Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to find, once again, that some of our fans have such an aversion to spending sensible money on a striker who could ultimately be the difference in achieving promotion this season.

It's very twee and quaint to maintain this noble stance that, somehow, decent fees on a striker are the garish trappings of modern football and ultimately beneath us. We're more wholesome, more genuine. As if buying a ready made product off the shelf is somehow cheating.

No-one wants the club chucking money about aimlessly again, but if Manning and co have identfied that an experienced striker with an excellent record at this level is worth the money (and the money has been sanctioned by the Board) then that's good enough for me.

The continued hostility to doing so is bizarre and seems to be built on the belief that it's sensible or pragmatic to act in this way (much as it's very sensible not to sack a failing manager).

But we're fans, not businessmen.
We're not flipping houses. We're finding one to live in and be happy.

Let's live a little guys. We f**king deserve it.

We once spent a £400 grand transfer fee on Jamie Hanson, apparently at his age then, 22, he would have a big resale fee. After costing another £700,000 in wages etc he saw out his contract with us as a bit part player and retired from the game at 26, so it just goes to show whoever you sign they come with no guarantee just because they are younger.

Marriot is no more of a gamble than some of these loan signings that cost a wedge and are only here for a brief time (Herbie Kane for example), people seem to be fixating on the fee without realising how much some other player actually cost us.

Curious to find, once again, that some of our fans have such an aversion to spending sensible money on a striker who could ultimately be the difference in achieving promotion this season.

It's very twee and quaint to maintain this noble stance that, somehow, decent fees on a striker are the garish trappings of modern football and ultimately beneath us. We're more wholesome, more genuine. As if buying a ready made product off the shelf is somehow cheating.

No-one wants the club chucking money about aimlessly again, but if Manning and co have identfied that an experienced striker with an excellent record at this level is worth the money (and the money has been sanctioned by the Board) then that's good enough for me.

The continued hostility to doing so is bizarre and seems to be built on the belief that it's sensible or pragmatic to act in this way (much as it's very sensible not to sack a failing manager).

But what if we don’t think it’s “sensible money”?

We once spent a £400 grand transfer fee on Jamie Hanson, apparently at his age then, 22, he would have a big resale fee. After costing another £700,000 in wages etc he saw out his contract with us as a bit part player and retired from the game at 26, so it just goes to show whoever you sign they come with no guarantee just because they are younger.

Marriot is no more of a gamble than some of these loan signings that cost a wedge and are only here for a brief time (Herbie Kane for example), people seem to be fixating on the fee without realising how much some other player actually cost us.
Using Hanson to justify spending big money on a player is wild

Sonny, yesterday my life was filled with rain
Sonny, you scored and really eased the pain
The dark days are gone
And the bright days are here
Sonny will take us to the second tier
Sonny, yellow and blue, I love youuuuuu

That's Musical Youth (Pass to Greg Leigh on the Left Hand Side) and Boney M now in the locker, wonder what Marriott and Longman can bring...

Bit of Bowie?

There's a Loooongmaaaaan steaming down the right
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a Looooongmaaaaaan steaming down the right
Nobody can catch him
Cause he runs as fast as sh*te
He told me
He'll make defenders lose it
He'll make the goalie lose it
While all the Oxford boogie...

On my own then.

I’d be more inclined to suggest it’s a case of how the shite finally finds it’s level.

Matty Taylor went to FGR around the same age before making a decent career for himself. Sam Smith was rubbish whilst with us as a young player. Carlton Morris hardly set the world alight with us and is now playing in the PL.

It's all about opinions though , my worry is that we seem to have found a very hard working, pacy striker who could well be onto have the season of his life but we might well be banishing him to the bench or sticking him out wide ( which looking how he has battled defenders as a cf would be a waste ).
We need another cf but to challenge rather than be first name on the sheet and others move around him and I'm not actually over enthused by Marriot tbh.

I like Perkins, it's a safe loan with high reward. At minimum he's fantastic cover especially whilst Browne is injured.

He started as a 10 at West Ham but has developed as a centre forward. 6ft+, physical but decent with the ball at his feet. All of his youth game highlights show him playing deeper in midfield and even out on the wing.

Looks physically ready for mens football which is sometimes a worry when young loanees come in, and he can slot in almost anywhere in midfield or upfront.

This reluctance to spend money on an experienced 28 year old with little resale value to fill a long -sought after position in the squad would make more sense.......

....if we literally hadn't just spent money on an experienced 28 year old with little resale value to fill a long -sought after position in the squad, like yesterday 😳😳
Difference is to varying degrees we all knew we needed a left back and again he hasn't come to be on the bench so it does leave Ciaron in a difficult situation where he will likely be out of the side .
Harris has made a fantastic start adding so much to the side as a CF that while another striker needed for sure one that will have to be first choice isn't quite as desperate .
That's how I see it

Looking at previous planning on transfers, we've probably been working on Perkins all summer.

This reluctance to spend money on an experienced 28 year old with little resale value to fill a long -sought after position in the squad would make more sense.......

....if we literally hadn't just spent money on an experienced 28 year old with little resale value to fill a long -sought after position in the squad, like yesterday 😳😳
We spent less than half the fee, wages will be considerably less as well. If we could spend the same as we have on Leigh and get someone who’s performed at the level he has in this league, we’d all be more than happy. The Marriott deal carries far more risk.

But what if we don’t think it’s “sensible money”?

I went to school with a kid (nice lad, very sensible) who, when we are all starting to drink (underage) in pubs - turned down the opportunity to join us.

He wanted to 'wait his turn' (turn 18). As if strictly adhering to some arbitrary drinking age (routinely ignored the country over) was the morally right thing to do. He felt he hadn't earnt it yet. That it wasn't his time. He was content to watch on as his peers enjoyed themselves, doing something he wanted to do but wouldn't allow himself to.

Maybe next year.

That kid often pops into my head when reading this forum.

Using Hanson to justify spending big money on a player is wild

That's not really my point, its more that spending money on an unproven youngster comes with no guarantee of value either, people mention Marriots age as a reason not to spend money on him when we have s**t money up the wall on others with a different profile.

Success can also come from what he does on the pitch, if he fires us to promotion then that will be 500k well spent, the only factor that comes into play when we sign someone cannot be resale value, as that is not in anyway a certainty and will also make us a feeder club.

I will be happy if we sign him and happy if we go a different path, centre forwards are the hardest position to sign, people better qualified than me will decide who we do thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom