Not open for further replies.

Foley

PRE-MATCH PACK

πŸ“Ή πŸ”œ Interview - Des Buckingham
πŸ“Ή πŸ”œ Interview - Opposition Manager
πŸ“° πŸ”œ OUFC Match Preview
πŸ—“οΈ Head to Head

Can we do it again?
For Lincoln- they have to win, so will have to go for it.
I like the idea that we have some tough games coming up. If we make the play offs , we will hopefully go in with some form against sine very good teams. Suddenly teams in the play offs won't be so keen on playing us.
If fully fit, I would play Cam and JM seems to struggle fitness wise playing full games.
A win and we are nearly there. Hopefully another near on 10k crowd. What an end to the season this could be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lincoln were flying when there was no pressure on, they were never expected to make the playoffs from where they were but once they got into position they started stuttering. Also they were fortunate to be getting the results they were but I've been over that enough times.

They're no mugs but I think people have got carried away after a freakish run, despite them going mental scoring almost every shot they had for a bit their strength is actually their defence. Like you say they have to go for it which plays into our hands a bit, no one will relish playing us at the moment. Saturday seemed a turning point where everyone started to see what we were trying to do and came together and I think it'll be us on a roll now.
Only thing in the back of my mind is Lincoln certainly feel hard done by with the result against Wigan (if some of their fans reactions are anything to go by), and we might expect a bit of a reaction to their last two indifferent results. That's if they have the minerals . . .
We on the other hand need to simply focus on our game and play it as well as we have in the last three.

Only thing in the back of my mind is Lincoln certainly feel hard done by with the result against Wigan (if some of their fans reactions are anything to go by), and we might expect a bit of a reaction to their last two indifferent results. That's if they have the minerals . . .
We on the other hand need to simply focus on our game and play it as well as we have in the last three.
Lincoln will certainly be bang up for it. It will be interesting to see what game plan they employ.

We can also overtake Barnsley, who have Portsmouth and Blackpool to play away in their next two games, so winning both of these two games will give us a very good chance of coming fifth and playing the team we just beat 5-0 over the team that not long ago beat us 5-0, I know you would still maybe have to play either Bolton or Derby but at least its a one off at Wembley.
Weirdly, I think I’d prefer Bolton in the play off games (semis) if we get there as I wouldn’t want to get the backlash from Peterborough, plus I’d like to think we’d have a point to prove! Additionally, Bolton (or Derby) might feel aggrieved at not making the autos which might play into our hands!

All swings and roundabouts, but at the end of the day I’d just love us to win at Wembley again in the play off final. πŸ€žπŸ™ŒπŸ‘βš½οΈβš½οΈβš½οΈβš½οΈβš½οΈβš½οΈ

Last edited:
The other thing I’m concerned about is our fitness. We seemed dead on our feet in the last 15-20mins on Saturday which was fully understandable, so just hoping we can recover for tomorrow’s game, plus Friday’s! If we can win both then that gives us 8 days for the players to have a good rest/recovery🀞

On a selfish note, I'd rather we finish 6th because I wouldn't be able to make the home leg on Saturday 4th. But then would we rather have a Bolton or Derby in the semis or a final?

My preferred outcome would be
3rd - Bolton/Derby
4th - Oxford
5th - Peterborough (they drop loads of points in their last 4 and we win all ours)
6th - Barnsley

We beat Peterborough in the semis
Barnsley have a freak win over 3rd against all odds

We smash Barnsley in the final.

Derby or Bolton in the final will be tough as they'll sell out and make loads of noise.

Am I getting ahead of myself here?

Last edited:
This will be a tough game but the way we are playing at the moment I think it will be another 3 points for the U’S.
3-1 United win.

The psychology and mentality of both teams going into this game is fascinating.

Lincoln have been on an amazing run, but drew against "lowly" Reading and lost to "lowly" Wigan on Saturday. They can almost see their playoff tilt evaporating before their eyes and they now need a result away to the form side of the division. If they can't keep clean sheets against Wigan and Reading (not to mention Carlisle), what hope do they have against free-scoring Oxford??

So, there's the quandry for them. They HAVE to go for it. Their confidence has been knocked in the last two. They can't keep a clean sheet. We're on fire. We will be roared on by a big midweek crowd.

I'm predicting 0-0 :ROFLMAO:
Oh god, I wish you hadn’t said that!

And don’t forget the balloons!!

I think it’ll be Brannagan & Moore in for McEachran & Stevens. Sounds very much like they could’ve been risked Saturday but were held back for tomorrow.
Or go with the same team as Saturday with Brannagan and Moore on the bench if we can e.g. McEachran’s able to play again etc.

I thought Long had one of his best game’s Saturday, and seems much better in that central defensive role. Also feel Stevens offers that bit more going forward, and can deliver a great ball into the box when hit first time. Been wanting us to do this for a long time. Just think it helps for the attacking players as they can time their runs better!

I'm nervous now I've listened to this:

but interesting that George Elek said that in the last few games we are way better in the number of chances created than all other teams in the division . and that as Lincoln need to win they are going to be very vulnerable to our transition

On a selfish note, I'd rather we finish 6th because I wouldn't be able to make the home leg on Saturday 4th. But then would we rather have a Bolton or Derby in the semis or a final?

My preferred outcome would be
3rd - Bolton/Derby
4th - Oxford
5th - Peterborough (they drop loads of points in their last 4 and we win all ours)
6th - Barnsley

We beat Peterborough in the semis
Barnsley have a freak win over 3rd against all odds

We smash Barnsley in the final.

Derby or Bolton in the final will be tough as they'll sell out and make loads of noise.

Am I getting ahead of myself here?
Yes you're 'waffling' on a bit!!
πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

A re-run of 1962. A glorious August evening with Lincoln City as the visitors. First ever home game in the Football League in front of 10,500 spectators. United concede early, but fight back to win 2-1. Same battling performance please.

Or go with the same team as Saturday with Brannagan and Moore on the bench if we can e.g. McEachran’s able to play again etc.

I thought Long had one of his best game’s Saturday, and seems much better in that central defensive role. Also feel Stevens offers that bit more going forward, and can deliver a great ball into the box when hit first time. Been wanting us to do this for a long time. Just think it helps for the attacking players as they can time their runs better!
Agreed

Elek also points out how much better our stats are without Brannagan's long shots. We had two long shots against Peterborough and one of those was Billy Bodin's

I started dot counting for this one late Saturday evening, and as it's a short time frame, did a further count midway through yesterday, and at midnight.

First count had us at just over 7,000 home GA sales, and the count at midnight was just short of 7,300. Not earth shattering, but reasonable. It's hard to compare and forecast for midweek games (especially re-arranged games) and the closest I have is Bolton, back in November. It was against a similar calibre of opposition (although some may claim Bolton to be more attractive than Lincoln, the importance of this game counter balances that) and at the same stage we are about 400 ahead. That game ended with 7,742 home sales. I'd hope for a bigger take up today and tomorrow and would currently forecast about 8,200 home sales. Lincoln have sold over 1,000 (although supposedly Peterborough had, and they never materialised!) so probably looking at 9,200 total.

Before anyone says that's poor, it's worth looking at where sales are down compared to last Saturday's game. The family area of the North Stand is down considerably, by about 400. East Stand sales are very good, and on par with Saturday, and SSL and SSU are both about 150 down, with the VIP area having 40 unsold seats.

I think every game should be sold out, and can't imagine not going to a game, but not everyone is me, and not everyone is at my stage of life. I feel we have to accept that, especially with three home games in under a week, and one of them televised, people may have to make difficult choices, and those choices will affect games like this. It's worth looking at midweek games in previous seasons as a comparison, and we are way up on those.

We'd have undoubtably had a bigger attendance for the original date this game was scheduled for, but given the respective form of the two sides, then verses now, I'll take playing them tomorrow when we're on fire, rather than on the original date, when they were on fire and we weren't, even if there's a few hundred fewer people watching it.
I did another count at 2pm and we've sold over 200 this morning and stand at exactly 7,500 home GA sales. If we continue in this vein then I think we're looking at a good crowd. I'll hold off until tonight before doing my next count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom