Home Match Day Thread 29/12/23: L1 - OUFC v Derby County

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We treated them as though they were a Premier League side or something. Thinking we had to defend it out rather than go for more goals. Players who played well in the first half (Brannagan, Moore, Stevens) suddenly looking like shadows of their former selves.

We treated them as if they were a well-organised, fit team a bit better than us.

WTF was Buckingham supposed to do after Goodrham was broken? There's no outlet.

Hope the board backs Des and our players in January.

I suspect that Liam Manning was well aware that he had only completed half a rebuild in the summer, and so was happy to jump when given the opportunity. We are still that half a rebuild away from fixing KR's legacy and it showed tonight.
I'm happy to let Des see what he can do in the January window; after all I haven't heard any complaints about his recruitment of Bennett.

Send Stevens back to Brentford please can’t defend or attack
His 1st half display showed there is a player in there but being young, he started to panic in the 2nd half.
Again, another game that Long would have made a difference.

Mills and Stevens are young players who aren’t used to this amount of football but due to injuries we can’t give them a rest.

Another game ticked off until January.

Great start, they came back at 2-0 as you’d expect them to and scored at the perfect time. Second half was awful watching them bring on top class players for L1, while we had nothing in the tank and nothing in reserve. The squads knackered and it’s no surprise we’re picking up an injury a game now.

We are literally down to the bare bones of a squad due to injuries and not much to bring on to influence a game, 1 man to blame for that and he is currently snaking around Bristol.

How is it Liam Mannings fault we have so many injuries?

Every clubs has injuries, it’s a poor excuse to deflect the blame from the current manager.

He got it horrendously wrong tactically tonight, or is that Liam Mannings fault too.

Liam Manning did an impressive job in the summer, in terms of recruitment. Just a shame we messed around a bit with Marriott and Burey.

We treated them as if they were a well-organised, fit team a bit better than us.

WTF was Buckingham supposed to do after Goodrham was broken? There's no outlet.

Hope the board backs Des and our players in January.
We didn't even try to keep possession, just whacked the ball clear at every opportunity. There was still Mills as an outlet, and then he was taken off, which to me said we'd given up.

I suspect that Liam Manning was well aware that he had only completed half a rebuild in the summer, and so was happy to jump when given the opportunity. We are still that half a rebuild away from fixing KR's legacy and it showed tonight.
I'm happy to let Des see what he can do in the January window; after all I haven't heard any complaints about his recruitment of Bennett.
Exactly this, we are half way through a rebuild with a depleted squad. We are 6th with a thread bare squad with no goal scorer and have 43 points, we aren’t in a bad place but we need a big January transfer window and I’d also say that we might want to play a weakened team against Coventry if we can, if we are serious about going up.

How is it Liam Mannings fault we have so many injuries?

Every clubs has injuries, it’s a poor excuse to deflect the blame from the current manager.

He got it horrendously wrong tactically tonight, or is that Liam Mannings fault too.

Liam Manning did an impressive job in the summer, in terms of recruitment. Just a shame we messed around a bit with Marriott and Burey.
I blame Manning for the lack of strikers. Injuries happen which isn’t Mannings or Des’s fault but Manning built this squad, not Des.

No doubt, no doubt. But the outlet was there at least. Bringing a third CB on is counterintuitive against the pressure they were exerting.
Harris was completely out of gas and Mills look knackered too. I think it was a case of knowing we need both of them again in three days unfortunately. Just no options to bring on.

We were, but it enhanced the message that we needed to defend at all costs. Suddenly Brown back at left back, and Bennett on the wing? Hardly fills the opposition with terror.
No but as I said elsewhere, Harris was obviously clearly completely out of gas and Mills looked leggy too. We had limited options unfortunately.

I blame Manning for the lack of strikers. Injuries happen which isn’t Mannings or Des’s fault but Manning built this squad, not Des.
He didn’t though did he. KR built the bulk of it and him and Waldron had one window to fix it, which he did a good job of.

Question is whether Des can build on the good work done so far and get us back on track, but look at that Derby bench and compare it to ours. That’s not a one window fix.

• React
Reactions: QR
Manning didn't choose to park the bus at 2-0 up. I know he's a snake and I know we're down to the bare bones but a decent coach to support Des could've managed that lead much better.
Actually under Manning he played quite deep counter attacking football at times when you look at the stats. Tye difference was he had players he could bring on to counter attack. They are pretty much all injured now.

Tonight showed that Sam long is coming back straight into that rb position

What would you have done differently Kip ?
I think, and this is quite radical, I'd have left somebody up front, or perhaps had Perkins on the bench. He simply cannot be worse than having to play James Henry up front.

It's more the coaching that concerns me, defensively we have absolutely gone to s**t.

Back
Top Bottom