Home Match Day Thread 29/12/23: L1 - OUFC v Derby County

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Game thrown away from playing quite comfortably, to looking like we are on the ropes, knocking it anwhere. No shape
The main difference between the two sides is that we dont have the quality to bring off the bench.
Reletless pressure and we cave in.
Non plan b, tackling each other.

We have hardly any fit players and the ones we have had fit have had to play too much football in a short space of time due to having hardly any fit players.
We should still have enough to manage a 2-0 lead. Taking off all of our striking options to "shore things up" hasn't worked. we left James Henry up front on his own FFS - leaving no options other than to defend.

I know Tyler has stretched his hamstring but brrining on Gatlain when we've conceded the third is desperate.

Extremely leggy tonight - squad depth a real issue. January couldn’t come soon enough, thought des’s changes were actually quite smart and nearly worked until they brought on a few subs…. Two benches really paint the story.

Awful 2nd half, no possession at all, subs did nothing, some poor football at times,so frustrating after the positive start

Watching via the forum tonight as busy with family time. Logged on at half time to see how we were doing and thought we were being battered with some of the comments, not 2-1 up.

As the game went on, it genuinely felt like some of you were relishing us going behind so you could say I told you so or stick the boot in some more.

This place can be really depressing when things aren't going 100% well.

Our second half play was atrocious. We needed to get the ball and attack them. I think our first proper venture forward was the 72nd minute. Hoofing the ball back to them at every opportunity. The Thorniley sub was a mistake too.

Mind boggling tactics. Sit back ever since we went 2-0 up, and the subs have been horrendous.

Not sure this manager will last long!
If Des wasn't local, you'd think we had appointed David Kemp with some of the performances we are watching.

It needed a steady hand, a bit of league 1 know how, a bit of gamesmanship.

We should still have enough to manage a 2-0 lead. Taking off all of our striking options to "shore things up" hasn't worked. we left James Henry up front on his own FFS - leaving no options other than to defend.

I know Tyler has stretched his hamstring but brrining on Gatlain when we've conceded the third is desperate.
Harris is and was running on empty. Mills is our only fit winger.

Get real. We are down to the bare bones.

We were cruising at 2-0, and then decided to defend the rest of the game, and bring on Henry whose legs have gone. We’ve consistently given the ball away everytime we got it, and invited Derby on to us for the majority of the game. Those tactical changes ain’t nothing to do with being down the the bare bones. It’s down to the manager.

Bizarre just Bizarre from the manager, because whatever his game plan was hasn’t worked.

Embarrassing!

I know the feeling it's horrible 😱

I didn’t in the end. And glad I didn’t.

Well done, Derby. There’s no way you can invite pressure for that length of time and expect to get away with it, especially a Paul Warne side.

The team is getting knackered and I understand why. We have such a limited bench the same XI are having to do so much of the heavy lifting at present.

We were cruising at 2-0, and then decided to defend the rest of the game, and bring on Henry whose legs have gone. We’ve consistently given the ball away everytime we got it, and invited Derby on to us for the majority of the game. Those tactical changes ain’t nothing to do with being down the the bare bones. It’s down to the manager.

Bizarre just Bizarre from the manager, because whatever his game plan was hasn’t worked.

Embarrassing!
Henry came on because Goodrham did his hamstring, it wasn't a tactical change.

Gutted for the team tonight, we got deeper and deeper and let them come on to us which was our down fall but what it did show was that we are literally down to the bare bones of this squad right now.

A full strength squad then we go on and win that game but we just didn’t have the players to bring on.

A big January ahead but do I think we will make the play offs still? Absolutely*!

*I am a bottle of Malbec in so my judgement might be slightly blurred!

We treated them as though they were a Premier League side or something. Thinking we had to defend it out rather than go for more goals. Players who played well in the first half (Brannagan, Moore, Stevens) suddenly looking like shadows of their former selves.

If Des wasn't local, you'd think we had appointed David Kemp with some of the performances we are watching.

It needed a steady hand, a bit of league 1 know how, a bit of gamesmanship.
We are literally down to the bare bones of a squad due to injuries and not much to bring on to influence a game, 1 man to blame for that and he is currently snaking around Bristol.

Back
Top Bottom