National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

That shortage of staff is real you know - 10 minute interviews to fill thousands of casual vacancies.

Blame Brexit.

:) :)
Once again, if you read the actual article instead of just the headline...

Australia's tough border policies have exacerbated staffing gaps across all sectors

Last week, Australia raised its cap on permanent migration to help fill jobs.

...and with Brexit causing a lot of foreign labour to return home or not get here in the first place, of course Brexit has had an impact on the ability to fill a lot of vacancies. Working as you do in the NHS, I'd have thought you'd be very aware of this.
1662384011554.png

Once again, if you read the actual article instead of just the headline...

...and with Brexit causing a lot of foreign labour to return home or not get here in the first place, of course Brexit has had an impact on the ability to fill a lot of vacancies. Working as you do in the NHS, I'd have thought you'd be very aware of this.
View attachment 10154

Age old argument that has rattled around for decades - should the UK "steal" qualified staff from other countries leaving them in a worse predicament?

Some say no. others say yes. Depends on your ethical compass I guess......... outsourcing staff shortages to other countries is no better than outsourcing damaging stuff like avocado`s and almond "milk". The problem is out of sight & out of mind. 🤷‍♂️

Qualified staff aren`t created overnight it takes a lot of education & training, something the NHS is very good at, speaking as a student aged 57. :)

Qualified staff aren`t created overnight it takes a lot of education & training, something the NHS is very good at, speaking as a student aged 57. :)

They may be good at it, but they're not doing enough of it.

I believe ~110,000 vacancies in the NHS now, and a third of all new doctors and nurses were recruited from overseas last year.

Britain has three choices - recruit a lot more overseas medical staff, spend a lot more money on medical training for the UK population to increase the internal workforce, or do neither and see the NHS go to hell......

That will NEVER happen
Let's hope you are right.

What, I hear you say? That is happening already with parallel 'private hospitals' offering things like hip replacements because the waiting times at the now sadly underfunded NHS hospitals are so ridiculous that people are in too much pain to wait for a year or two? Surely not....

A quick rebranding exercise ('NHS Private' or 'NHS Platinum Care' perhaps'?) for a notional umbrella organisation and we'd be there....

Let's hope you are right.

What, I hear you say? That is happening already with parallel 'private hospitals' offering things like hip replacements because the waiting times at the now sadly underfunded NHS hospitals are so ridiculous that people are in too much pain to wait for a year or two? Surely not....

A quick rebranding exercise ('NHS Private' or 'NHS Platinum Care' perhaps'?) for a notional umbrella organisation and we'd be there....

Almost all NHS consultants have two jobs.
My pain chap works at the Nuffield and at our Trust all very parallel.
Had my first lot of jabs during the pandemic "outsourced" there, second batch back in the NHS.
NHS paid the private provider first time around and, overall, our Trust saved more in potential waiting time breach fines than the additional cost.

How do you fix that?
Stop the consultants doing two jobs? They`ll leave and only do private.
Stop fining Trusts for waiting time breaches?

Should be simple - been made complicated.

They may be good at it, but they're not doing enough of it.

I believe ~110,000 vacancies in the NHS now, and a third of all new doctors and nurses were recruited from overseas last year.

Britain has three choices - recruit a lot more overseas medical staff, spend a lot more money on medical training for the UK population to increase the internal workforce, or do neither and see the NHS go to hell......

Health Education England currently spends £11 million a day on medical training for roughly 170k students.

HEE are currently " being reformed" so they can try and work out where/why and on what the money is being spent.

The problem is the qualified supply rarely matches the volume of people leaving to go into private healthcare, agency work etc.

HEE are currently " being reformed" so they can try and work out where/why and on what the money is being spent.

We have to supply vacancy data to NHS Digital who throw it into Power BI.

For all the rhetoric on economic growth this is what the Tory policies are really 'delivering' .

“All of the lettuce growers are in the process of selling their nurseries,” Stiles said. “It is pointless planting a crop if you are not confident of securing the labour to pick it as you will simply have it throw it all away.”

You really wouldn't want some of these ERG brexiteers as neighbours eh.

What a lovely bloke. How blessed are we to have such decent people running the country 😐
All we can hope is the good people of Leicester will rid the country of this man at the next election.

What a lovely bloke. How blessed are we to have such decent people running the country 😐
All we can hope is the good people of Leicester will rid the country of this man at the next election.

Part of the shire not the City.

Bridgen is NW Leics.

The City has Liz Kendall (Leicester West) and Ms Acid (Leicester East) who replaced "Jim, the cocaine fuelled, rent boy loving, washing machine salesman".

The local electorate aren`t very good at choosing representatives.

Back
Top Bottom