all game, every game buy a ticket/ST where the standing support would definitely be.
Just use common sense where a seat is bought and its no problem for anyone.
Nailed it.

Personally I've never seen it at a groud so googled a picture of it which helped me understand it better (this is Anfield pictured). It makes sense that season tickets for the numbered space would be sold in my opinion.

Screenshot_20231024_145356_Google.jpg

Still not sure why it needs to be labelled unreserved. It's just an area where if you buy a ticket (with a seat number on it) then you know, and should expect, people to be standing up (as was pointed out in the ground regs posted earlier). So the club can sell 100% of the seats in this safe standing area.

Also, not sure this is any kind of special treatment for anyone as Monorlounger is suggesting.

Last edited:
Still not sure why it needs to be labelled unreserved. It's just an area where if you buy a ticket (with a seat number on it) then you know, and should expect, people to be standing up (as was pointed out in the ground regs posted earlier). So the club can sell 100% of the seats in this safe standing area. Unless I'm missing something?
The discussion isn't about people standing up, it's a safe standing area so to be expected. It is about the ability for people to congregate with friends without having to worry about all booking tickets at the same time to be together. That's where the reduction in capacity comes from. If everyone stands in their ticketed space then 100% capacity. If you want the ability to stand anywhere, there is a 10% reduction in capacity for that area.

Back
Top Bottom