Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I didn't know that. In terms of pure quality Hebberd is the best player I've ever seen in an Oxford shirt. What a miraculous team that was - not just the people and talent but how it all came together at *exactly* the right moment in everyone's careers with the bald eagle flying above in his pomp. Great memories.
Couldn’t agree more. In 60 years of attending matches, the best player I’ve seen too. The team he played in was the best OUFC team ever. At least so far. Maybe the team that eventually wins the European Championship might run it close!

Henceforth it shall be known as Moody's Law.

It's a bit like Godwin's law but covers strikers goalscoring record (instead of Hitler and the Nazi's, obvs)...any questioning or raising of which immediately invalidates the argument of those questioning said record.
Then there's Matt Murphy, a player who never seemed to possess much talent and yet had a knack of scoring goals. Sod's law that there's already a law named after him.

Spoke to someone at the club on Saturday who said we have a couple of deals sorted but Manning is under pressure to shift a couple out who don't feature in his plans. This could be true or not but I have no reason to doubt it.
Surprised McGinty hasn't been loaned out as of yet, not sure the squad can carry three senior keepers.

Feel like Henry could depart too, has been injured but whilst I can see the reasons for keeping him, I'm not sure where he fits in a Manning side.

Wildshut I know we've been trying to shift all summer, will one club finally take us up on that offer?

Spoke to someone at the club on Saturday who said we have a couple of deals sorted but Manning is under pressure to shift a couple out who don't feature in his plans. This could be true or not but I have no reason to doubt it.
If they are done, then they are done? If it is a case of we can only go ahead if we shift others out, then that is something entirely different. The latter a bit like seeing a great house that you want to buy, but yours isn’t sold and no one seems interested (as it’s too expensive for what it is).

• React
Reactions: m
This thread is a f*****g joke honestly what the f**k is wrong with the w**kers on this forum making their s**t puns rather than talking about f*****g transfers honestly just f**k off you C***s
I really felt the anger in that post

He was an absolutely tremendous player. Best player (bar none) I have ever seen play for us. I also know (long story) that Man United and Arsenal were very interested in him around 1984-5, but were put off by the 'big club' issues he had faced at Southampton (ironic, given how good he was at Wembley). I also knew Brian Glanville a little bit at the time (he was Chief Football Writer of the Sunday Times). Glanville was a pretty vocal chap in the Press Box, and thought Hebberd was brilliant- said he should have gone to Mexico in 1986 instead of Peter Reid of Everton. Trevor would, of course, have caught Maradona and we would have won the World Cup!!
Absolutely this!!!

Moody was unique for a tall physical striker. He had decent skill, pace and dribbling attributes, which was unusual for a player of his physique. He knew where the net was too, he could score all types of goals. I can’t even think of another player since who reminds me of him. Even in his second spell with us when he was approaching his mid 30’s he still managed 13 goals in an awful team.
He would be worth millions in todays game. I think he was a late starter in the pro game and joined us at 26 after a handful of appearances at Southampton.

The guy who just scored 52 goals for Man City last season is actually a little bigger than Moods, and you could probably argue that he has decent pace, skill and finishing as well.

"Erling Haaland - the modern day Paul Moody"

Moody could also barely move by the time he came back for that second spell. Still had an innate understanding of where to be to cause defenses the maximum headaches and get his goals, but in retrospect we probably shouldn't have paid a six figure sum for him that time!

I can't really think of a player for Oxford, in my time watching (52 years), who I could liken to Hebberd. We've had more skilful midfielders, like Magilton, but none as complete a player as Hebberd. Any greatest ever Oxford XI you care to pick then Hebberd walks into that team unchallenged. He was a bit unlucky at Saints in that it was that mad time there when they were signing superstar after superstar - Keegan, Worthington, Shilton, Channon, Mills, Ball etc. Despite his obvious talent I can see how Hebberd might not have been the type of character to believe in himself in that company and barge his way in. He was good enough to have in my opinion.
Hebberd, Aldridge and Dave Roberts are the players who’d walk into any Oxford
Supporters team

He was an absolutely tremendous player. Best player (bar none) I have ever seen play for us. I also know (long story) that Man United and Arsenal were very interested in him around 1984-5, but were put off by the 'big club' issues he had faced at Southampton (ironic, given how good he was at Wembley). I also knew Brian Glanville a little bit at the time (he was Chief Football Writer of the Sunday Times). Glanville was a pretty vocal chap in the Press Box, and thought Hebberd was brilliant- said he should have gone to Mexico in 1986 instead of Peter Reid of Everton. Trevor would, of course, have caught Maradona and we would have won the World Cup!!
Always remember the line that Brian Glanville used to describe Trevor Hebberd after his majestic Wembley display in our Cup Final win - 'Hebberd bestrode the Wembley turf like a modern day Colossus'. The best midfielder the club has ever had and my favourite all time player.

Surprised McGinty hasn't been loaned out as of yet, not sure the squad can carry three senior keepers.

Feel like Henry could depart too, has been injured but whilst I can see the reasons for keeping him, I'm not sure where he fits in a Manning side.

Wildshut I know we've been trying to shift all summer, will one club finally take us up on that offer?
McNicholas has gone to Wrexham .
Could loan him back to Sligo and be back for November

Hebberd, Aldridge and Dave Roberts are the players who’d walk into any Oxford
Supporters team
Not so sure about Dave Roberts ( although I thought that he was a teriffic player)
Huge competition with Matt Elliott ( who would be in any supporters team?) And of course Shotton/ Briggs.

Would have Elliott and Roberts ahead of Briggs and Shotton, and would try and find John Evanson a place on the bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom