Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should have just stuck with your first three words.

"Well that's rubbish!"

Robinson was over in Ireland only a few weeks ago and was involved with previous Irish signings. Of course Mark Thomas and others do the stats on suitable players but the idea that some signings are more important than others is ridiculous. There were many reasons why Cooper didn't work out, and McNally was rightly eased into the first team. I don't know the reasons why Smyth has dropped away if he has, but the idea it's because Robinson has an issue with Irish players is rubbish.

But let's not forget that this came from @AH who posted this beauty only a few days ago!

Maybe we shouldn't give to much credit to what he posts after all!!

Slightly off with how it’s worded but a move was pushed by Brannagans side whether you like it or not. If the board had decided against paying the new contract terms his team wanted, he would be a Blackpool player today. He was off as late as 7pm Thursday night.. fact

How did Dane Scarlett play for us yesterday? Oh wait.. he plays for Pompey.
How did Dominic Thompson play for us yesterday? Oh wait.. he plays for Blackpool.

Do better Egg, when it comes to getting things wrong you’d top the list on this forum.

It's all well and good having money but the proof is in the pudding of wether the board actually spend it. I won't be happy if come the end of the window we sign Jerome Sinclair to solve all our problems upfront!
What do you think we spent on players like Findlay then? Chocolate buttons?

Very true.

The debate about "Taylor up front on his own doesn't work" is an interesting one.

As said above, it has worked, but and a big BUT, it has worked when we have dominated teams and had 60% plus possession. Then we are genuinely playing 433 and the two wide players up top are playing 15-20 yards away from Matty.

They get lots of the ball to run at opposition fullbacks or cut inside. So Matty is getting fed with cut backs from the bye line or short clever balls into the box where he can excel as a fox in the box.

When we don't have so much possession and are getting pinned back, so that we are often in 4141 shape, then the wide players are 30-40 yards away from him and Matty is being given long balls to contest against 2 (or 3) big centre halves. Not going to work.

It was great when he had those few games with Sam, but (and I agree with KR's reasoning) that depended on having 3 at the back and an unusual and exceptional talent in McNallyy being able to bring the ball out of defence.

With the number and type of wide players we have then I can see we will usually play 433. I just hope that against most teams we will have the possession to make that work.

PS we do need another striker!
Not sure i can agree with this. we have seen Matty very effective when we play as a counter attacking team, in fact i would go as far as to say it is one of our main strengths.

There is a debate about Matty every season at various times and like most strikers he has his good spells and less one's, there is no denying we and he looked sharper with Baldock around but is/ can be just as good as the lone man. At the end of the day it comes down to service.

Slightly off with how it’s worded but a move was pushed by Brannagans side whether you like it or not. If the board had decided against paying the new contract terms his team wanted, he would be a Blackpool player today. He was off as late as 7pm Thursday night.. fact

How did Dane Scarlett play for us yesterday? Oh wait.. he plays for Pompey.
How did Dominic Thompson play for us yesterday? Oh wait.. he plays for Blackpool.

Do better Egg, when it comes to getting things wrong you’d top the list on this forum.

Desperate.

I have never said that we would sign Dane Scarlett. I have never said that we would sign Dom Thompson. Only that these were names mentioned on this forum as you well know.

The FACT is that Brannagan didn't push for a move, didn't tell the club he wanted to go, and is very clearly still committed to Oxford. You simply couldn't have got that any more wrong!

So why should anyone believe the rubbish you have spouted about Smyth not playing because he isn't a KR signing?!

What do you think we spent on players like Findlay then? Chocolate buttons?

But we still haven't addressed the wing backs and the 3rd striker so maybe we should start offering chocolate buttons. Our bench yesterday was most probably the weakest in the league (especially in attacking sense)

Not sure i can agree with this. we have seen Matty very effective when we play as a counter attacking team, in fact i would go as far as to say it is one of our main strengths.

There is a debate about Matty every season at various times and like most strikers he has his good spells and less one's, there is no denying we and he looked sharper with Baldock around but is/ can be just as good as the lone man. At the end of the day it comes down to service.
The thing is about that, though, is every year that we have the debate, he’s got another year in the legs and the standard of the league has got higher and we as a club are also aiming higher year on year. Have we outgrown him? Maybe. Or possibly it’ll just take time to start finding him - he was slow out of the traps last year as well so I’m sure it’ll work itself out.

Taylor is a dream in the box. Mr right place, right time and I’m not for a second suggesting he has nothing to contribute. Had it been Murphy or Jones rather than Henry yesterday, the 3 playing behind Taylor are as good as anything you’ll see in L1 on paper so he will get chances. But on days like yesterday it’s not unusual to have limited service but he still has a job to do and I think we need a totally different type of player on days like yesterday. We have so much energy in that midfield with some of the best ball carriers in the division but they couldn’t get past half way for much of 2nd half as Taylor was so off the pace. It isn’t his game to win loose balls and chase lost causes and we need someone who can.

I haven’t seen Smyth but maybe they feel that he isn’t at the level. That’s what the management does isn’t it, make decisions on players. He will probably get loaned out.

Desperate.

I have never said that we would sign Dane Scarlett. I have never said that we would sign Dom Thompson. Only that these were names mentioned on this forum as you well know.

The FACT is that Brannagan didn't push for a move, didn't tell the club he wanted to go, and is very clearly still committed to Oxford. You simply couldn't have got that any more wrong!

So why should anyone believe the rubbish you have spouted about Smyth not playing because he isn't a KR signing?!
I hate to say this but stop mate just stop, use your breath at more important times as your wasting your time.

people craved news since the last ball was kicked last season and when it's offered, some just set out on a points scoring agenda on right or wrong. it's become so boring and tiresome.

People diss the type of players we're going after but also don't want Sinclair and his like, after all it's all so easy.

Another striker told us to foxtrot oscar today, ah well, now who deals with passport applications :unsure:

I wouldn't question Taylor's ability to be effective as a lone striker, but I'm convinced that he can't do that for 90 minutes week-in week-out. Even when Baldock is available, we still need at least one other striking option.

Last edited:
KR confirms he wants to sign 3 players.

He wants a creative midfielder, a winger & a striker. Poured cold water on a right back as Golding has been doing well there in training.

Transfer talk here - 15.35 to 16.55

He finishes by saying ‘we know where we need to strengthen.’

No Karl you really don’t know by the sounds of things 🤯

He wants a creative midfielder, a winger & a striker. Poured cold water on a right back as Golding has been doing well there in training.

I’m willing to put on a sizeable wager here and now that we sign more than 3 players. Appreciate we only have his words to go from but there absolutely no way he only adds 3 players to this squad - even I’ll be starting to question.

I don't think we can read too much into what KR says - he does tend to talk gibberish, particularly post-match. As I pointed out on the match thread, he also made up a new medical diagnosis whilst talking about Wildschut's injury......

.....what he says and what he does are often two very different things.

That being said, if he is speaking the truth, and he doesn't sign a full back and leaves us with only five senior defenders again (one of whom we know can't defend), after that same lack of squad balance cost us a shot at the playoffs last year, then in my mind, that's a firing offense!

But I am more inclined to believe that UTO is correct and we've got another FB on the way soon.

I wouldn't question Taylor's ability to be effective as a lone striker, but I'm convinced that he can't do that for 90 minutes week-in week-out. Even when Baldock is available, we still need at least on other striking option.
Yes that’s right, Taylor works brilliantly as a lone striker apart from when he doesn’t! Then we need another option

When Gorrin came on we dropped way too deep. Gorrin basically dropped in between the two CB’s rather the pushing up and closing the space. Maybe to be expected after being out for so long.

Poor to have O’donkor & Goodrham on the bench and not even bring them on. Especially when you have 5 subs and at that point nothing to lose in the game. Throw a CB on in the 90th minute though for a free kick. Very poor decision making there from KR imo. Very little to lose from being on Donk & Goodrham.
There was no way the youngsters were going to come on in that situation. If we'd have been at least 3-0 up then it might have happened!! Could be said what was the point of them being there but because KR and his management team have been slow in the transfer window there wasn't anyone else. Signing Jones too late for him to be included was quite frankly incompetent.

I wouldn't question Taylor's ability to be effective as a lone striker, but I'm convinced that he can't do that for 90 minutes week-in week-out. Even when Baldock is available, we still need at least on other striking option.
Also when Taylor has been marked out of the game, we've sometimes looked like never scoring. We've been so blessed in recent years with a very effective and creative midfield who can score goals but we can't always rely on that or expect to get 50+ goals out of the middle of the park every season. He's also not getting any younger plus an injury would leave us in an horrendous position in terms of options available. Two more strikers required IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom