Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember Clare ?

Played at right back by KR when it wasn’t his natural position
Funnily enough when he was pushed forward he did a lot better for us
I think the same about Seddon in a LWB position but he would need a run of games at it
I agree, he would be better as a winger given license driving into the box.

might want to look up where you got your info because it’s wrong. McLeans winner at the kassam came from him playing left wing back. Don’t think you’d see Long finishing a chance like that. He ain’t good enough and that’s the pure and simple truth and because he’s a local lad too many people don’t want to hear it. He’s back up. He shouldn’t be first choice.
Burton or was it wigan?

Let’s be honest, the fans have already lost faith in Seddon. And probably quite fairly. The problem for KR now is that there will be selective assessment of his performance. If he makes a mistake it’ll be extrapolated. When he does something good it’ll be overlooked. And there will also be fans who take justified criticism on an Internet forum, and turning it in to a toxic vibe on game day.

Yeah, probably true.
For what it's worth, he did do some good things on Saturday - there was one gorgeous slide rule pass into Browne in the first half.

But whilst I never want to get on a player for making a mistake.....this is League One, everyone makes mistakes......the problem with Seddon is that he seems to keep making the same mistake; often multiple times a game. He just doesn't seem to have a handle on where to position himself defensively, and so loses his man all the time.

As has oft been said - I think he could potentially make a really good LWB. Would take advantage of his ability going forwards, and his defensive shortcomings wouldn't be so apparent. But having signed three outstanding out-and-out wingers in the past couple of weeks, I can't see that 3-5-2 is the intent this season.

Remember Clare ?

Played at right back by KR when it wasn’t his natural position
Funnily enough when he was pushed forward he did a lot better for us
I think the same about Seddon in a LWB position but he would need a run of games at it

Just regarding Sean Clare, this is the breakdown of all games through several clubs and several managers. What would people say in his natural position?

Screenshot_20220802-184516_Chrome.jpg

Or his goal away at Plymouth?
could well be,i remember it was a terrific goal which from memory he started by our bye line followed by some terrific link up play and he buried it.

there was also a home game where he scored 2, one of which was a volley or half volley into the far corner.

given he's so slow he must have only been there as he was waiting for a lift home.

Mmmmm??
cbfb5ba369b4df9f3e7fdc5c1cdfe71a.jpg

could well be,i remember it was a terrific goal which from memory he started by our bye line followed by some terrific link up play and he buried it.

there was also a home game where he scored 2, one of which was a volley or half volley into the far corner.

given he's so slow he must have only been there as he was waiting for a lift home.
Gillingham was the home game that kept our season alive.

Burton or was it wigan?
Once in a blue moon. 🤣.. if we play seddon and long all season at LB & RB you will all be complaining as we won’t even finish in the top 10 this season. Some people have realised we need to do better. However some people have rose tinted glasses still.

Not at all. He just isn’t good enough for what the club want to achieve to be first choice, Seddon also. So I’m not just picking on Sam Long. Some people need to stop being so sentimental & smell the coffee. We can stay in L1 for 2-3 more seasons as far as I’m concerned. Doesn’t matter to me what league we play in. I watch us because I enjoy it. However if we want to be promoted. You move out the dead wood and you replace it with quality & if what people are saying about our budget is true, then we can do better than seddon and long as first choice wingbacks and they should of been in before the end of the season and we should be playing 3-1-4-2 rather than 4-2-3-1 which isolates Taylor & makes us way too predictable.
I’m on the outside looking in on this conversation and agree/disagree with parts on both sides.

Just want to weigh in and suggest that a reason we’ve maybe concluded our full backs are not good enough is partly (note… not entirely!!) due to the fact we’ve raised the bar this summer on the standard of player we are recruiting? I’m not suggesting there weren’t any issues before. But rewind 12 months and actually Seddon was a pretty big signing for us. Paid a fee for him, lots of glowing references despite not many games to his name and a long term contract. And dare I say, no history of injuries for those that obsess over that BS.

I think if it was more of the same this summer as last, we might not be so hell bent on changing them as it’s testament to the ones we have secured (and kept from last year) that actually there’s a feeling we could get better there.

I’m on the outside looking in on this conversation and agree/disagree with parts on both sides.

Just want to weigh in and suggest that a reason we’ve maybe concluded our full backs are not good enough is partly (note… not entirely!!) due to the fact we’ve raised the bar this summer on the standard of player we are recruiting? I’m not suggesting there weren’t any issues before. But rewind 12 months and actually Seddon was a pretty big signing for us. Paid a fee for him, lots of glowing references despite not many games to his name and a long term contract. And dare I say, no history of injuries for those that obsess over that BS.

I think if it was more of the same this summer as last, we might not be so hell bent on changing them as it’s testament to the ones we have secured (and kept from last year) that actually there’s a feeling we could get better there.
This makes no sense.
KR dropped him before midway through last season.
Are you really saying that he got dropped (equivalent to him believing he's not good enough) as KR knew that the coming season's transfers would make him look bad and not due to performances on the pitch ?

Last edited:

Seddon is always going to be vilified. I thought after getting an early yellow card he actually did pretty well on Saturday. When he got that yellow I was worried he was a walking red card waiting to happen. He’s not a starting LB if you want to get promotion. Neither is Long at RB, back up and someone you can bring on for fresh legs if needed (especially with the 5 subs rule now) yes.

That’s my opinion. We need better. Neither would be good enough for the championship and that is what we are aiming for. Why I didn’t understand the Henry contract extension as he wouldn’t have a hope of playing in the championship.

I think there's two separate issues at play here.

Firstly, there's KR's recurring habit of building imbalanced squads. We've never had more than six defenders in one of his squads, and last year we only really had five and it cost us. So purely from the perspective of having enough bodies in the room to provide balanced cover, we ought to be signing two more defenders ( I think LB/RB - others see Brown as a competent LB and want CB/RB).

Then there's a separate issue of 'Was Seddon a bad signing that we need to correct?'. And personally I think that whilst KR has a very good record when it comes to the quality of his permanent signings - Seddon (like Sean Clare before him) was one of the bad ones in terms of his capabilities as a defender. And as such, he should be backup from this point forwards, at best. I don't think it's simply a matter of raising the bar at other positions - I think it's just a case of Seddon not being the quality of defender that KR (and many of us on here) thought he would be.

Has Robinson made one good (not loan) signing at full back in his time here? It’s pretty much just Cadden but he was on loan. Seems to be a position he doesn’t really hold in high regard, think I can remember a comment from him once along the lines of “anyone can play there” as well.

This makes no sense.
KR dropped him before midway through last season.
Are you really saying that he got dropped (equivalent to him believing he's not good enough) as KR knew that the coming season's transfers would make him look bad and not due to performances on the pitch ?
Urm. No. That’s not what I’m suggesting. I’m saying that possibly what was good for us last year is not necessarily the same now because of a pretty significant shift in budget but also recruitment strategy.

I’d also say that players don’t just get dropped because they’re suddenly not good enough. Can be all sorts of reasons why they come out of the team and it doesn’t mean it’s the end of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom