General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the nimbys on the West Kidlington nextdoor group are getting ruffled.

Yeah I mean I thought it was going to be a debate, but a decision had clearly already been made.

That's how councils work and also ties in with "public consultations".
The decisions are already made and councils only publicise the consultation results that agree with them.

If only we had a fan who has had a career in PR, even better if they’d had experience in football? Does such a fan exist?
No, no, no. Never again.

Even if they reject can't we appeal and it be decided by the planning inspectorate? Can't see how just because a few old farts don't want it and voice their opinion it gets declined? Or is that the reason why it's being deferred?

Do think the club knew about the deferral before the meeting as that statement wasn't wrote in 20 minutes to me and thats probably why the pro councilors didn't bother speaking as it was a waste of a breath.

Even if they reject can't we appeal and it be decided by the planning inspectorate? Can't see how just because a few old farts don't want it and voice their opinion it gets declined? Or is that the reason why it's being deferred?

Do think the club knew about the deferral before the meeting as that statement wasn't wrote in 20 minutes to me and thats probably why the pro councilors didn't bother speaking as it was a waste of a breath.
There might be truth in your last bit. My experience of tricky negotiations is that the wise people keep their powder dry. They let everyone discuss all of the points against them at length until the emotional pitch and energy of the conversation starts to drop and then they slowly start to turn the screw with their strong points.
I’m hoping that this is step was the smoke bomb: flush everyone out who is going to be up in arms and shouting their objections, then collect their points and address them solidly one by one.
From the online discussion I’ve seen, the biggest criticism is of occ trying to “get this through the back door” or some similar conspiracy tosh, mainly with aggressive and angry calls for more information and consultation.
That information is easy to provide, and unless there are (politically) fatal flaws in what is proposed, the consultation can proceed - as would have to happen anyway (no idea how these folks think things work). Many of the criticisms (eg Mr Hill’s false tirade) will be simply put to rest.

Does anyone know who this Mr Hill is? and what his role in all this is? curious thats all.
Yes - as has already been pointed out earlier on this thread :), he is an Associate Member of the Cherwell Development Watch Alliance who basically lobby against any new developments in that geographical area.

Does anyone know who this Mr Hill is? and what his role in all this is? curious thats all.

It’s mentioned back in this thread somewhere. As far as we can tell he’s an Associate Member of some fringe local pressure group. I would guess he lives in Kidlington hence his interest in this story.

Why he got to speak at this is anyone’s guess. Not being au fait with OCC cabinet meetings I presume any old Joe Public can get involved if they put their name down. Whilst I don’t think it’ll impact things in the long run, it was irritating to see him say things that were simply wrong to OCC when if he’d read the proposal (which was attached to the agenda) or even just the reports in the OM, he would have had a better idea of what was planned.

Regardless of that, we’re getting in a tizz about one person’s comments. There’s going to be more opposition at some point that’ll be trickier to manage than the comments of Mr Hill.

We’ll have to wait for the minutes to be typed up. The agenda is there but the decisions and minutes are still to be done.

Keep an eye on the link above for those.

from-above-shot-of-hands-of-anonymous-elderly-person-typing-on-keyboard-of-vintage-typewriter-...jpg

Nail on head. You don't spend years, and considerable expense working towards a £150m project and simply forget to rock up at the first meeting. As @chuckbert says, there will be an element of keeping your powder dry for when things really matter. As for Mr Hill, he was completely misinformed but fairly harmless in the greater scheme of things. He represents a group that opposes all developments and yet he didn't have a single compelling argument against this project. If that's the biggest opposition we face then we'll fly through this in no time.

We've had years of uncertainty and that will build up the frustrations in those hoping for a quick resolution now that the proposals are there for all to see. But patience and calmness are needed from all quarters now. Imagine this is a 4 year transfer window with @bazzer9461 screaming "have we built anything yet" every 15 minutes!!! Patience is an even greater virtue here.

Indeed.

Surely it was expected that every opposed party would throw up every possible barrier at every possible opportunity? Surely it was further expected that consideration would be given to every opposed party?

If this is the biggest problem we'll face I'll be f*****g delighted.

If only we had a fan who has had a career in PR, even better if they’d had experience in football? Does such a fan exist?
Nail on head. You don't spend years, and considerable expense working towards a £150m project and simply forget to rock up at the first meeting. As @chuckbert says, there will be an element of keeping your powder dry for when things really matter. As for Mr Hill, he was completely misinformed but fairly harmless in the greater scheme of things. He represents a group that opposes all developments and yet he didn't have a single compelling argument against this project. If that's the biggest opposition we face then we'll fly through this in no time.

We've had years of uncertainty and that will build up the frustrations in those hoping for a quick resolution now that the proposals are there for all to see. But patience and calmness are needed from all quarters now. Imagine this is a 4 year transfer window with @bazzer9461 screaming "have we built anything yet" every 15 minutes!!! Patience is an even greater virtue here.
Scotch Egg in balanced post shock..

I emailed my local councillor pointing out Mr Hill's inaccuracies and complained that his statement was allowed to be read out without being fact checked. I also asked for his statement to be disregarded and struck from the record. I received this response: Screenshot_20220119-082420_Gmail.jpg

There might be truth in your last bit. My experience of tricky negotiations is that the wise people keep their powder dry. They let everyone discuss all of the points against them at length until the emotional pitch and energy of the conversation starts to drop and then they slowly start to turn the screw with their strong points.
I’m hoping that this is step was the smoke bomb: flush everyone out who is going to be up in arms and shouting their objections, then collect their points and address them solidly one by one.
From the online discussion I’ve seen, the biggest criticism is of occ trying to “get this through the back door” or some similar conspiracy tosh, mainly with aggressive and angry calls for more information and consultation.
That information is easy to provide, and unless there are (politically) fatal flaws in what is proposed, the consultation can proceed - as would have to happen anyway (no idea how these folks think things work). Many of the criticisms (eg Mr Hill’s false tirade) will be simply put to rest.
That makes perfect sense.
On reflection, I don't think that this is particularly a set back.
Everything the owners have done to date on the face if it seems to have been done in a lot of detail with a lot of planning and over a long period of time .
Based on who was at the meeting, and the fact that the club have clearly been working very closely with the Councils, I assume that yesterday was no surprise at all to the club.
The next meeting will take place after the club/ Council have consulted far more, and I assume that ,as it appears, the arguments can all be countered ( except the green belt?) and the benefits can be clearly shown, hopefully there is a better outcome

It’s mentioned back in this thread somewhere. As far as we can tell he’s an Associate Member of some fringe local pressure group. I would guess he lives in Kidlington hence his interest in this story.

Why he got to speak at this is anyone’s guess. Not being au fait with OCC cabinet meetings I presume any old Joe Public can get involved if they put their name down. Whilst I don’t think it’ll impact things in the long run, it was irritating to see him say things that were simply wrong to OCC when if he’d read the proposal (which was attached to the agenda) or even just the reports in the OM, he would have had a better idea of what was planned.

Regardless of that, we’re getting in a tizz about one person’s comments. There’s going to be more opposition at some point that’ll be trickier to manage than the comments of Mr Hill.
He made himself look like a right idiot, his comments were ill-informed and incorrect, he is the type of person who would never interact with the football club either to learn more about what he thinks he knows and what is actually the truth in the running of a football club, Coventry nearly went out of business twice ffs, literally the worst example he could of used.

I emailed my local councillor pointing out Mr Hill's inaccuracies and complained that his statement was allowed to be read out without being fact checked. I also asked for his statement to be disregarded and struck from the record. I received this response: View attachment 7875
You’re lucky to get a response so quickly I’ve not even had a reply to say thank you for my email in acknowledgment before I get a proper reply.

Muppet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom