General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth is @Manorlounger sent 2 one to the Mathew Barber so won’t get no change from him and the other to a Libdem so don’t expect much from there either.
The more they get, the better. The subject of lobbying came up at yesterdays meeting so councillors are taking this seriously. Just need to be polite, stick to the facts and show enthusiasm for the whole project.

The language used in the recommendation to the cabinet showed that the project is viewed favourably and the history of the training ground shows OUFC intent and application.

The more they get, the better. The subject of lobbying came up at yesterdays meeting so councillors are taking this seriously. Just need to be polite, stick to the facts and show enthusiasm for the whole project.

The language used in the recommendation to the cabinet showed that the project is viewed favourably and the history of the training ground shows OUFC intent and application.
I was firm but polite like yourself we all want this flying get over the finishing line. Would have thought it would have gone through yesterday, then objections and such would be heard and while these are being looked at the club could have carried on with a getting things ready to be present at the next meeting

Truth is @Manorlounger sent 2 one to the Mathew Barber so won’t get no change from him and the other to a Libdem so don’t expect much from there either.
I hope you didn't refer to John Hill as a muppet :ROFLMAO:

True as that might be, we need to win hearts and minds, dispell some of the myths that some may hold about football clubs and their supporters and prove that we are good neighbours and an asset to the wider community, with their (and our) interests at the heart of this.

I was firm but polite like yourself we all want this flying get over the finishing line. Would have thought it would have gone through yesterday, then objections and such would be heard and while these are being looked at the club could have carried on with a getting things ready to be present at the next meeting
Whoever leaked that letter put a stop to it going though on the nod.

Yes but wasn't that letter sent to the local sports clubs etc? It's not like a leaked secret file or something, it was actually sent to members of the public.
The leaked version was not addressed or signed. It was a blank formatted letter.

Indeed.

Surely it was expected that every opposed party would throw up every possible barrier at every possible opportunity? Surely it was further expected that consideration would be given to every opposed party?

If this is the biggest problem we'll face I'll be f*****g delighted.

Zackly. If we or the club can refute Mr Hill's statements politely and publicly we can gain a lot of credibility, in effect he's provided a list of dumb objections to answer.

Whoever leaked that letter put a stop to it going though on the nod.
That's not true. The letter had been circulated to local sports clubs and was being widely discussed (here, Twitter etc) before a copy of the letter was shown. Information of that kind was never going to be kept quiet and the club were already planning to present the same information anyway.

It would have been great if we'd have just sailed through this initial meeting but the idea that we'd have tried to do so in the sly is ridiculous. It would have just created far more issues further on down the line.

We're going through due process, nothing more, nothing less.

In a way Mr Hill may have actually strengthened our case, certainly if he or anyone else continues to use the same arguments further down the road. If the best the opposition can come up with is a list of untruths and misinformed information that can be easily proven incorrect then it'll only further weaken the opposition and strengthen our case.

Best thing for us all to do now is to be vocal all through the consultation period. Keep it polite, but passionate, and make it as clear as possible how important this is not just to OUFC and the fans, but how positive it will be for Oxfordshire and Kiddlington too. And sign that damn petition!

In a way Mr Hill may have actually strengthened our case, certainly if he or anyone else continues to use the same arguments further down the road. If the best the opposition can come up with is a list of untruths and misinformed information that can be easily proven incorrect then it'll only further weaken the opposition and strengthen our case.

Best thing for us all to do now is to be vocal all through the consultation period. Keep it polite, but passionate, and make it as clear as possible how important this is not just to OUFC and the fans, but how positive it will be for Oxfordshire and Kiddlington too. And sign that damn petition!
Completely agree. If the arguments had been about environmental damage, or sweeping numbers of local residents being against this then I'd have a few concerns. Mr Hill is doing his thing, we'll do ours.

The clubs own timeline only has a planning application to be submitted 16 months from now, in May 2023, so they were almost certainly expecting the deferral yesterday.
I can't see that it affects their timeline in the slightest, as it is in fact starting off the consultation process.

Wasn't sent to anyone. It looked like a blank format waiting to be addressed. Typical multiple mail out type.
The leaked document may have looked that way, but the exact same letter was sent out to numerous people and was being openly discussed ahead of the "leak". This had absolutely no bearing on yesterday's decision.

I think that is stretching things a bit too far, looking at this afternoons meeting in a calmer mood, it becomes clear that the decision was never going to happen today. The leaked letter put that to bed. The original agenda had all the details exempted from the public eye. All that was to be seen was an application titled "Outline proposal to lease Council Land". - This was first noted on 15/12/2021* long before it came into the public eye. Had it remained so I fully expect that the decision would have been passed and we would now be moving towards planning.

As it transpired, the councillors were put on the spot, ignore the electorate or take a pause, agree a consultation period and reset. They went with the politically safe route. No big deal, nothing was going to happen without a public consultation but, it would have been easier with the lease details sorted first.

I came to this conclusion taking into account the absence of any petitioner from the club or any representative of the majority shareholders and the ease at which a solution was presented to the Cabinet (and passed without discussion)

I don't know any of this 100% but, I'm guessing that I'm not that far off the truth. The support is there amongst the council but they cannot be seen to "rubber stamp" a decision like this, no matter how much sense it makes - not me saying that, Cabinet member for finance and Corporate director - Commercial development, assets and investment for the County Council Steve Jorden made the recommendation to accept to the Cabinet.
*See here for detail:
Reference to Council agenda

That does seem somewhat sneaky to try and hide it as "proposal to lease land" although I guess the restriction on detail meant this was justified /required. Even if the letter hadn't been leaked, surely at the meeting there would still have been the delays for a reasonable period (the 4 weeks) for stakeholders to have their say. Or is it possible it could have been pushed through?

That's not true. The letter had been circulated to local sports clubs and was being widely discussed (here, Twitter etc) before a copy of the letter was shown. Information of that kind was never going to be kept quiet and the club were already planning to present the same information anyway.

It would have been great if we'd have just sailed through this initial meeting but the idea that we'd have tried to do so in the sly is ridiculous. It would have just created far more issues further on down the line.

We're going through due process, nothing more, nothing less.
I would have to counter that by repeating what I posted earlier. The Cabinet agenda, originally, had no mention of OUFC. This was an item simply about a prospective leasing of council land. Following the leak of the letter or, as you put it, "circulated to local sports clubs and was being widely discussed" all mention of OUFC, stadium etc. was deemed "commercially sensitive" and exempted from public viewing.
I maintain that had this remained so, the recommendation to enter negotiations with OUFC would have been passed through Cabinet. The letter itself is dated 7th January 2022, first post on here was 9th January 2022 with a copy of the letter, not addressed or signed. @YellowForever posted on the 9th that he/she had read about the application the day previously, presumably, he/she had seen a copy of the letter on the 8th. Same day postal delivery? I don't think so.

That a public consultation is now the course of action is no big deal, that would have happened anyway and rightly so. What irritates is that the decision yesterday was to agree to enter into negotiations with OUFC on how to lease the plot of land. Not planning, not building just negotiations. There was nothing sly about this process. It had been noted by OCC officials that this agenda item contained information of a sensitive commercial nature and should therefor be subject to exemption from the agenda.

No matter, the process moves on and judging by the comments at the meeting (all bar Mr Hill!) the signs are favourable.

That does seem somewhat sneaky to try and hide it as "proposal to lease land" although I guess the restriction on detail meant this was justified /required. Even if the letter hadn't been leaked, surely at the meeting there would still have been the delays for a reasonable period (the 4 weeks) for stakeholders to have their say. Or is it possible it could have been pushed through?
The application was to enter into negotiations, nothing more. It was recommended by Steve Jorden Corporate director, commercial assets and investments OCC. No decision on actually leasing the land to OUFC was to be made.

I would have to counter that by repeating what I posted earlier. The Cabinet agenda, originally, had no mention of OUFC. This was an item simply about a prospective leasing of council land. Following the leak of the letter or, as you put it, "circulated to local sports clubs and was being widely discussed" all mention of OUFC, stadium etc. was deemed "commercially sensitive" and exempted from public viewing.
I maintain that had this remained so, the recommendation to enter negotiations with OUFC would have been passed through Cabinet. The letter itself is dated 7th January 2022, first post on here was 9th January 2022 with a copy of the letter, not addressed or signed. @YellowForever posted on the 9th that he/she had read about the application the day previously, presumably, he/she had seen a copy of the letter on the 8th. Same day postal delivery? I don't think so.

That a public consultation is now the course of action is no big deal, that would have happened anyway and rightly so. What irritates is that the decision yesterday was to agree to enter into negotiations with OUFC on how to lease the plot of land. Not planning, not building just negotiations. There was nothing sly about this process. It had been noted by OCC officials that this agenda item contained information of a sensitive commercial nature and should therefor be subject to exemption from the agenda.

No matter, the process moves on and judging by the comments at the meeting (all bar Mr Hill!) the signs are favourable.
Sent by email?

Lots in both private and public sector don't bother with snailmail anymore. Even legal documents often go electronically these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom