National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

"I’m afraid we do have this small group of people who hate this country, hate the flag, hate its history, hate its shared commonality and identity"

Surely not!
Every country has them. It's just most don't put them in government and allow them and their cronies to trouser billions of our money in extremely lucrative but utterly useless PPE contracts etc.

History is there to be learnt from, not forgotten and it's seldom a good idea to repeat it....

But now it seems that anyone who points out the failings of the state is ultimately an enemy flag-hating anti-patriot of said state.

Maybe Farridge might find that all those immigrants he hates would end up being better Patriots than some of the Citizens who already hold a UK passport 🤔

To answer this (and QR below) the establishment is everyone at the top. From Cameron who had to lose his job, to the greedy bureaucrats in Brussels feeding off our tax money (some of them without even being elected), to the snidey BBC media. It trickles all the way down to your Oxfordshire Jericho types, middle classes who look down their noses at people struggling, preaching their out of touch message and waving their EU flags.

I would agree with you entirely in that I don't think most of the leave campaigners were men of the people, but the fact is they represented the people.

I still love how pissed off people are tbh.

Every country has them. It's just most don't put them in government and allow them and their cronies to trouser billions of our money in extremely lucrative but utterly useless PPE contracts etc.

History is there to be learnt from, not forgotten and it's seldom a good idea to repeat it....

But now it seems that anyone who points out the failings of the state is ultimately an enemy flag-hating anti-patriot of said state.

Maybe Farridge might find that all those immigrants he hates would end up being better Patriots than some of the Citizens who already hold a UK passport 🤔
Your last para’ is spot on.
Also add , probably more respectful of themselves and by default,of other people AND there property.

"I’m afraid we do have this small group of people who hate this country, hate the flag, hate its history, hate its shared commonality and identity"

Surely not!

The biggest myth pedalled by the far-right is that those flying EU flags are anti-British, are not patriots are traitors etc. That quite simply is complete bull:poop:. The fact is that most Remainers actually ARE patriots and proud to be British - they just realise what a big mistake Brexit was. And just like Brexiteers, they too want what they believe is best for Britain, it's just that doesn't sit well with the far-right's agenda.

• React
Reactions: QR
The biggest myth pedalled by the far-right is that those flying EU flags are anti-British, are not patriots are traitors etc. That quite simply is complete bull:poop:. The fact is that most Remainers actually ARE patriots and proud to be British - they just realise what a big mistake Brexit was. And just like Brexiteers, they too want what they believe is best for Britain, it's just that doesn't sit well with the far-right's agenda.
The claim that there is a small group of people who hate this country, hate the flag, hate its history, hate its shared commonality and identity is absolutely correct though.

The claim that there is a small group of people who hate this country, hate the flag, hate its history, hate its shared commonality and identity is absolutely correct though.
Yes there is.
However he is trying to make 8 x 4 = 2

Because the bbc shows people waving a flag that they don’t like, they’re unpatriotic, because people wave a flag that he doesn’t like they’re unpatriotic.

It’s bullshit right wing rhetoric and you know it.

Yes there is.
However he is trying to make 8 x 4 = 2

Because the bbc shows people waving a flag that they don’t like, they’re unpatriotic, because people wave a flag that he doesn’t like they’re unpatriotic.

It’s bullshit right wing rhetoric and you know it.
You can't see how it could be considered unpatriotic to turn up to a celebration of British national history, whilst flying the flag for a different political and economic state?

The only thing less patriotic than that would be banning Rule Britannia...

Oh wait, the BBC tried that one a few years ago! Reason alone to avoid the TV licence.

You can't see how it could be considered unpatriotic to turn up to a celebration of British national history, whilst flying the flag for a different political and economic state?

Oh wait, the BBC tried that one a few years ago! Reason alone to avoid the TV licence.
No, wanting the best available for your country by being in the EU is the definition of patriotic! Just because Farage's racism blinds him from the benefits of the EU doesn't make remainers non patriotic, quite the opposite.

Last edited:

I see only true patriots wear the colours you want?

Just under half of us wanted to be under that flag, and being part of something bigger as well as being British.( or is it the union of nations part you don’t like and they should all be St George’s flags? )

I am European, I am British and I am an Oxfordian. I’m proud of each of those facts.

And please think about what you write. The BBC considered dropping Rule Britannia in 2020 and decided not too. They didn’t try to ban it.

An organisation that keeps thinking and evaluating what it does in the interests of the whole nation, sounds like good governance to me.

Not really that surprising that you're confusing Patriotism with Nationalism....

I see only true patriots wear the colours you want?

Just under half of us wanted to be under that flag, and being part of something bigger as well as being British.( or is it the union of nations part you don’t like and they should all be St George’s flags? )

I am European, I am British and I am an Oxfordian. I’m proud of each of those facts.

And please think about what you write. The BBC considered dropping Rule Britannia in 2020 and decided not too. They didn’t try to ban it.

An organisation that keeps thinking and evaluating what it does in the interests of the whole nation, sounds like good governance to me.
Yeah it's the union of nations bit that I don't like. I keep trying to ride my trusty steed into Wales for some light pillaging but it's hard to really break through the mountainous central and northern regions.

There might well be some truth to that, as there possibly is to the thought that not everybody who voted for Brexit is a racist but every racist almost certainly voted for Brexit.

• React
Reactions: QR
There might well be some truth to that, as there possibly is to the thought that not everybody who voted for Brexit is a racist but every racist almost certainly voted for Brexit.
It's certainly possible.

As an aside it's interesting how regularly people like to quote that little quip. It goes down in history alongside "flag shagger", "gammon" and "oven ready" as the most overused cliches of the post Brexit era.

Bit of a banter drought when it comes to Brexit.

It's certainly possible.

As an aside it's interesting how regularly people like to quote that little quip. It goes down in history alongside "flag shagger", "gammon" and "oven ready" as the most overused cliches of the post Brexit era.

Bit of a banter drought when it comes to Brexit.
That’s because only brexiteers think it’s funny to shag our country, and then tell us we’re not patriots….

Suck it up buttercups............... 🤷‍♂️

"The UK has overtaken France to become the world’s eighth-largest manufacturer, according to the manufacturers’ organisation, Make UK. Its analysis of the latest official data also reveals that manufacturing jobs in the UK pay better than both the services sector and the economy as a whole."
I have looked high and low and as a fan of Make UK and what they do I’m surprised that I can’t find it. It would be really useful if you could supply a link @Essexyellows

Not every Remainer is a blue-haired angry cancel-culture fanatic, but every angry blue-haired cancel culture fanatic almost certainly voted Remain. Arguments like that are so ridiculous.

There also will be many Remainers who hold some racist attitudes. For some reason "racism" seems to be considered by some a phenomenon of white people. Look at what happened in Peckham recently. There was racism from Asians to Black people and vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom