Manager/Coach Robbo out. Thread number 2

Should KR go now?

• Yes, now.

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Yes, if we don't make the play-offs.

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • No, talk again at the end of next season.

Votes: 104 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 128 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I support the team, travelling thousands of miles a year for the sake of Oxford United not kr, so the presence of an under achieving manager makes no difference to me.
What's funny on my travels though is to have to sit next to supporters like yourself who seem to accept habitual failure as the norm. Oh and to accept advice on whether to go to games is as quirky as some of kr's annual catch phrases. Bless you and all that!:ROFLMAO:
I don’t accept habitual failure at all, Robinson will be judged like anyone else on results I assume, but my point is that I don’t see him going anywhere anytime soon because the owners seem to believe in him, and I believe so does the majority of the fan base. It won’t last forever though.

I support the team, travelling thousands of miles a year for the sake of Oxford United not kr, so the presence of an under achieving manager makes no difference to me.
What's funny on my travels though is to have to sit next to supporters like yourself who seem to accept habitual failure as the norm. Oh and to accept advice on whether to go to games is as quirky as some of kr's annual catch phrases. Bless you and all that!:ROFLMAO:
I wonder if the club /team would not be hugely disappointed if you didn't give them your 'support' Just wondering

I don’t see him going anywhere anytime soon because the owners seem to believe in him, and I believe so does the majority of the fan base. It won’t last forever though.
I posted the below earlier on the match thread, but it’s relevant to your comment so probably has a place here too:

Interesting comments from Jerome post-match regarding three points providing “Chairman’s delight” even if the performance wasn’t ideal:

“I don’t think that applies to Oxford anymore - I think that Oxford fans almost need to shake that off. I think that might have been true of a lot of clubs in League One, but I mean… I don’t think that Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth, ‘Tiger’, is… he’s the Chairman, but I don’t think he’s the person who is putting the money into the club and making the decision, or will make the decision over Karl Robinson’s future. We know who those guys are, and the ownership of Oxford United want - and I’ll go further than that - demand promotion. You will not be seeing a delighted boardroom if Oxford miss out, and by God they won’t be if United miss out next year either.”

There are times when Jerome offers his opinion and there are times when he will throw people a bone if they are perceptive enough to pick up on his cues. Next season is a big one.

Also, kudos to Stevie K for saying shortly after the above comment from JS that people essentially need to grow a pair and start believing that OUFC is a big club at this level, and that changing the mentality and the mindset to one of expectation, rather than one that won’t let go of having a bad time in the Conference so just being happy to be here, is vitally important. He is absolutely right. The board are not messing about and it’s up to everybody, from the players to the management to the club staff and, yes, even to the fans, to keep up with that ambition or get left behind.

You can’t make diamonds without pressure, after all.

I posted the below earlier on the match thread, but it’s relevant to your comment so probably has a place here too:

Interesting comments from Jerome post-match regarding three points providing “Chairman’s delight” even if the performance wasn’t ideal:

“I don’t think that applies to Oxford anymore - I think that Oxford fans almost need to shake that off. I think that might have been true of a lot of clubs in League One, but I mean… I don’t think that Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth, ‘Tiger’, is… he’s the Chairman, but I don’t think he’s the person who is putting the money into the club and making the decision, or will make the decision over Karl Robinson’s future. We know who those guys are, and the ownership of Oxford United want - and I’ll go further than that - demand promotion. You will not be seeing a delighted boardroom if Oxford miss out, and by God they won’t be if United miss out next year either.”

There are times when Jerome offers his opinion and there are times when he will throw people a bone if they are perceptive enough to pick up on his cues. Next season is a big one.

Also, kudos to Stevie K for saying shortly after the above comment from JS that people essentially need to grow a pair and start believing that OUFC is a big club at this level, and that changing the mentality and the mindset to one of expectation, rather than one that won’t let go of having a bad time in the Conference so just being happy to be here, is vitally important. He is absolutely right. The board are not messing about and it’s up to everybody, from the players to the management to the club staff and, yes, even to the fans, to keep up with that ambition or get left behind.

You can’t make diamonds without pressure, after all.

I think Robinson has a little bit of credit still in the bank that will maybe allow him more than next season, but you're exactly right about the expectations of the board.

When I speculated on players like Nicky Cadden and Sam Szmodics next season there were comments like "you must be dreaming if you think we'll get players like that". As you said on another post, Kane, McGuane, Browne and Holland haven't come here for peanuts. We're not quite at the 10k a week range with Vokes and others, but we're spending a lot more than some think.

Things are about to get even more interesting!

If he's exactly right about the expectations of the board we need a new first team management yesterday and a whole bunch of supporters need to get off their knees.

If he's exactly right about the expectations of the board we need a new first team management yesterday and a whole bunch of supporters need to get off their knees.

You'll not be surprised to find that I disagree.

I think we need to improve in certain areas. Defensively, especially set pieces. Our own set piece delivery from anyone other than Bodin. Goalkeeping with shots from distance, getting down early and distribution. And most importantly, mental strength and/or decision making.

I don't think it's beyond Robinson to oversee these changes, but I think we need more experience than we're getting from Short, Mous, Blackmore-Such and Brown.

We get a lot right, and a complete overhaul isn't needed. But there are things that need to improve if we're to take the next step.

I think Robinson has a little bit of credit still in the bank that will maybe allow him more than next season, but you're exactly right about the expectations of the board.

When I speculated on players like Nicky Cadden and Sam Szmodics next season there were comments like "you must be dreaming if you think we'll get players like that". As you said on another post, Kane, McGuane, Browne and Holland haven't come here for peanuts. We're not quite at the 10k a week range with Vokes and others, but we're spending a lot more than some think.

Things are about to get even more interesting!

I think failure to get top 6 this season will certainly ramp up pressure on him next season to challenge for the top 2.

If we don’t go up next season then the only way I see him staying, will be a very good top 4/5 season where we lose a good play off game.

Let’s hope he can get it right next season because away from the pitch he’s been near perfect.

Not sure if mentioned anywhere in this thread on our budget. My thought was that it was top 8 (where we should finish this year)

In terms of progress, can people really say we haven’t progressed? We are on for more points this season than previous years. If anybody offered us 72points with 3 games to go, I think you’d struggle to find anyone who wouldn’t have taken this at the start of the season! I’d take it at the start of next season. Obviously the disappointment is where we were and how one bad week has seemingly made the playoffs too far away. Let’s have some perspective!

I agree with a lot of comments about the defence, Karl needs to sort that. But how many people signed a quality defender in January in our league? And with Thorniley going, brown in we covered well. The January window is tough which makes the summer more important. And it is those summer windows and squad balance that is Karl’s main issue, he needs better support, and better opinions round him.

3 more wins does it! We will catch Plymouth and Sunderland blow up!! 🙄

As for bringing in additional coaching staff, and purely from a 5 second Google search, you have someone like Marc Bridge-Wilkinson.

Under 18's manager at Liverpool and overseen other age groups within the academy. Previously had a good football league career as a winger (and we know how Karl feels about them!) He'll also have a very good knowledge of PL coaching methods and links to young players available for loans.

Shorty could continue to coach the defence, and spend more time working on the shortfalls we see. MBW could do more with the forward players, especially looking at the decision making of when to cut inside, when to take an extra touch and when to shoot.

That would free Robinson up to do more individual work with the players that need it. He's an exceptional man-manager and generally gets the best from his players and gets them playing for the badge.

Will he MBW give up a great job with the Liverpool kids to come to Oxford as an assistant manager? Probably not. But this is the area that I'd be looking at to help us improve.

You'll not be surprised to find that I disagree.

I think we need to improve in certain areas. Defensively, especially set pieces. Our own set piece delivery from anyone other than Bodin. Goalkeeping with shots from distance, getting down early and distribution. And most importantly, mental strength and/or decision making.

I don't think it's beyond Robinson to oversee these changes, but I think we need more experience than we're getting from Short, Mous, Blackmore-Such and Brown.

We get a lot right, and a complete overhaul isn't needed. But there are things that need to improve if we're to take the next step.
We need to replace our keepers, Jack hasn’t been alright since he’s been back from his illness, Eastybhas done pretty well but gets dropped in favour of. A keeper that has averaged lettingnin 2 or kore per game, the CB pairing seems ok it’s our full backs. Today our midfield started in but then went if the boil m, Matty has two chances but nothing else all game. Bodin had a decent game and is pretty decent in set pieces but he faded halfway through the 2nd half, why Sykesnwas taken if I can’t fathom.
So yes a lit needs to be done for next season the season that Bakri wants us promoted by.

We need to replace our keepers, Jack hasn’t been alright since he’s been back from his illness, Eastybhas done pretty well but gets dropped in favour of. A keeper that has averaged lettingnin 2 or kore per game, the CB pairing seems ok it’s our full backs. Today our midfield started in but then went if the boil m, Matty has two chances but nothing else all game. Bodin had a decent game and is pretty decent in set pieces but he faded halfway through the 2nd half, why Sykesnwas taken if I can’t fathom.
So yes a lit needs to be done for next season the season that Bakri wants us promoted by.
Sykes was taken off because we were overrun on that side. He didn’t defend. Brown was having a tough second half and got no help at all. Sykes should have come off earlier

Yes the wing backs struggle with the defending but it's Gorrin missing that's been massive. Hopefully he signs but we also need a cover for him.I like Henry but we don't need an injury prone player but he's class if and it's a big if he stays fit.

Yes the wing backs struggle with the defending but it's Gorrin missing that's been massive. Hopefully he signs but we also need a cover for him.I like Henry but we don't need an injury prone player but he's class if and it's a big if he stays fit.

Injury prone?

He's averaged 40+ games a season throughout his career. He's been unlucky this season with a calf/ankle injury and 2 lots of covid, one of which extended his lay off. Yesterday was a freak accident.

Is Henry 'injury prone'?
In the past 4 seasons, he has averaged around 45 league games a season

I totally agree about Gorrin but regarding Henry he’s not injury prone, a freak accident yesterday which looked and sounds a very nasty accident. We have to wish James a speedy recovery but probably won’t see him until next season.

As for bringing in additional coaching staff, and purely from a 5 second Google search, you have someone like Marc Bridge-Wilkinson.

Under 18's manager at Liverpool and overseen other age groups within the academy. Previously had a good football league career as a winger (and we know how Karl feels about them!) He'll also have a very good knowledge of PL coaching methods and links to young players available for loans.

Shorty could continue to coach the defence, and spend more time working on the shortfalls we see. MBW could do more with the forward players, especially looking at the decision making of when to cut inside, when to take an extra touch and when to shoot.

That would free Robinson up to do more individual work with the players that need it. He's an exceptional man-manager and generally gets the best from his players and gets them playing for the badge.

Will he MBW give up a great job with the Liverpool kids to come to Oxford as an assistant manager? Probably not. But this is the area that I'd be looking at to help us improve.
Well what is short doing now if he isn’t concentrating on the defence. If KR has a bit of credit left with the decision makers at the club then people like short have to be the ones to make way. Half way through the second half yesterday SK said the defence was a shambles and Robinson was screaming at Sykes to get back to cover and help out brown who was spent.

That isn't a good write up of KR.
He appears to have had free reign of the coaching staff.
At this level we seem to have a fairly large coaching team, so I am not sure that we need more?
From the poll, it appears that most want KR to be given another year, but the Boards expectations will undoubtedly be higher.
If the defensive issues are the fault of the coaching, then maybe KR needs to review the whole coaching set up.

I was always a big fan of Gorrin but before he was injured started to think his overall play wasn’t good enough for a promotion chasing team. I get that he does a job defensively, and others in front of him do the fancy bits for him, but his ball turnover is too slow and distribution not great.
Perhaps we could clone him & Kane over the summer to get that ideal defensive midfielder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom