Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
The milk analogy is actually very good.

We've got £1.30 to spend our usual 4 pints, the standard own label 4 pinter - perfectly decent, with 7 days life on it.

But wait, what's that? Cravendale 4 pint, usually £2.50, reduced to £1.30 because it goes off tomorrow.
You're seduced by the Brand. It may go off, but what if it lasts a couple more days? What if it's that bit more delicious? Even for half a week? Imagine?
Of course it might be. You may get a couple of days out of it. It may even be so delicious that one creamy coffee was job done.

But it's probably more likely that you'll pour it over your corn flakes the following morning and it comes out in chunks and you wish you'd got the solid own label version - cool, refreshing, and sorting your tea, coffee and cereal for the week reliably.

Maybe we should occasionally just go by the use by dates.

This has got to be one of the highlights of this Jones discussion. What a rollercoaster of literature.

I think we can risk one squad place on an injury prone winger who might work out, as long as the rest of the squad is solid.
Yes, you agree with my point then as that was essentially what I said! However, as i also pointed out that isn't the case here, we have three other players who are either coming back from a serious injury or who have a difficult injury history.

At what point do we stop referring to Bodin as an injury prone player? He’s come through the last 12 months not that much worse than your average squad player in terms of appearances. He played more than even I expected and to a very good level.

We dish out constantly about Hanson, Winnall etc but it’s about time we start handing out some credit when we get them right as well. Fitness team has done incredibly well with him and he was a big part of our season.
I would say, his ability is above average for the squad, in my view anyway. He only played 21 games last season so I think it remains to be seen how fit he stays this season.

Jordan Graham has gone to play in the Championship.
Bodin was a gamble that definitely came off.

So was Nathan Holland as he played plenty of games last season after serious injury problems over the previous seasons. Likewise Sam Long had major injury problems earlier in his career.

Although maybe for his own health, he should have retired.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Could you imagine Cameron Brannigan ending up making cups of tea at the Town Hall like Dave Langan did?

The argument about footballers earning high wages because of their short career does seem relevant here (and I'm not talking about Premier League wages).

Anyway, not transfer news related so please move on...

Last edited:
He didn't play a single minute in the league that season, so that's interesting.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jodi-jones/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/354695/plus/0?saison=2019

Apologies, I've mixed him up with another player. 😅. His stats are worrying 111 appearances in 8 seasons isn't great but you know we will take the gamble on finding the player in him that scored 5 and assisted 6 in 19 appearances in Coventry's promotion season out of league 2. Can only be a pay per game contract though.

I think there are a few of you lot who need too give your head a wobble.

If we are yet again going down the route of signing injury prone players then we shouldn't expect a different result. I understand the notion that we wouldn't have got them if they were fully fit, but surely the fact that these players have had major injuries means that by definition, they aren't the players they once were and are not ever likely to be. What on earth makes us think our staff at OUFC are any more in the know than the likes of Coventry City etc when it comes to understanding sports science and the most likely outcome of 3 major injuries? Im absolutely baffled.

The most frustrating thing for me is that we continue to look beyond our requirements in our push for promotion. We seem seduced by getting in the best quality players we can, whatever their physical issues, whilst blissfully ignoring our need for aggression, strength, endurance and know how. Its almost as if we believe we are a team of clobbers who need a sprinkle of stardust when in reality we are an exceptional, technically proficient squad who are crying out for a few clobbers to achieve something special.

We don't need higher quality! Mcnally, Moore, Bran, Henry, Taylor, Browne, Baldock are all superb at this level, and could arguably play in the Championship. We need DIFFERENT qualities. The kind of qualities that will see you over the line against physical opposition. BALANCE.

Now, I realise I may be premature in my rant here, but it is worrying and terribly frustrating when Jones is the first signing we are talking about. Of course he is very good at football, no one is doubting that, but his return to being the player he once was has an element of roulette to it - as does the recovery of Browne, Gorin, Bodin, Baldock. Teams who achieve are able to keep their best players on the pitch for the most amount of time. Its very possible that the above players will have to be wrapped in cotton wool (if they don't suffer a set back of course), and I just think we are being naive in what this league demands in order to be successful.

Its very hard to lay back and trust the process when every bone in your body feels that the process is hopelessly flawed.
The Sheffield united player that went onto Gillingham is a casing point. One would have hoped by now that buying players with such an injury record as this Coventry lad, and his seems worse than others we have had, would be a thing of the past. Why does kr seem to want to take such punts when they rarely come off. When the Sheffield lad went and got injured, the squad loses its imbalance and options open to kr.
Is this really the result of months of research by the recruitment team , or a knee jerk reaction to losing out on our main targets.
Both the fact that kr talks about loans being lined up to come in before buying permanent players, and again looking at crocs points towards first targets being lost.
It maybe not, but why would the club and kr hint at a healthy budget, yet we are playing catch up with other teams as we seem to do other seasons. Cadden was a target, yet someone in the know states that deal is as far away as it ever was.

We're Oxford fans, we love success, but we've also handled a lot of adversity over the last 40 years. This yearly cycle that happens in terms of recruitment, that we are told targets are sourced months in advance which doesn't seem to then follow through in terms of signings. Please just be honest with us if things are not quite as rosy in terms of recruitment, or at least don't pretend we have Messi lined up if its really loans and a serious risky croc.

Why is kr following the path currently to fall fowl of the new board and setting himself to seemingly get sacked sooner rather than later? This may all change hopefully for the sake of the club, but currently he is playing Russian Roulette with his future at the club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom