New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of this KPC meeting? Is there actually anything they can do to stop the stadium now? Surely once planning permission is granted, that's it?

Any update from the meeting. When are the minutes/decisions announced on these things - anyone itk?

Below is what someone posted on Nextdoor about the KPC Zoom meeting.

I'm currently listening to the KPC Zoom meeting, and it's almost completely unintelligible. Chairman David Robey's mic is working fine, but the handheld mic has an echo because the chairman's mic is open at the same time, and is picking up the sound from the hall speakers, which has a slight delay. Whoever is operating the sound mixer needs to turn down (or switch off) one mic when the other is in use.

That's always been the case for KPC meetings. When they actually had a chance to be involved when SB was on the table, many on here tried to listen in to one of their meetings but it was a waste of time. You couldn't hear anything.

I have learned more about the machinations of local politics as a result of the stadium development. On one hand, I have to take off my hat to parish and district councillors who give up their evenings to sit in a cold hall and discuss local matters relating to planning permission requests, potholes and road signage when they could be at home in the warm having dinner and watching the Bake Off or a Champions League game. I sit in meetings most of the day so the thought of having a busman's holiday and spending my evenings doing it too is bizarre to me. Outside of an allowance, they aren't paid anything and give up a lot of their spare time to do these things.

On the other hand, I have learned that local councillors are only there because no one else is bothered to give up their evenings. They tend to be busybodies who love rules and regulations and having their own fiefdom of power. It only takes a few highly opinionated individuals to have an irritating clique develop that can cause all manner of irritating decisions.

I'll await the KPC minutes. Such is their tinpot nature, they don't have a Twitter feed so no live updates came from it. I know what they would have voted on despite it being a waste of their time to discuss it.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of this KPC meeting? Is there actually anything they can do to stop the stadium now? Surely once planning permission is granted, that's it?

In terms of discussing the stadium, zero. They have no influence at all over anything, including road closures.

The meeting will reveal the predetermined positions of Mawson and Middleton who sit on the CDC Planning Committee (the latter as a reserve) but we knew that already. Also on the Planning Committee is Cllr McLean who abstained from a stadium vote in September. It will at least be interesting to see how she votes this time around to see if the club needs to put in a request for her removal on predetermined grounds.

There is very little point in reality.
My understanding ( anybody who knows more than me, please correct), is that if this is called in to the Secretary of State due to being on greenbelt, then they can take account of support/ those against.
The building on greenbelt can happen in 'exceptional circumstances ' and the loss of a football club is seen as exceptional- so the support for the stadium is still very important

The building on greenbelt can happen in 'exceptional circumstances ' and the loss of a football club is seen as exceptional- so the support for the stadium is still very important

Highest average attendance for 36 years and increasing is a massive plus for the football club going into the planning application process.

This isn't a club on its knees and falling down the leagues.

In terms of discussing the stadium, zero. They have no influence at all over anything, including road closures.

The meeting will reveal the predetermined positions of Mawson and Middleton who sit on the CDC Planning Committee (the latter as a reserve) but we knew that already. Also on the Planning Committee is Cllr McLean who abstained from a stadium vote in September. It will at least be interesting to see how she votes this time around to see if the club needs to put in a request for her removal on predetermined grounds.

McLean voted in favour of KPC adopting and object stance in the meeting prior to September so has revealed her hand.

McLean voted in favour of KPC adopting and object stance in the meeting prior to September so has revealed her hand.

I posted this in September as it’s not quite as simple as that.

‘Cllr Lesley McLean, a Liberal Democrat, sits on both (councils) too. Interestingly, she abstained in the 7 September KPC motion to oppose the stadium and was the only KPC councillor to do so (Item 23/059). She's voted in favour of objecting to the stadium unless their usual four demands were met/KPC sent their concerns to OCC back in June.’

Voting against something until conditions are met is a reasonable position to take. Since then KPC have whinged that their four vague conditions haven’t been met, yet Cllr McLean chose to abstain when everyone else voted to oppose it.

I’m not saying she’s an ally in this but she has played a better game in ensuring that she’s on the Planning Committee compared to Mawson and Middleton.

Plans are already in place for speed restrictions on the Oxford Rd and it becoming a cycle highway with traffic being redirected through Frieze Way. KPC had absolutely no concerns about this, nor did the various North Oxford resident groups run by the same person.

The move away from car usage in and around Oxford is supported by the (non)Progressive Alliance which includes the Greens and Lib Dems.

Anyone south of Parkway will find access into Oxford or to and from the ring road easier as traffic is reduced on the Oxford Rd. Air quality will improve with reduced car usage and residential areas will be safer as a result.

Anyone travelling from North Oxfordshire into Oxford or onto the ring round will no longer come off the A34 at Kidlington and will stay on for an extra junction coming off at Pear Tree instead. This will reduce traffic into or around Kidlington.

The ONLY restrictions will be for Kidlington residents travelling into Oxford via the Oxford Rd for approximately 2 hours on a maximum of 20 Saturdays a year. Human nature is that 90% of people will just adjust there habits and will avoid travel at these times. The small number that will continue to travel at these times will have an alternative route via Frieze Way that will add a few minutes at most to their journeys.

So there is little integrity in a parish council arguing against something that has a positive impact on many and only a very minor negative impact on a minority. It is, and will be seen as, nothing more than a distraction technique to try and block a project that has met, or will meet, every condition placed on them.

‘Cllr Lesley McLean, a Liberal Democrat, sits on both (councils) too. Interestingly, she abstained in the 7 September KPC motion to oppose the stadium and was the only KPC councillor to do so (Item 23/059). She's voted in favour of objecting to the stadium unless their usual four demands were met/KPC sent their concerns to OCC back in June.’

Voting against something until conditions are met is a reasonable position to take. Since then KPC have whinged that their four vague conditions haven’t been met, yet Cllr McLean chose to abstain when everyone else voted to oppose it.

I’m not saying she’s an ally in this but she has played a better game in ensuring that she’s on the Planning Committee compared to Mawson and Middleton.

Time for a follow up vote to see if KPC believe the conditions have been met then. Her vote is enough for me as a Cherwell resident to claim predetermination to CDC when the planning application goes in.

Time for a follow up vote to see if KPC believe the conditions have been met then. Her vote is enough for me as a Cherwell resident to claim predetermination to CDC when the planning application goes in.

It won't met the threshold for predetermination. As @unification has said, there are battles to have with some individuals, Cllr McLean isn't one of them.

It will at least be interesting to see how she votes this time around to see if the club needs to put in a request for her removal on predetermined grounds.
The club cannot interfere with the planning process in any way, shape or form. Doing so would leave the Judicial Review route open to the objectors should planning be granted.

If a councillor *has* predetermined their position by, say, campaigning with a group whose stated intention is to prevent the development, then it is up to them to declare this and withdraw from the discussion and decision making process.

Should they not do so and the planning application was rejected, the particulars of the alleged predetermination can be included in the inevitable planning appeal and the Appeals Inspector would consider the evidence in coming to his own decision. It may also open other legal avenues for the club to explore should they wish to do so.

Last edited:
The club cannot interfere with the planning process in any way, shape or form. Doing so would leave the Judicial Review route open to the objectors should planning be granted.

If a councillor *has* predetermined their position by, say, campaigning with a group whose stated intention is to prevent the development, then it is up to them to declare this and withdraw from the discussion and decision making process.

Should they not do so and the planning application was rejected, the particulars of the alleged predetermination can be included in the inevitable planning appeal and the Appeals Inspector would consider the evidence in coming to his own decision. It may also open other legal avenues for the club to explore should they wish to do so.

Thanks for the clarification.

It does sound like the antis may have a card here to hold up the process then. If Mawson is on the Planning Committee and refuses to withdraw from it and the planning application is rejected by one vote, it looks like a long ol' process to challenge how that came about. I'm unaware of the actual process but does it not make sense to raise the issue once the makeup of the Planning Committee is known? IM and FM are on record as voting against the stadium at every KPC meeting and neither have honesty as a strongpoint considering they have a code of omerta when it comes to their links to FOSB.

If Mawson is on the committee, I hope the fanbase can be mobilised again to ensure she isn't and that Middleton is nowhere near it either.

For balance, Nigel Simpson sits on the Planning Committee too. As a season ticket holder, he should be opting out of this (and I heard that he would be).

Anyone know if the planning application has been submitted yet? I recall that the aim may have been the end of October.

Not everyone voted to oppose it

Anyone know if the planning application has been submitted yet? I recall that the aim may have been the end of October.
I think that they said end of the year last time I heard.
I think it was originally the end of October,

Nothing I'd want to do less than spend my evening listening to a bunch of grumbling farts moaning over a crappy stream
I was listening in until I got booted without doing anything wrong, they did apologise afterwards but still Davids mind was already made up and was simply trying to cjole support that was already there. He had no intention from what I heard of actually offering a solution (Which is obviously the proposed concept of the bridges)

Back
Top Bottom