Manager/Coach Life After Manning - New Manager Search

Who do you want as the next OUFC manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fowler, Lampard, Cotterill, Bowyer or Ainsworth would probably be my least wanted.

Outside of that fairly open minded. Glad Short has ruled himself out, but hope whoever comes in keeps him around given reports suggest he's done a decent job both times under contrasting managers.

Fowler, Lampard, Cotterill, Bowyer or Ainsworth would probably be my least wanted.

Outside of that fairly open minded. Glad Short has ruled himself out, but hope whoever comes in keeps him around given reports suggest he's done a decent job both times under contrasting managers.
Yep. I agree. I'd like us to avoid a "big name" ex player or a journey-man manager. Young, progressive and ambitious with emotional intelligence and understanding of the modern game is what I want. I don't want much. Maybe they can solve world peace after the mid-week games.

Why isn't Barton on your list?

Funnily enough agree completely on this list apart from Lampard who has alot to prove...
Would want Des B or Eustace though I'm sure some leftfield choices out there

Always worth remembering that managers odds mean next to nothing until something really obvious happens (like Manning with Bristol) where they have to suspend betting. Odds are always based on how bookies think the money will come in (and trying to entice people to bet), all the more so in a very inactive market like manager betting. Bookies are literally no authority on manager odds until the next manager is more or less obvious to everyone anyway.

This is why Lampard keeps appearing on odds lists. There is no chance at all, but the name recognition and low odds is going to make the odd punter think it is worth a flutter, and that the bookies might know something. Frank Lampard is going to be free money for the bookies as long as he is out of work. My guess is that Buckingham is being used similarly (name recognition because of Oxford connection), though obviously more likely than Frank.

QPR are a good example - their latest boss was not anywhere notable on the list with the bookies, who had no insight at all, and just threw the usual suspects out there for people to bet on. QPR probably had the chap lined up for a while, even as money was coming in on Eustace, Beale, Warnock etc.

That's not to say the next Oxford manager is not on the betting list somewhere - just that the odds mean nothing as far as likelihood until it is very late in the game, as far as names being confirmed as interviewed, etc.

I heard about a manager who was likely to get a job years ago and tried sticking a tenner on at 25's
Now Sky Sports News report who's supposedly in the frame to get a job, and with this information, people hop on to the conveniently advertised Sky Bet service.

Really makes you think...

Stephen Bradley looks an interesting one. I think he’s done all he can with Shamrock Rovers and would possibly be looking for the next step. Although after getting used to European football we could be seen as a step back..

Nice Irish accent though, a lot more interesting than Manning and a lot less grating than the one before him. Having said that if he used the term ‘honest bunch’a lads’ I’d be done with him.

Stephen Bradley looks an interesting one. I think he’s done all he can with Shamrock Rovers and would possibly be looking for the next step. Although after getting used to European football we could be seen as a step back..

Nice Irish accent though, a lot more interesting than Manning and a lot less grating than the one before him. Having said that if he used the term ‘honest bunch’a lads’ I’d be done with him.
Not interesting at all. You would hope we have set our standard at least as high as Eustace.

Slight trepidation with Buckingham in that he is of a similar background to Manning.
For me, these 'City Group' groomed types will now be synonymous with Linkedin-loving middle-management bell-ends.

Might be unfair, they may not all be arrogant self-serving narcissists, but I do wonder if being part of some weird sounding global football cult teaches them to squash the little man and that they are better than everyone else.
A bit like how 'leading' public schools teach thick and unpleasant young men that they can and will run the country and/or the economy.

I'd like someone with a bit of independence, their own ideas not built by being part a Pep Guardiola-infused cult - perhaps even with some experience of playing football at a decent level.

Most of all a bit of humility.

Maybe he could come here for a month or so until it opens up. We won’t mind.
I don't see how anyone could reasonably be upset with someone wanting to better themselves when an opportunity turns up. Give him a weekly rolling contract I say. It would also give us an out, I don't see how it could backfire.

Not interesting at all. You would hope we have set our standard at least as high as Eustace.
To be honest I don’t know much about any of them but 4 titles on the spin - admittedly at a lot lower level - must mean he knows something. I would guess the standard of players he’s working with aren’t that much better than the rest. I wouldn’t have thought it’s like comparing with Celtic and Rangers who play in a completely different level to their competitors in Scotland.

I also don’t know much about Eustace’s achievements so I’m very open minded

To be honest I don’t know much about any of them but 4 titles on the spin - admittedly at a lot lower level - must mean he knows something. I would guess the standard of players he’s working with aren’t that much better than the rest. I wouldn’t have thought it’s like comparing with Celtic and Rangers who play in a completely different level to their competitors in Scotland.

I also don’t know much about Eustace’s achievements so I’m very open minded
According to the World Wide Web, Shamrock hadn’t won a league title for nine years and had won just two since 1994 before the start of the current run in 2020, so in that regard it’s very much Bradley’s success. It seems they’ve also managed to grow their average attendance from 1,869 the season before he turned up to 6,115 this season just gone.

According to the World Wide Web, Shamrock hadn’t won a league title for nine years and had won just two since 1994 before the start of the current run in 2020, so in that regard it’s very much Bradley’s success. It seems they’ve also managed to grow their average attendance from 1,869 the season before he turned up to 6,115 this season just gone.
In this interview he talks about how difficult it will be to maintain the success they’ve had as it will be expensive to improve the squad from “outside’ markets and the cost of living in Dublin (sound familiar?)

Reading between the lines it could be read as ‘taken them as far as he can’?

Not saying we would be interested but it’s the only time I take any real interest in other teams and managers.. 😁

Slight trepidation with Buckingham in that he is of a similar background to Manning.
For me, these 'City Group' groomed types will now be synonymous with Linkedin-loving middle-management bell-ends.

Might be unfair, they may not all be arrogant self-serving narcissists, but I do wonder if being part of some weird sounding global football cult teaches them to squash the little man and that they are better than everyone else.
A bit like how 'leading' public schools teach thick and unpleasant young men that they can and will run the country and/or the economy.

I'd like someone with a bit of independence, their own ideas not built by being part a Pep Guardiola-infused cult - perhaps even with some experience of playing football at a decent level.

Most of all a bit of humility.
Also I hate the way the word ‘leader’ is now used to mean ‘self-centred management psycho’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom