Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd find it interesting how so may have dismissed an inexperienced manager yet would have taken Mousinho when we were in danger of being relegated last season, surely it's easier to maintain a promotion challenge than fight relegation. So for me a fresh young inexperienced manager with a seasoned advisory on board could work.

Would like to think the club would consult with Moore and brannagan during the process

Would love to know who the players would prefer! Anyone Itk?

No point forging an opinion on anybody, even if your 1st choice rocks up he may well flop, conversely an appointment on paper you hate could turn out to be a success. None of us know until the games begin.

Challinor is an interesting one. Lots of success (albeit at a lower level) could potentially be worth a punt. Clearly ambitious.

Definitely. Also, he hangs around to sticking with some fairly unfashionable jobs for a time. He was apparently in the frame for the Charlton job.

An interesting one certainly.

Before Manning wasn’t Craig Bellamy and Mark Warburton names high on the bookies list

Would like to think the club would consult with Moore and brannagan during the process

May as well consult with a fan. Players are good at what they do, much like anyone else in a job, but their knowledge will be no greater than your average fan. The only times they’d be worth listening to would be if there was an internal appointment in the offing or if any of them had maybe previously played under a manager who was under consideration.

Of all the names that have been banded about on here the 1 that really excites me is Ryan Mason. He just ticks all the right boxes. Cant see it being him though, firstly it would probably cost to much and secondly he probably wouldn't want to come here.
The Irish fella sounds interesting also, Steven Bradley.
Before we appointed Liam ( the SNAKE ) Manning, i wanted Leam Richardson, and hes still available. Interesting times ahead.
Just get 3 points Saturday and make use of the international break to get the right guy in ready for Cheltnum.

Of all the names that have been banded about on here the 1 that really excites me is Ryan Mason. He just ticks all the right boxes. Cant see it being him though, firstly it would probably cost to much and secondly he probably wouldn't want to come here.
The Irish fella sounds interesting also, Steven Bradley.
Before we appointed Liam ( the SNAKE ) Manning, i wanted Leam Richardson, and hes still available. Interesting times ahead.
Just get 3 points Saturday and make use of the international break to get the right guy in ready for Cheltnum.

I too like the idea of Mason. My only reservation with someone like him is that he’s reasonably high profile and would soon attract attention. You could imagine a club like Norwich sniffing around after a good 6 months here. How wrong we were but I suspect Manning was appointed for the long term and I’m sure we will look for a manager with a longer term plan in mind - not sure Mason ticks that box.

I think there’s far more chance of a Williams, Buckingham type manager coming in and sticking around. I’d probably be looking at a manager who would see Oxford United as a step up as opposed to a step down. That said, someone such as Eustace would fall somewhere in the middle as he’s been sacked from higher up - as well as cutting his teeth in the NL - rather than choosing to drop a division or two.

Here's a name I haven't seen on here
Damien Johnson
A left-field candidate? Perhaps. But Damien Johnson has built up his experience working his way through Blackburn’s youth scene, being part of one of the best academies outside the elite, which speaks volumes for the quality of coaching.

Over the last four years, Johnson has been working with the first team as well as being Head of Player Development, and helped Rovers to three top half finishes in four seasons on a limited budget, with minimal infrastructure.

If the Northern Irishman wants to become a number one, he’s arguably earnt the right to be considered for what he’s been part of over the last eight years

I can't see Eustace coming down to League One. A manager who was doing well in the Championship before being unluckily sacked, is not going to see League One as his next job.

I can't see Eustace coming down to League One. A manager who was doing well in the Championship before being unluckily sacked, is not going to see League One as his next job.
I'm not so sure as he isn't an established Championship Manager , we could be a Champ club next season.
If he doesn't get a Champ job in the next 6 mths then where will he turn ?

Yes he can hang around waiting for a Championship club, but who’s to say he will get a job? Come to Oxford who are 2nd, take them into the Championship and he’ll be looked at as a star choice for any team. We of course would need a contract tighter than a camels a**e in a sandstorm.

Leicester assistant manager, would be a reverse of the move Mapp made.
Terry now back at Chelsea as a coach,

Spent 3 years with Smith at Villa, then another short period with him at Leicester.

Worked in the youth set up at Chelsea, and hasn’t rushed into management.

Also been in contact with Championship clubs recently and missed out. Openly said he’s now up for looking in league one.

I would assume he will make contact with the club regarding this role.

Also on the Dub was said we were looking at Lee Grant before? Now at Ipswich? So wonder if we will reignite that interest

The thing is, he is an unemployed manager, not a Championship manager - What is to say he will be even considered for the next Championship job that comes up? He didn't get the Bristol City one after all... You are as good as your offers when out of work.

Had a listen to the Dub on the way in work this morning, and it was very much in line with my thinking.

Manning effectively came into a smoldering pile of rubble so a complete re-build was required, but that's no longer the case. We need someone of a similar 'profile' to Manning who will run things in a similar way, at least for the rest of this season.

I think that kind of appointment stands the best chance of not rocking the boat at a crucial time, and would go a long way to reassuring the players that the club's long-term plan and philosophy remains in place despite Manning's departure.

Completely disagree that senior players shouldn't be consulted - they absolutely should be. Not necessarily on specific names, but they're the ones who have to put a manager's vision into action, and so their input is important. The last thing we want is an appointment that the players are underwhelmed buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom