National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

Wouldn't it be refreshing to have at least one day when this government doesn't lie or try to gaslight. We can but hope.

We used to have freeports but chose not to renew the legislation that governed them. That means we can write the "rules" as we wish ........

"The UK will have more freedom over the flexibilities and tax concessions it can offer in free zones. This is because EU freeports are governed by the Union Customs Code as well as by EU rules on state aid, which stop member states using selective tax exemptions and financial incentives to distort competition."

Source: https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/trade-freeports-free-zones

I was trying to highlight the absurdity of the privatisation of essential services.
Of course Business has to make a profit. But in the normal business world there is suppose to be heathy competition which drives up standards for consumers.
These privatised utilities are weird monopolies often propped up by the tax payer.
Try and set a business up that allows you to dump your waist in the local river. You just wouldn’t get away with it, and if you attempted it illegally, as has been done, you’d go to prison.

Given the incompetence of previous governments, I am amazed anyone would entrust the running of utility companies to them.

Given the incompetence of previous governments, I am amazed anyone would entrust the running of utility companies to them.
You could set them up as arm's length companies so still in public ownership but Govt doesn't directly run them. Local Councils do this as it is a reasonable model to follow.

You could set them up as arm's length companies so still in public ownership but Govt doesn't directly run them. Local Councils do this as it is a reasonable model to follow.

I guess it comes down to efficiency of the new model.

Would it generate the same returns? Would it become an incompetent mess (i.e councils going bust)

What would be the response to an increase in charges for services? Would it become classed as a stealth tax on the less well off?

No, no and thrice no! The NHS have tried that and totally fubar`d the job!

We outsourced facilities to a private company, that went to rats and the contract terminated at great cost to staff, patients, buildings,etc etc.
We then lurched into the next crisis which was an arms length LLP.
Absolute cluster fudge that also failed and ended up employing all the staff back onto NHS contracts.
The LLP was dissolved in 2018.

Since then it`s improved amazingly.....

What were their failures in respect of water management? Where were the private utilities at the outset when massive capital investment was required?

which stop member states using selective tax exemptions and financial incentives to distort competition
Oh so now the government can give financial incentives to their friends and distort competition. And that's a win?

No, no and thrice no! The NHS have tried that and totally fubar`d the job!

We outsourced facilities to a private company, that went to rats and the contract terminated at great cost to staff, patients, buildings,etc etc.
We then lurched into the next crisis which was an arms length LLP.
Absolute cluster fudge that also failed and ended up employing all the staff back onto NHS contracts.
The LLP was dissolved in 2018.

Since then it`s improved amazingly.....

It isn't outsourcing.

Would it generate the same returns? Would it become an incompetent mess (i.e councils going bust)

What would be the response to an increase in charges for services? Would it become classed as a stealth tax on the less well off?

Councils going bust is in large part due to the worst of austerity cuts being passed on to them whilst they are having to do the same services (or new ones set by National Govt such as Test & Trace but no additional funding to do so). Some Councils have been cut to the point they are struggling to do the minimum statutory responsibilities, nevermind anything else.

Well, i for one am going to keep stomping because of all the things like this. Blatant lying in order to scare people into voting for them is not ok and
if we ever just accept it, what does it say about us ?

View attachment 7363
Aye because the Remain campaign told no lies at all. I remember reading something saying there would be no clean drinking water if we voted to leave!

Maybe it's time you all moved on and enjoyed life. If Oxford have a bad result I don't spend the next few years dwelling on it!

Aye because the Remain campaign told no lies at all. I remember reading something saying there would be no clean drinking water if we voted to leave!

Maybe it's time you all moved on and enjoyed life. If Oxford have a bad result I don't spend the next few years dwelling on it!

That may yet come to pass as supplies for chemicals for clean drinking water are struggling as well apparently.

Councils going bust is in large part due to the worst of austerity cuts being passed on to them whilst they are having to do the same services (or new ones set by National Govt such as Test & Trace but no additional funding to do so). Some Councils have been cut to the point they are struggling to do the minimum statutory responsibilities, nevermind anything else.

Absolutely.

Austerity that would have extended to less investment in water utilities.

Government run or not, the JIT supply issues as a result of Brexit would still also have existed.

I remember reading something saying there would be no clean drinking water if we voted to leave!
I’ve already copied and pasted text messages from my sibling who works for the Environment Agency earlier on today, where they explain where we used to get our sewage treatment chemicals from, and that there is also potential for the same delay / shortage issues with new supplies from Canada affecting fresh water treatment.

Then there’s the very public and verifiable Operation Yellowhammer, the government’s own published paper on the potential of a no deal Brexit (which is actually what we got but they never use that term anymore), which spoke about this very possibility more than two years ago. Along with other issues, some of which we’ve already seen:

That’s straight from the “Leave” government themselves, if we want to keep putting people into teams. I am sure that we will find a way to muddle through, it won’t be some sort of horror movie where thousands lay gasping in the streets, but you’re wide of the mark to dismiss issues with the water supply as some sort of remainer conspiracy when not only is it completely accurate, it was our own government that was in the process of taking us out that publicly said it could happen to begin with.

Would it generate the same returns? Would it become an incompetent mess (i.e edit Tory councils going bust)

Too much information?

No I reckon we should all stomp our feet like toddlers all day and act like we're living in North Korea because we're no longer part of a political union nobody ever voted for in the first place.
Don’t stomp because the sewage you’re standing in will splatter.

Too much information?
Lol.

Thanks for clarifying.

Incredibly poor management by selling valuable assets to plug the financial hole. I won’t mentioned Gordon’s mismanagement of our gold reserves 😉

Back
Top Bottom