Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
4/5 signings needed.

• Forde being sold means we need a right back to compete with or replace Long. There is also doubts over Long’s hamstrings.

• A tough tackling holding midfielder is needed to protect our back 4.It also allows McGuane/Brannagan to take more risks & allows our full backs to push on. Gorrin can’t be relied on after a serious injury.

• A first choice left back is needed & should be a priority! Seddon is not good enough.

• A striker different to Taylor/Baldock is needed. Kion Etete the name linked on loan would be fit the bill.

• Possible 5th signing would be a winger with Wildschut out for half a season.
Rak-Sakyi on loan is the rumour. If not possibly Goodrham could step up.

D4012972-D39A-47FA-B7C7-977710150B41.jpeg

It’s the left back that is the critical urgency.

There were two places our possession play kept collapsing yesterday. Eastwood and Seddon. They both look so uncomfortable and panicked on the ball.

Dear lord I’m pretty positive about Karl and like him as a manager but if after 13 months he can’t recognize our major problem then he’s not the man for the job. Seddon looked instantly out of his depth yesterday.

McGuane looked a far more accomplished defender !

And in my opinion would have scored many more if played in a two. He would (and has) thrived when another striker plays close to him and creates extra space by pulling defenders around.

Though the question is, how would you change the set up to accommodate playing two up front?

Last year we did it by going 3-5-2.....but we've just pushed the boat out to sign three outstanding out-and-out wingers (albeit one that's gone and knackered himself) so I doubt we're going to want to neuter them by forcing them inside and/or bench them. Plus, we really don't have anyone who's a natural RWB in our current squad.

We could go to some variant of a 4-4-2, but in that case, I don't see that there's any place for Bodin - and he was our most creative outlet yesterday.

I think that KR has built this squad so far with 4-3-3 in mind, and that's how we're going to play. But what we need (pretty urgently) is an alternative to Matty T. Ideally someone who offers something a little different, be it more pace & athleticism or more size & strength

Though the question is, how would you change the set up to accommodate playing two up front?

Last year we did it by going 3-5-2.....but we've just pushed the boat out to sign three outstanding out-and-out wingers (albeit one that's gone and knackered himself) so I doubt we're going to want to neuter them by forcing them inside and/or bench them. Plus, we really don't have anyone who's a natural RWB in our current squad.

We could go to some variant of a 4-4-2, but in that case, I don't see that there's any place for Bodin - and he was our most creative outlet yesterday.

I think that KR has built this squad so far with 4-3-3 in mind, and that's how we're going to play. But what we need (pretty urgently) is an alternative to Matty T. Ideally someone who offers something a little different, be it more pace & athleticism or more size & strength
Yes, just saying what I would do not what I expect KR to do.
I know we have lots of wingers but we do need alternative ways of setting up. I think Seddon could do a job as a LWB but not as a full back . Whereas Long is a full back/CB not a RWB. So if we sign a RWB we have an alternative. Don't forget last season we were playing Sykes, Williams etc as WB's who were signed as wingers/midfielders. We also had wingers in Whyte and Holland who were in and out of the team.
If we sign an out and out RWB it gives us the option of changing from a 4 to a 3 or vice versa.
What I don't want to see is KR being stubborn and one dimensional or further down the line putting square pegs in round holes because of an imbalanced squad as per previous season's.

But we still haven't addressed the wing backs and the 3rd striker so maybe we should start offering chocolate buttons. Our bench yesterday was most probably the weakest in the league (especially in attacking sense)

I believe that is called moving the goalposts....

Two full backs have to be our priority. Then a striker and once they are in the building, then start to find a midfield dynamo.

Why they haven’t been priority since January has been a mystery to me.

Our incumbents are far from bad and offer some really positive attributes. Long in 2020-21 was outstanding and Seddon’s positivity has to be praised. But both need competition and proper versions of it. Not some utility man or converted winger or CB to do it.

But - nah - flashy wingers first and then the belt and braces players come in after the season has started. It’s really frustrating that we aren’t ready for the season starting. We’ve had plenty of time to consider the issues and yet KR seems to have his priorities elsewhere.

Why they haven’t been priority since January has been a mystery to me.

Our incumbents are far from bad and offer some really positive attributes. Long in 2020-21 was outstanding and Seddon’s positivity has to be praised. But both need competition and proper versions of it. Not some utility man or converted winger or CB to do it.

But - nah - flashy wingers first and then the belt and braces players come in after the season has started. It’s really frustrating that we aren’t ready for the season starting. We’ve had plenty of time to consider the issues and yet KR seems to have his priorities elsewhere.
Yes agree as I've alluded to above.

Matt Taylor has scored 56 goals in 3 seasons playing as a lone striker in virtually every game. Yet now we've got posts on here saying that he can't play up alone!!

Matty Taylor can play as a lone man some times. BUT there will be games where he’s figured out and it doesn’t work. That’s when you bring on a replacment… oh wait we’ve decided to start the season without one when we’ve known Baldock has been injured since July 2nd!!

Matt Taylor has scored 56 goals in 3 seasons playing as a lone striker in virtually every game. Yet now we've got posts on here saying that he can't play up alone!!
I’m in that camp I’m afraid. I think he’s surrounded by better players this year so, in theory, it should all work out and he’ll get his normal 15-20 goals. I just think in certain games where we come under pressure and need to go a bit longer, he’s not an outlet for us and as a team we’d win more of those games with a focal point. Next week at Cambridge I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he bags a couple and I’ll be reminded what an asset he is. But on Saturday, his goal scoring record was wholly irrelevant as he never got himself involved (bar one very good chance he made a big mess of) and that’ll happen against better sides who can put us on the back foot. He gave Derby’s CBs a day off yesterday in my opinion but it’s early days and I have no question he will score vital goals for us again. I’d just like to see some variety. There’s enough goals in this team to bring in someone who is less of a goal threat but will bring the best out of others.

Let’s all be honest, we need two new full backs, Long and Seddon/Brown are fine as cover including centre back for 2 of them, but are not good enough to get us promoted.

We need one or I’d say two midfielders for competition, injury cover and to give us options. I say 2 because if Smyth isn’t deemed good enough and Gorrin is going to take a while to get anywhere near his best, we are incredibly light there. Brannagan needs to be allowed to play his natural game too.

We need another forward/striker (a bigger different proposition to our current options) and another winger if Wildschut is out for 6 months. We need strength and pace in those signings as we clearly lack that in many areas. It was obvious yesterday how much we missed pace in our side, something that has been a big asset in the last few seasons.

We need the signings to happen quickly, we’re already a game down and it was so obvious yesterday we had no depth on the bench and starting players who due to age and previous injury histories cannot play 90 mins week in and week out.

If the youngsters on the bench yesterday weren’t deemed good enough to come on, then we may need even more signings as any injuries to the existing “senior“ players and we are in big trouble in terms of having fully effective substitute options and players pushing to make the starting 11.

You could argue what's the point in having youth players on the bench if they're never going to get a look in, unless Karl intentionally bought on Gorrin to park the bus so to speak, but if he did he deserved to fail and its proved he's learned nothing from Bolton and Rotherham away games last season where being negative cost us valuable points.

5 players needed through the door now and no more bloody excuses or square pegs in round holes

OX 14
I’ve been away and can’t arsed to trawl back 20 pages
But who is the non player who has signed on in a new role?

Matty Taylor can play as a lone man some times. BUT there will be games where he’s figured out and it doesn’t work. That’s when you bring on a replacment… oh wait we’ve decided to start the season without one when we’ve known Baldock has been injured since July 2nd!!
Especially when you have two 6ft plus lumps in as CB’s

I actually think playing 4-2-3-1 makes Taylor more isolated the. 4-3-3. If you look at the Derby game as soon as they kicked Browne out of the game second half Taylor was finished he never got a sniff. Our lack of width also doesn’t help him as everything then has to become very intricate, when you combine your two wide players being Henry and Bodin both being good players but lacking any really pace and two fullbacks who struggle to get up and down all game it at times leaves Taylor cutting a very lonely figure up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom