National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

You post that as though it is "just us". 🤷‍♀️

Its not.

"Today, London and many other major cities like Paris, Berlin, or Sofia still rely on their ageing wastewater systems."

If you`ve ventured down to London you would see this..............

I`m no sewage engineer but its not the kind of thing you build overnight but it is being built.

Population expansion, people tarmacing their drives, more housing, excess run off all contributes.
More squirrels? Everyone’s ageing sewerage systems lead to overflow into rivers when there’s too much rain. That’s what that promo puff piece is about. It is not about the purposeful discharge of sewerage that can’t be treated to an avoidable supply chain issue.

More squirrels? Everyone’s ageing sewerage systems lead to overflow into rivers when there’s too much rain. That’s what that promo puff piece is about. It is not about the purposeful discharge of sewerage that can’t be treated to an avoidable supply chain issue.

I`m sure the source is less important than the consequence.....
According to these folk, it is only the third treatment stage that is being missed so is it actually "raw sewage" ?

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on the "infomercial" being presented as a bona fide fact based piece of investigative journalism :ROFLMAO:

And the "well they're doing it" defence....really??

I would LOVE to see Southern Water stand up in court and use that as mitigation next time they are hauled up in front of the beak.....that would be hilarious (and would probably land them with a contempt charge to boot) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on the "infomercial" being presented as a bona fide fact based piece of investigative journalism :ROFLMAO:

And the "well they're doing it" defence....really??

I would LOVE to see Southern Water stand up in court and use that as mitigation next time they are hauled up in front of the beak.....that would be hilarious (and would probably land them with a contempt charge to boot) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was saying we are not alone, at no point have I said it is right to discharge partially treated sewage into rivers or the sea.

So how do we, because it is a problem caused by all of us, fix it? Pay more? Nationalise it?

Is your drive tarmac or block paved? Excess runoff from all those new roads that keep being built, keep building houses for that expanding population......... the list goes on.

Consumerism........... the root of all wrongs and we all do it. :)

I was saying we are not alone, at no point have I said it is right to discharge partially treated sewage into rivers or the sea.

So how do we, because it is a problem caused by all of us, fix it? Pay more? Nationalise it?

Is your drive tarmac or block paved? Excess runoff from all those new roads that keep being built, keep building houses for that expanding population......... the list goes on.

Consumerism........... the root of all wrongs and we all do it. :)
And the real shame is that relaxed planning regulations often means no proper risk assessment is carried out on infrastructure capacity. Hence why there is a massive increase in pressure on ageing infrastructure that has suffered from a chronic lack of investment for 30 odd years.

The Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive (a fine piece of European forged legislation designed to raise standards across the majority of a continent that sovereign states were required to transpose in to domestic law) did much to improve thsoe standards.
But it is not the fault of Europe that it was not properly enforced, nor that the regulators in those sovereign states charged with its enforcement were systematically and chronically underfunded for decades. The UK did more than many in the EU to implement this, but without the teeth to enforce it.....

And now for those that are failing (in the EU) they will face the prospect of days in court and hefty daily fines from the EU for their failures to implement, Looking at the na'erdowells and shysters in charge in dear old Blighty, I sincerely wish there was some mechanism (outside of class action) that would hold them to account (and not just the manipulated will of the people).

And my drive is gravel - locally sourced, easy, slow percolation of precipitation and no surface run-off, see? ;)

Again - with the "we all do it" nonsense! - stop it you tinker!

Being a Tory, I thought you might get that Capitalism #101 is that the people must consume to create wealth (for the privileged to cream off, obvs). You literally voted for this!

Last edited:
Good a place as any......................... million a day fine for Poland for not kneeling to the EU boot. 🤷‍♀️

And that is on top of the 1/2 million a day fine for not closing a coal mine.........

"His conservative-nationalist government has already been ordered by the ECJ to pay €500,000 a day for failing to shut down temporarily the enormous Turow coal mine and power plant close to the German and Czech borders. Poland has refused to pay that fine because it argues the plant heats and provides water to local homes."

Good a place as any......................... million a day fine for Poland for not kneeling to the EU boot. 🤷‍♀️

And that is on top of the 1/2 million a day fine for not closing a coal mine.........

"His conservative-nationalist government has already been ordered by the ECJ to pay €500,000 a day for failing to shut down temporarily the enormous Turow coal mine and power plant close to the German and Czech borders. Poland has refused to pay that fine because it argues the plant heats and provides water to local homes."

Poland won't pay any of it.

No need. Just deduct it from the vast sums of money the EU deposits in Poland's coffers.

The EU are threatening to withhold Pandemic Recovery Funds but the EU have to be careful politically that this doesn't fire up Eurosceptic sentiment across the rest of Europe or in Poland*.

*Currently, sentiment in Poland is very much in support of the EU but that could easily change if the EU is seen to seriously overstep the line. Von Der Leyen has the ability to say the wrong thing which could go in this direction if she isn't careful.

Yes, let's pick a fight with out nearest neighbours. 🤦‍♂️ The Brexiteers will love it.

We'll deprived then of our er, er, whisky and er.... that will show them.

Back
Top Bottom