Away Match Day Thread 09/03/2021 L1 Swindon Town v OUFC

The highlights don’t do us justice
Moore and Taylor x2 had really decent chances which are not shown
Our overall control of my he game was very good

Watching back this morning with a few observations!

The first goal had a really good build up with Ruffels picking the ball up on the left and driving infield which created space behind him on the wing. Moore hits a great cross field ball in to Barker who then had the space to run at their defence. When he had the shot, there were 4 Oxford players ahead of the ball, including Kelly who made a pretty useless run from right to left, but this meant that the defence were rattled and contributed to the legs being stuck out for the deflection.

Our second goal was all about Dan. He jumps early and unsettles the defender then he's on his way (from the left wing ironically!). The run on the inside by LCP not only pulled the defence apart, but also made the keeper expect the cross which left him slow to react to Dan's early shot. From both players it was something we've been missing, a striker testing the keeper early and someone following up to get any rebounds.

Stevens had a mixed game. The penalty save was incredible and that alone is enough! But he flapped on a few occasions, and we've not seen that before. The time he came out to deal with a simple Atkinson header and the goal were scrappy at best. The pitch was awful, and lighting poor, and I wonder if these things affected him more? But I've no doubt that he's strong mentally and will be back on his A game on Saturday.

Taylor needs a goal. I thought his overall game was as good as we've seen for a while. But he's snatching and pulling at shots, and desperately needs a deflection like Barker, or one to come off his a**e and go in. I'd still look to start him on Saturday, but use Dan earlier if we're getting no joy.

Of the others, everyone was good without hugely standing out. Forde is an all round player that will put a shift in wherever he plays and his set pieces were much better. The centre backs were strong. Ruffels gave little away without looking completely comfortable. Kelly linked play well in my opinion, Sykes was busy and disruptive without creating much, and Barker was more positive and obviously got the important goal. But Cameron Brannagan was back to his best, a leader, a fighter and a player that has everything. If he played in the home fixture then we'd have won, simply because he really gets these games and would have everyone fighting until the final whistle. I didn't hear about him being injured but he would be a huge loss right now.

Finally, I know we didn't see much of him, but I'm really excited about Leon Chambers-Parillon. He looks like the next Shandon Baptiste and can drive forward in a way that we've missed since McGuane has been out. I hope that we'll see more and more of him this season and he'll be a permanent fixture next season.

The first goal had a really good build up with Ruffels picking the ball up on the left and driving infield which created space behind him on the wing. Moore hits a great cross field ball in to Barker who then had the space to run at their defence. When he had the shot, there were 4 Oxford players ahead of the ball, including Kelly who made a pretty useless run from right to left, but this meant that the defence were rattled and contributed to the legs being stuck out for the deflection.

Our second goal was all about Dan. He jumps early and unsettles the defender then he's on his way (from the left wing ironically!). The run on the inside by LCP not only pulled the defence apart, but also made the keeper expect the cross which left him slow to react to Dan's early shot. From both players it was something we've been missing, a striker testing the keeper early and someone following up to get any rebounds.

Stevens had a mixed game. The penalty save was incredible and that alone is enough! But he flapped on a few occasions, and we've not seen that before. The time he came out to deal with a simple Atkinson header and the goal were scrappy at best. The pitch was awful, and lighting poor, and I wonder if these things affected him more? But I've no doubt that he's strong mentally and will be back on his A game on Saturday.

Taylor needs a goal. I thought his overall game was as good as we've seen for a while. But he's snatching and pulling at shots, and desperately needs a deflection like Barker, or one to come off his a**e and go in. I'd still look to start him on Saturday, but use Dan earlier if we're getting no joy.

Of the others, everyone was good without hugely standing out. Forde is an all round player that will put a shift in wherever he plays and his set pieces were much better. The centre backs were strong. Ruffels gave little away without looking completely comfortable. Kelly linked play well in my opinion, Sykes was busy and disruptive without creating much, and Barker was more positive and obviously got the important goal. But Cameron Brannagan was back to his best, a leader, a fighter and a player that has everything. If he played in the home fixture then we'd have won, simply because he really gets these games and would have everyone fighting until the final whistle. I didn't hear about him being injured but he would be a huge loss right now.

Finally, I know we didn't see much of him, but I'm really excited about Leon Chambers-Parillon. He looks like the next Shandon Baptiste and can drive forward in a way that we've missed since McGuane has been out. I hope that we'll see more and more of him this season and he'll be a permanent fixture next season.
Only thing disagree with is away at Hull a pacy , strong forward in Dan needs to start , like Pompey away . He deserves a chance to start .

I think Barker is getting a raw deal on here - perhaps because he seemed so promising when he first joined and then his performances dropped off for a few games? But, for me, if last night’s performance had come just after signing we’d all be buzzing about it. He constantly got the ball, drove at the fullback, fizzed balls in as well as hung up a few good crosses and won a couple of corners. On the Swindon forum there are a few comments about how their right back was absolutely roasted all game and they can’t believe he didn’t come off.

Barker was one of our best players on the night for me.

Complete aside, and apologies if this has been done already but I’m not going to hunt through 41 pages…

…any budding statto out there know if that was the first ever A420 derby played in an away kit?
If memory serves "They" played in a Blue away kit at ours

Only thing disagree with is away at Hull a pacy , strong forward in Dan needs to start , like Pompey away . He deserves a chance to start .
Tbh, with Ruffels' current form against wingers with pace....am more concerned about Wilks. Ruffels seems to have a torrid first half, followed by getting to grips in the second half...this time, Ruffels doesn't have Obita to help him out as he did in the home match - Shodipo or Barker will have to put in a big defensive shift

I think Barker is getting a raw deal on here - perhaps because he seemed so promising when he first joined and then his performances dropped off for a few games? But, for me, if last night’s performance had come just after signing we’d all be buzzing about it. He constantly got the ball, drove at the fullback, fizzed balls in as well as hung up a few good crosses and won a couple of corners. On the Swindon forum there are a few comments about how their right back was absolutely roasted all game and they can’t believe he didn’t come off.

The Swindon fans on their forum wished they'd signed him rather than Garrick as he had end product at the end of his runs.

Tbh, with Ruffels' current form against wingers with pace....am more concerned about Wilks. Ruffels seems to have a torrid first half, followed by getting to grips in the second half...this time, Ruffels doesn't have Obita to help him out as he did in the home match - Shodipo or Barker will have to put in a big defensive shift
Don’t forget they have Gavin Whyte as well as Wilks, i also remember the fake at the Kastad they relied on Wilks a lot and played the ball out to him more than any other outlet they may have used.

I admit to being slightly underwhelmed by Barker since he came in. Predominantly because he drifts out of games a lot. That said, yesterday there were real signs that the understanding with the front players is getting better. Still not perfect of course, but they are increasingly understanding when to drive forward, when to hold back and so on. He also did a lot more defensively yesterday as well. I think he got the derby (as you may expect for someone from Rangers).

The difference in this case is that Ruffels has played against Wilks a few times now, including when Wilks was at Donny. Garrick I think was a new player for him and Garrick didn't get much change out of him from about 30 mins onwards.

He had a good game but decision making and bottling challenges are the only two faults I have of him. But as said before, he’s still learning.
obviously Agyei & Steven’s are being picked out for their arguably bigger parts to the win.

I admit to being slightly underwhelmed by Barker since he came in. Predominantly because he drifts out of games a lot. That said, yesterday there were real signs that the understanding with the front players is getting better. Still not perfect of course, but they are increasingly understanding when to drive forward, when to hold back and so on. He also did a lot more defensively yesterday as well. I think he got the derby (as you may expect for someone from Rangers).

Taylor needs to go for the near post when Barker crosses as that seems to be where a lot of his crosses go.

Agree with pretty much all of that , aside from a couple of things. Moore was outstanding last night and Taylor was poor (sorry).
Agree that Jack had an average game, but hey, average game where you save a penalty at 1-0? You'd take that.

On form Taylor is levels above Agyei and I’ll never accept otherwise, he’s just bang out of form at the moment so get Agyei in there
Defo, although apart from score, I thought Taylor did well. He just needs that goal. Our system leaves him too isolated though.

While I have no time for the scum or their affairs. Taking off both centre backs at the same time like that is a managerial no-no that very often ends in losing the dressing room... let’s hope that it is the case here.👍🏽😂

Agree with this. If we'd given Barker the ball more throughout the match, he'd have shone more. He's the kind of player we've been missing.

Maybe it's the times we're in but i for one don't want to see them drop through the Leagues or go bust, no fans of any club deserves that and let's be frank both sets of fans would miss the "Derby".

Back
Top Bottom