Club identity/wearing away and 3rd kit unnecessarily

Well said James!

A worthy cause and a fair reason why we wouldn't wear yellow against Pompey.

A gesture sadly diluted by overwearing the away and third kits so far this season however.

Last edited:
now a gesture such as this... showing support for the work that Shelter do for the homeless in the UK.... ( as well as 'embarrassing' PL authorities for NOT permitting a similar gesture on boxing day) Im all for

however, in general, when there's no clash of kits, I do prefer OUFC to wear our traditional colours , out kit!
so, how many seasons have we worn yellow and blue as opposed to the awesome wang kit or the original HUFC colours? Genuinely don't know the answer

Last edited:
so, how many seasons have worn yellow and blue as opposed to the awesome wang kit or the original HUFC colours? genuinely don't knnw the answer
Orange and Navy blue (HUFC) - albeit before 'my' time ...... , (old)Gold and Black (HUFC - I think?/ OUFC) ,Yellow & Black, and Blue - both Navy and Royal at different times over the years ( OUFC )...... neither do I

Last edited:
so, how many seasons have we worn yellow and blue as opposed to the awesome wang kit or the original HUFC colours? Genuinely don't know the answer
Orange and Navy blue (HUFC) - albeit before 'my' time ...... , (old)Gold and Black (HUFC - I think?/ OUFC) ,Yellow & Black, and Blue - both Navy and Royal at different times over the years ( OUFC )...... neither do I
Roughly as follows ...

Orange: 60 years
Gold: 20 years
Yellow: 50 years (last 36 years with Navy blue)

From Oxfordkits.com

Orange & Navy (stripes in early years)
1893-1950ish : around 60 years (HUFC )

Gold & Black (HUFC & OUFC)
1950s-71 : about 20 years

Yellow & black (& all yellow)
1971-75: 4 years

Yellow & Royal blue
1975-85 : 10 years

Yellow & Navy blue
1985-2021 : 36 years

To play devil’s advocate, I’m really not bothered as a fan and if it leads to extra revenue from shirt sales from those who choose to buy, then that’s all good with me.
Yes, I'm not overly bothered, however, I would prefer that we try to wear yellow and blue in some of the bigger; televised games. I have a feeling that when we get maxmimum points from the festive period, the likes of Sky will actually realise what a decent side we are, instead of just focussing on Wigan, Sunderland and Pompey.

Yes, I'm not overly bothered, however, I would prefer that we try to wear yellow and blue in some of the bigger; televised games. I have a feeling that when we get maxmimum points from the festive period, the likes of Sky will actually realise what a decent side we are, instead of just focussing on Wigan, Sunderland and Pompey.

Hopefully we get the maximum points you talk of but Sky can carry on focusing on Wigan, Sunderland and Pompey as far as I'm concerned. It was interesting on the Quest highlights this last weekend that Colin Murray questioned whether they had been taking Oxford for granted as we haven't been much of a focus, even though we are on a good run being in/around the play offs regularly this season and over the last couple of seasons.

Hopefully we get the maximum points you talk of but Sky can carry on focusing on Wigan, Sunderland and Pompey as far as I'm concerned. It was interesting on the Quest highlights this last weekend that Colin Murray questioned whether they had been taking Oxford for granted as we haven't been much of a focus, even though we are on a good run being in/around the play offs regularly this season and over the last couple of seasons.
Yes, I do agree. We always seem to go under the radar. I'm very happy for that to happen. I just get bored of having to watch frigging Sunderland, Wigan and Pompey whenever there is an international break. I'd much rather watch Forest Green smash Swindon for example :D.

To explain
Home : wear yellow and blue.
Away : wear a different kit.

Away kits were only introduced for away teams to change in to if there was a colour clash with the home side, with Oxford United wearing yellow we very rarely had to use an away kit.
The wearing of the black and white kits are played in so often is for no other reason than to sell more shirts to our supporters...
No one would buy an away shirt or the 3rd kit if the team never played in them.
However I for one would love to see us playing more away games in our yellow kit...

Away kits were only introduced for away teams to change in to if there was a colour clash with the home side, with Oxford United wearing yellow we very rarely had to use an away kit.
The wearing of the black and white kits are played in so often is for no other reason than to sell more shirts to our supporters...
No one would buy an away shirt or the 3rd kit if the team never played in them.
However I for one would love to see us playing more away games in our yellow kit...
Pretty sure they would still buy the 'alternative' (it's not an away shirt) even if we only wore it when it was needed. Just like they have in previous seasons when the alternative kit has been used far less often than it has this season.

Who at the club actually decides what kit we wear at away matches? Kit man, KR, Chairman... sponsor contract?

Maybe one for the Supporter Panel to raise?

Pretty sure that it's Robinson's decision on what kit is worn away. I suspect that the decision is based on the colour the home team play in, the surroundings and whether our kit clashes with advertising boards etc, and personal choice or superstition. We've picked up some good results in white and blue so imagine that is as much a reason for continual usage as anything else.

N
Pretty sure that it's Robinson's decision on what kit is worn away. I suspect that the decision is based on the colour the home team play in, the surroundings and whether our kit clashes with advertising boards etc, and personal choice or superstition. We've picked up some good results in white and blue so imagine that is as much a reason for continual usage as anything else.
Maybe someone can clarify whether it matters if shorts clash? By wearing white we had the same shorts as Charlton, whereas if we’d worn our home kit we’d have been totally different.

I don’t feel strongly but would like to see yellow in more away games, especially in place of that black.

Robinson likes White kits. Couldn’t care less what colour we are playing in if the manager thinks it can give us an edge to play in white then so be it.

Pretty sure that it's Robinson's decision on what kit is worn away.

Karl and Mous on a Friday afternoon, trying on the kits and deciding the fashion choices for the following day:

21050e4180051f450af65bfa5051885b.gif

N

Maybe someone can clarify whether it matters if shorts clash? By wearing white we had the same shorts as Charlton, whereas if we’d worn our home kit we’d have been totally different.

I don’t feel strongly but would like to see yellow in more away games, especially in place of that black.
Jerseys, shorts and socks should not clash between teams and officials including goalkeepers. There have been some strange decisions to allow goalkeepers to wear identical kits pretty much this season for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom