Transfer News +++Transfer Deadline Day LIVE +++

As I thought at the start of yesterday, it turned out to be a quiet final transfer day for Oufc. This lack of manager was always going to mean we hung on to assets wherever possible and maybe picked up a loanee for cover. Surprised we didn’t get rid of a couple more when we had the chance

Happy that we got new full backs in, unhappy that we never got a new left winger in, unless Hall is back sooner than thought? Good that we kept Ledson and and Eastwood but maybe the money offered was low, both can still be sold in the summer.

With the business done I would expect to stay up, but only after a bit of a struggle as we bed in the 5 new players.

Not great, but an ok January Window.

We’ve addressed the most pressing concern at right back, added some pace with the two loanees from Man City, whilst reverting back to our previous model of signing young players on contract with something to prove in Brannagan & Dickie.

We were overloaded with central defenders so we let Raglan go out on loan (a) to get match fitness & (b) he was the only one anyone wanted! Releasing Xemi is sensible for all concerned. Others will not be wearing a yellow shirt next season but that’s for the summer, not now.

Retaining Eastwood, Ledson & Rothwell is good news.

Yes it’s a pity we haven’t managed to bring in a striker but it sound as if that wasn’t through lack of of intent or effort. Being managerless doesn’t help at all when trying to make a major permanent signing.

So the squad does looks slightly stronger and better balanced now than it did at the beginning of January. Plus we have the mysterious Pekalski in sight of his OUFC debut to come, with the welcome return of Hall & Rothwell.

Of course the proof will be in the pudding with the results and performances. Not everything is rosy in the Grenoble Road garden and I’ll be genuinely relieved if and when we secure League 1 status for next season.

Just need to sort out the position of manager now. I suspect it will be Fazackerley until the end of season now unless we have a run of bad results.

Not great, but an ok January Window.

We’ve addressed the most pressing concern at right back, added some pace with the two loanees from Man City, whilst reverting back to our previous model of signing young players on contract with something to prove in Brannagan & Dickie.

We were overloaded with central defenders so we let Raglan go out on loan (a) to get match fitness & (b) he was the only one anyone wanted! Releasing Xemi is sensible for all concerned. Others will not be wearing a yellow shirt next season but that’s for the summer, not now.

Retaining Eastwood, Ledson & Rothwell is good news.

Yes it’s a pity we haven’t managed to bring in a striker but it sound as if that wasn’t through lack of of intent or effort. Being managerless doesn’t help at all when trying to make a major permanent signing.

So the squad does looks slightly stronger and better balanced now than it did at the beginning of January. Plus we have the mysterious Pekalski in sight of his OUFC debut to come, with the welcome return of Hall & Rothwell.

Of course the proof will be in the pudding with the results and performances. Not everything is rosy in the Grenoble Road garden and I’ll be genuinely relieved if and when we secure League 1 status for next season.

Just need to sort out the position of manager now. I suspect it will be Fazackerley until the end of season now unless we have a run of bad results.

Sensible summary.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I notice Peterborough signed Omar Bogle. Ambition.

Please, tell us all what would have been a good January transfer window for you Kip? According to you this one has plunged us further into the mire. We have signed two very decent prospects who absolutely fit the model that has worked so well for us as we have dragged ourselves out of the mediocrity you are so fond of talking about. Add to that another three young prospects, all in positions we were crying out for help in. Loans yes, but a couple at least with a possibility of making our own if it works out for both parties. Add to this the fact that clubs further up the pyramid than us were offering proper money for our players (something that never happened when we were actually stagnating) and we turned them down. Please tell us what it is you wanted? Five young hungry players. All in positions we require strengthening. Half an outfield team in the notoriously difficult January transfer window and it depresses you? Honesty when I read your posts in my head I use the voice of Marvin the paranoid android from Hitchhiker's Guide (Youtube it kids).

I notice Peterborough signed Omar Bogle. Ambition.

Please, tell us all what would have been a good January transfer window for you Kip? According to you this one has plunged us further into the mire. We have signed two very decent prospects who absolutely fit the model that has worked so well for us as we have dragged ourselves out of the mediocrity you are so fond of talking about. Add to that another three young prospects, all in positions we were crying out for help in. Loans yes, but a couple at least with a possibility of making our own if it works out for both parties. Add to this the fact that clubs further up the pyramid than us were offering proper money for our players (something that never happened when we were actually stagnating) and we turned them down. Please tell us what it is you wanted? Five young hungry players. All in positions we require strengthening. Half an outfield team in the notoriously difficult January transfer window and it depresses you? Honesty when I read your posts in my head I use the voice of Marvin the paranoid android from Hitchhiker's Guide (Youtube it kids).

Come on, u can see why he’s disappointed we didn’t have the ambition to get Omar bogle. U know the striker that since leaving the conference has now had 3 different clubs, and only managed to make 24 appearances and score 6 goals in coming up for 2 seasons.

Will be very interesting to see who starts against Charlton and who doesn't make the bench. Indicators for the future possibly?
Shame that we can't make it to the game, had it earmarked as an easy run up to town on the train but, family matters to deal with. Will have to listen on ifollow and wait for the reports afterwards.

Personally I was disappointed that they didn't get rid of Van Kessel. Maybe they can't until the end of the season. Rubbish signings like him was what probably cost Clotet his job.

Back
Top Bottom