Home Match Day Thread 23/09/2023 L1: OUFC v Exeter City

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Such fun watching the extended highlights with the well-informed ifollow commentator.

On the first penalty: "Oh and down goes the ... (consults notes) .... Oxford player."

:rolleyes:

Crikey, now there’s a glass half full view of ever I’ve seen it. For me and many others Eastwood, particularly in the first half of the season, was at the forefront of why we were down there doggy paddling for our lives. If Beadle were at the club last season I’d fancy our season to be 5-10 points better off and spared the end of season panic. We’ll never know.

I only mentioned the Cambridge game since you completely discounted it to make your argument. First game or not, it’s still relevant because to this day, Cambridge are the best side defensively we have played. They completely nullified our wingers and destroyed our full backs - let’s not say we weren’t at it because the reality is they did a job on us. Carlisle attempted a similar thing and nearly got a point, they should have gone in front and got a lot of joy down Sam Long’s side which they clearly targeted. Since then we have changed things around a bit with different personnel (Edwards, McGuane, Mills etc) and improved radically, that’s very much to our credit but I haven’t seen a massive improvement in Long or Brown, just a better balance across the team and some real gems pulling us forward.

Going in to specifics of their on the ball issues is a rabbit hole we’ve been down before. It really is a pointless discussion - all I’m saying is they could offer a lot more than they do but I get it, they’re loyal boys, work really hard so leave them alone etc etc etc.

I’ll give them (and myself) a break from this as it’s becoming exhausting to have an opinion that goes against the grain.
Play that Cambridge game with McGuane starting the result could have been very different. In essence he is the primary reason this season has started so well. Lots of other good things but his dominating midfield is the start point of everything good.
Looks like Cambridge had a very good day, and we certainly didn't. They nullified us because we posed no serious attacking questions that day and we made too many mistakes and got caught.

Watching the extended highlights, the two penalties were soft but likely both fouls. There seemed to be two clearer penalty shouts which were not given though, the first when Bodin had a shot and was clattered by a defender diving in, and the second when CB shot and the defender tackled his ankle, hurting CB in the process. I don't know why these fouls are often not given - if they were anywhere else on the pitch they would be, and would likely result in yellow or even red cards for being dangerous.

Mancity don’t even play attacking fullbacks they play their centre back left back this bullshit about having a attacking fullbacks in nonsense if ur wingers are attacking like edwards has been doing you don’t need brown to get in his way and run into the space where he’s gonna run

To be fair if I had spent the best part of £80m on a centre back then I would expect him to be able to do a decent job at full back... especially if the winger in front of him had just been signed for over £50m.

Back
Top Bottom