Home Match Day Thread 16/4/24 Oxford United v Lincoln City

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We deserved a point tonight. I would say that was far from a shambles. Unless you’re talking about the ref playing into Lincoln’s hands?
We created very little, and didn't deal with their shithousary at all. They also missed a couple of absolute sitters in the first half.

We were poor tonight, but we've had three superb results and performances in a row, and that bubble was always gonna burst, so as long as we regroup and get ourselves up and running again for Stevenage, then it's still very much in our hands

Good to hear that Lee Swabey has created a new rule tonight that time is added on only if the trainer comes on the pitch for an injured player no matter how long it takes for the ball to get back in play.
Clearly a man who has more authority than the people that actually make the real rules!

Frustrating. I thought a draw would have been fair and play that game 10 times, we win it more times than most.

If Goodrham had scored that chance in the first half, it’s a very different match. One mess up for a penalty to put them in front and it changed again. We didn’t work the keeper enough to get anything from it.

We didn’t play badly neither played well enough too.

Annoying overall.

We created very little, and didn't deal with their shithousary at all. They also missed a couple of absolute sitters in the first half.

We were poor tonight, but we've had three superb results and performances in a row, and that bubble was always gonna burst, so as long as we regroup and get ourselves up and running again for Stevenage, then it's still very much in our hands
Didn't we miss 3 sisters in the first half?
Tyler has 2 and Harris really should have scored.
Their keeper made 2 to 3 morally good saves. Did Cummings make any?

Could be a blessing in disguise. I know we as a fan base were perhaps guilty after Saturday of getting ahead of ourselves (I booked the days of the playoffs off work yesterday ffs, talk about tempting fate), and the reality check for players and fans alike might be important for the next couple of games.

You'd rather be in our position than Lincoln or Blackpool. It's in our hands. We know two wins will do it. Win Friday and it will make the weekend a lot more enjoyable - fancy at least one of them to drop points.

yep, a couple in the first half- made em look easy

They did have two free headers at the start in fairness, but yeah I've forgotten most of our good chances after how little we unfortunately created in the second half.

I don’t think it was an “awful” OUFC performance, we’ve seen some awful ones don’t get me wrong.

First half we played ok, they played deep and, to be honest, 0-0 at half time suited us with them having to push forward second half. The penalty destroyed any HT discussion or plans. I suspect as the game had opened up we’d have looked to take them out on the counter.

I think in some respects we got the performances the wrong way round. I was hoping for 4 points with 3 against Lincoln. Harris looked a bit leggy (don’t blame him), Leigh looked off it for the most part etc. Murphy was marked out of the game mostly when going forward. Dale made a couple of errors we didn’t see on Saturday etc. etc.

With the way Lincoln play and the size of their team/use of ‘gamesmanship’ we may as well have thrown the ball back to them at corners and floated FKs. Tbh, anything whipped into the box wasn’t going to beat them.

I had a nagging feeling today wouldn’t go our way, ever since our return to league football we’ve had these 2-1 or 1-0 defeats against teams that have been bigger, outmuscled us, got a goal and killed the game. Happened under Wilder on several occasions as we sat back.

Good to see Cam Bran back, thought JM played well though and I like the shape he gives. I’ve been very disappointed with Long at RB but I think he’s performed very well at CB and I’d not be disappointed to see him stay there.

Second half was awful. We completely regressed to the worst version of us? Really, really f*****g slow moving the ball. MM didn't help that in the last 5 but I also think the CB sub was wrong...Owen/Murphy/Goodrham across the 3 is what was causing problems.

Terrified now. Which is my problem but it feels particularly cruel to have to play anti-football Fatty now, given he knows we can't deal with the gritty niggly stuff.

If CB comes in then it has to be for JM- and he HAS to be disciplined and not hold on to the ball for too long and give it to the front 3 and RR and sit in.

Feels like the day after Boxing Day when I was a kid.
Hang on, didn’t we beat Stevenage away from home?

I thought we actually played okay. We were the better team first half.

Today was totally on the ref. He was useless. By all account Ruben got the ball and he missed a clear Penalty on Harris a couple of minutes later. I actually can’t believe more isn’t being made of that. Not to mention the ball was out of play for the first 3 minutes of added time.

We’ve had a huge improvement over the last few weeks. I fancy us to finish off the season in style. On to Friday!

Second half was awful. We completely regressed to the worst version of us? Really, really f*****g slow moving the ball. MM didn't help that in the last 5 but I also think the CB sub was wrong...Owen/Murphy/Goodrham across the 3 is what was causing problems.

Terrified now. Which is my problem but it feels particularly cruel to have to play anti-football Fatty now, given he knows we can't deal with the gritty niggly stuff.

If CB comes in then it has to be for JM- and he HAS to be disciplined and not hold on to the ball for too long and give it to the front 3 and RR and sit in.

Feels like the day after Boxing Day when I was a kid.

...terrified?

Unfortunately that was typical Oxford tonight after the performance at the weekend you just knew it was going to be below par tonight. None of the players were really on it I hope out of the three games this week that's our worst

Anyways let be positive it's still in our hands I'd rather be in our position than Lincoln or Blackpool and I really wouldn't be surprised to see Barnsley drop out of the play offs

Lincoln were a horrible team niggly fouls contestant play acting And the ref played right into their hands

Thought we played reasonably well, first half could easily have been 3-2 to us, not sure how the game remained goalless given the number of really good chances.

The penalty (not sure if it was or wasn’t personally) changed the game completely, as it meant Lincoln could sit on the lead and keep the game tight, rather than having to be more open. They managed the game superbly I thought and barely gave us a real sniff, a very well organised and tough to play against side. Plenty of shithousery and dark arts thrown in for good measure, which we always struggle against. We kept plugging away and trying hard, there was just little in the way of out and out end product unfortunately. We needed one or two bigger men in the side to be a threat at set pieces and to try and ruffle their feathers a bit, and that’s what we need to add to the squad.

Playoffs still in our own hands, we can still do it, but Lincoln have shown us how tough achieving actual promotion will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom