Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned both Andrew Croft and Simon Rusk jointly before Manning was appointed.
So should add Rusk to Mason and Crofts

He has been on a couple of podcasts recently, so is probably in people's minds. (Quite impressed with how he came across to be fair)
Use of socials and media to stay relevant - who does that remind you of....

Charlton fans' comments I've seen is basically he can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy and was unaware of his personal issues but he put me off when he rocked up at our place in a skinny white tea shirt, peddlepushers and espadrilles earlier in the season.

But then I’m probably just jealous that I’m too old and fat to carry the look off…

His team didn't as well?

I'd like someone with a bit of independence, their own ideas not built by being part a Pep Guardiola-infused cult - perhaps even with some experience of playing football at a decent level.

Most of all a bit of humility.

Honestly nowadays, I think this is becoming less and less relevant. Modern management is a complex task - requires a thorough understanding of tactics, statistical analysis, training methodologies, sports science etc. etc. For the most part, it's the footballers that realize they're not going to make it big and start honing their managerial skills at a younger age that seem to make the best managers. Most top players are getting to it too late, and trying to rely on their name and reputation, rather than any particular management ability.

Mourinho, Wenger, Klopp, Frank, De Zerbi, Potter, Emery, Postecoglou, Howe, McKenna, Appleton etc. etc. (and, yes, the snake himself) - all either had journeyman careers that ended early, or barely played football at all.

Pep seems to be more of a rarity in this era in that he was a genuinely top class player before becoming a top manager.

Please NO-I mean he left Derby as soon as a Prem club rustled its skirts.
To be fair, the Premier League club was one he played for, is considered a legend at, and wanted to manage more than anything in the world. And they had Champions League football.

Brannagan is lauded for his loyalty, but I suspect even he might leave if Liverpool offered him the captaincy.

One of the old Rotherham managers would be my choice. They go up from league one pretty much every other year.

Mark Robins would be an interesting one if we wanted to make a bold (but expensive) move. Coventry are on the slide as they struggle to recover after last season’s playoff final loss, and loss of key personnel in the summer. A move could be beneficial to all parties and Robins knows the EFL well having been promoted from League 2 to the Championship and winning the EFL trophy on top.

I just feel like it’s deja vu with the usual suspects and it wouldn’t surprise me if a few candidates have been interviewed this year already for the last time the role was available. I know for a fact that Lampard has already sat two interviews so if he applies again it’ll be 3 times which is crazy.

We don’t just have to resort to immediately available managers and it’s good to see us looking at Buckingham but even that could be a risky appointment. We could make a statement by approaching other clubs and I much rather we be ambitious than re-interviewing past rejects.

Everyone on this thread when Manning was the manager - we need to sign a couple of centre forwards, a midfielder and a new right back in January.

Everyone on this thread when talking about the new manager - he will have to play exactly the same style as the old manager and fit in with the players we have got.

One of the old Rotherham managers would be my choice. They go up from league one pretty much every other year.
13/14 via Play-Offs: Steve Evans
17/18 via Play-Offs: Paul Warne
19/20 in 2nd: Paul Warne
21/22 in 2nd: Paul Warne

I’m surprised John Terry hasn’t had a mention. He’s been coaching at a high standard for 5 years now, I think he could make a decent manager one day.

Google 'Garry Monk agent' and you'll see why he won't be coming here. Case looks like it's ongoing.
Interesting thanks, hadn't seen anything about why he seemingly dropped off the face of the earth.
"Boro have concerns over the £2.5m fee paid to Oxford for Marvin Johnson" says one article too.

I’m surprised John Terry hasn’t had a mention. He’s been coaching at a high standard for 5 years now, I think he could make a decent manager one day.

Leicester assistant manager, would be a reverse of the move Mapp made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom