Home Match Day Thread +++ 18/02/20 OUFC v AFC Wimbledon +++

Just got up after last night. Got back to Tenbury at about one after dropping off my mate Michael in Cheltenham. He can come again. My summary would be; we were great, they were poor. Hard to understand how they managed two all at Rotherham. Could it but have been a chance to give Spasov a few minutes rather than Mackie at the end?

To be fair that could have happened to us - when Sykes gave the ball away they were through on goal; they also had a couple of chances with balls to the back post. If luck was different we could have scored against Sunderland but conceded last night.

That may well be it. Very odd for the club’s staff to engage in such theatrics if so. I get it with the fans, but strange for employees to be so petty.

The club have amply demonstrated they are petty where MK Dons are concerned such as refusing pathetically to use the Dons on the programme or scoreboard plus lots more, not just for the 1st home game between them but all subsequent home games. The club have actually acted like a fan in this respect and they have pathetically shown themselves to be proud of this fact. Their past management has had run ins with KR as well iirc because of his MK Dons links. I was on Wimbledon's side in the discussion originally but now I have no sympathy for them as they acted pathetically whilst ignoring/justifying it was ok for them to takeover Kingstonian's ground.

Last night we saw the benefit of playing a more attacking RB in the team with Henry out wide - not intended as a slight to Long in any way - and how it enables us to retain the ball and attack the opposition wave after wave.
That's a good point.
Of the players we have lost. I think that we have missed Cadden most. Having one attacking full back makes big difference to how we play and create.

It would be 2 games. However, I think you just need to allow Dickie to play his natural game and not worry about the yellow until it happens. We need to keep a stable side for as long as possible and not try to manipulate the situation.

Just keep him as Captain. :)

Wimbledon were the poorest team we've seen at home this year and that includes a Conference team. They also seemed to have a manager that hadn't watched us play recently - rather than trying to press us, they sat back and encouraged us to play.

As I often do, I had a quick look at their forum after the game (not an easy process as the format hasn't been updated since 2000) and amongst some realism there were the usual delusional comments. One poster reckoned they weren't outplayed but just didn't defend well. He obviously didn't watch the game - the woodwork, a couple of good saves and some profligate finishing saved them an utter thrashing.

Other than Swindon, they are the team I hate the most - self-pitying, self-regarding, yet with some sense of moral superiority. They've never managed to shake off that non-league mentality and I'd love nothing more than to see them drop back through the leagues. It was a great story - starting from the Combined Counties, climbing through the leagues and moving back to their original home, all as a fan owned club - but their sheer small-mindedness gets my back up.

I also had a quick look at their forum and genuinely "wtf" when some of them blamed their keeper for conceding 5 goals. They clearly weren't watching on iFollow or at the game as Joe Day kept the score down to 5 and was by far their best player!

It would be 2 games. However, I think you just need to allow Dickie to play his natural game and not worry about the yellow until it happens. We need to keep a stable side for as long as possible and not try to manipulate the situation.

I’m thinking more one for dissent. Not suggesting he concedes unnecessary fouls that could result in a goal against us. I know what you’re saying but we will be gutted if he doesn’t get this out of the way now and then misses one of the real crunch games. We have to be a bit clever and canny here and try and manipulate the situation.

We were back to our best last night, yes Wimbledon looked poor but in their last two games they drew with Rotherham and Ipswich. We seemed to get the ball forward earlier and quicker than we have lately.
Looking forward to Ipswich on Saturday and if we get a result there we can start to believe again.

I’m thinking more one for dissent. Not suggesting he concedes unnecessary fouls that could result in a goal against us. I know what you’re saying but we will be gutted if he doesn’t get this out of the way now and then misses one of the real crunch games. We have to be a bit clever and canny here and try and manipulate the situation.

Problem is there are no givens in this league, we could come unstuck v Accy or Southend without dickie?
Just play the game and fingers crossed.

That may well be it. Very odd for the club’s staff to engage in such theatrics if so. I get it with the fans, but strange for employees to be so petty.
Wombles staff were like that last season too, well one of them. Their kit man - may have another role, but not "coaching" more backroom staff if you know what I mean - refused to shake Karl's hand and obviously said something to him at the end of the draw last April and it nearly kicked off then too.
I think most fans had sympathy for them in 02-03 when MK took their club, but they've won haven't they? They're in the same league as MK on much smaller resources and despite a nine division head start.
I can understand fans hating anyone to do with MK - I guess Mackie to them is a player that started with us and ended up with the scummers and Karl must be their version of Macari, Hoddle, McMahon and di Canio all rolled in to one..... but back room and coaching staff need to grow up and get rid of the chip from their shoulder.

And we have Woodburn to come back, just think of the damage we could do to teams then.
The only concern I have KR says he could be back next week, Great but if against Accrington I would be fearful that that t**t doesn’t crock him again especially with the s**t ref we had at their place who deemed it not a foul.

After the more positive performance (if not result) against Sunderland, I'm not surprised we won but certainly not by that scoreline. Hopefully, this will be the "Lincoln" of the second half of the season and be the catalyst for a good run. The desire to score throughout was very pleasing (possibly, a reaction to the Sunderland game). This is the best kind of game to have played after a packed fixture schedule.
AFC were pretty awful and played right into our hands. The ref probably felt sorry for them. They didn't really test us or make much of an attempt to do so, which is a surprise given we didn't have a defensive midfielder. The only really scary moment was when Sykes gave the ball away but Eastwood did very well.
Dickie and Moore were strong and dominant. Moore never seems to give the ball away.
Forde gave a good attacking options (in combination with JH), got caught out position a couple of times but he is getting used to the role.
Great to see CB and JH getting back into form as we have missed their contributions, MT scoring a couple after a slow start to 2020 and Holland starting to make a significant contribution. Some of the interplay was very pleasing.
Agyei showed his good and bad sides when he came on. Direct and energetic but didn't always make the best decision.
I can see why Mackie came on. It gave him a chance to break his goal drought against a team that were on the ropes sadly, it didn't happen for him.

Ipswich will be a very different game. Let's hope this game wasn't a false dawn but we can go there in good heart. Lets hope the match isn't too wet & windy.

COYY

The only concern I have KR says he could be back next week, Great but if against Accrington I would be fearful that that t**t doesn’t crock him again especially with the s**t ref we had at their place who deemed it not a foul.
weve had a number of players this season injured, which due no protection from ( different L1) referees mayve been avoidable or less serious / long term injuries .... as well as Woodburn theres been Napa, Forde, Baptisite, amongst others

Back
Top Bottom