Transfer Window January 2024 Post Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Perhaps a question for our CEO at the fans forum could be framed around the fact that all first team contracts (bar youngsters Goodrham and Golding) run out in summer 2026 or before.

Will we be only looking to sign players in the summer on 2 year contracts, and if so how will that impact on our ability to attract players who are being offered longer deals with other clubs?
If the timescale on the stadium planning application and its subsequent determination is to be believed, we might well know how secure our future is ahead of the Summer 2024 window!

Perhaps a question for our CEO at the fans forum could be framed around the fact that all first team contracts (bar youngsters Goodrham and Golding) run out in summer 2026 or before.

Will we be only looking to sign players in the summer on 2 year contracts, and if so how will that impact on our ability to attract players who are being offered longer deals with other clubs?
I believe Goodrham’s contract is 2026 with an option to extend to 2027, not 2027 outright. He supposedly signed a 2.5 +1 deal last month exactly the same as Goodwin, which was also described by the club as “long-term”.

I’m aware that the likes of transfermrkt lists Goodrham as being contracted until 2027, but it also lists Ciaron Brown as having a contract until 2025, when he himself said on the radio that it runs until 2026. It also has no contract expiry listed for the likes of Brannagan and Bodin, despite it being public knowledge that their contracts run until 2025 and 2024 respectively, so it’s patchy to say the least.

If the timescale on the stadium planning application and its subsequent determination is to be believed, we might well know how secure our future is ahead of the Summer 2024 window!

Well quite, but it would be nice to hear from the club what their thinking and planning was on this, rather than
customers supporters with genuine concerns having to guess.

I'm not sure he was right TBH, didn't Luton rise up the leagues while retaining some of the players that had been in the Conference? I think they were more about getting the most out of their players and signing guys who would fit their style, rather than were of 'Championship quality', whatever that means.
We got promoted in our first season in League 1, (we actually won it) all because we recruited sensibly. We always tried to recruit for the league above. Nathan Jones was always very vocal about it.
It will be interesting to see how they did that. Generally existing Championship quality players, obviously, want to play in the Championship. They also command Championship wages. So, were Luton very good at spotting lower league players who had Championship potential or did they, while adhering to the rules around spending, spend big on existing Championship players? Of course, all of that could be rubbish and they could have just sold Luton as a great place to live, maybe by showing potential players some episodes of 24 hours in police custody to sell the town?
It was through a combination of championship players that had maybe fallen out the team so we got them on a free and smart investments in players from lower leagues that had the potential to play higher.

For all his faults Nathan Jones used to give new signings a pretty impressive presentation that would convince players that were potentially out of our financial budget to maybe take a hit financially in the short term. By all accounts he did this in the championship too. Cant actually think of any player that actually lives in Luton and I cant blame them.

I reckon the clue is in the timing of the fans forum ;)

Oh I’m sure the timing of the fans forum is all based around the potential for some positive news on the stadium planning. Williams and Ferguson wouldn’t be fronting up otherwise.

However there is still a long way to go with the planning process, there might still be delays, adjustments, and reviews. This could well eat into a decent chunk of time.

What if we come to say July/August/September or beyond and it’s looking like the planning process is for whatever reason getting delayed, and bogged down.

What then is the plan regarding the offering of long term contracts and competing with other clubs?

Oh I’m sure the timing of the fans forum is all based around the potential for some positive news on the stadium planning. Williams and Ferguson wouldn’t be fronting up otherwise.

However there is still a long way to go with the planning process, there might still be delays, adjustments, and reviews. This could well eat into a decent chunk of time.

What if we come to say July/August/September or beyond and it’s looking like the planning process is for whatever reason getting delayed, and bogged down.

What then is the plan regarding the offering of long term contracts and competing with other clubs?
Aren't 2 years plus an option pretty normal?
How often do we offer 3 year contracts?
I am.not sure that this is a big deal, but others would know more than me.

Aren't 2 years plus an option pretty normal?
How often do we offer 3 year contracts?
I am.not sure that this is a big deal, but others would know more than me.
Absolutely. Recent history shows we've had our fingers burned on longer contracts with the likes of Hanson and Findlay springing to mind. 2 years with an option of a third if WE (as club) think you're worth it as a player. Anything beyond that needs to be earned. About time clubs took a bit more power on this back from players and particularly agents!

Last edited:
The Luton guy that came on here had a very good point, they were recruiting for the next league up. Championship players when they were in League One. You are not gonna get three Championship players in to replace Brans wage. Getting rid of the four out of contract, especially Murphy and Henry will give us plenty of money available for players, without selling your best player.
That's easy to say and do when you have just sold your full back to Leicester for £15+ million
Sorry cannot remember his name but bloody good player

Who are regarded as the forum heavies then? I’m intrigued
@Colin B definitely, someone who I'd want on my side in a rumble. @Manorlounger for sure, directing the attack from the back sat under a sunshade consuming a brew and biscuits. @Sarge on the sidelines with a big sound system acting as the cavalry drummer with top 70s tunes. @RyanioBirdio for the glamour brought, @MJB the willing foot soldier. Of course, transport to the rumble driven by @Scotchegg.

The fans’ forum will be highjacked by you-know-who with their news about the stadium. Time will run out before some of the big issues are raised (why the lack of communication and why are the fanbase treated like idiots?) Williams and Ferguson will filibuster and talk over and around any pertinent questions. They won’t answer anything awkward.

The fans’ forum will be highjacked by you-know-who with their news about the stadium. Time will run out before some of the big issues are raised (why the lack of communication and why are the fanbase treated like idiots?) Williams and Ferguson will filibuster and talk over and around any pertinent questions. They won’t answer anything awkward.
The news about the Stadium is massive. The most important issue for the clubs future.
Hopefully the communication issue will be addressed ( I would be surprised if Benson and Williams don't backtrack a little- they need to).

The news about the Stadium is massive. The most important issue for the clubs future.
Hopefully the communication issue will be addressed ( I would be surprised if Benson and Williams don't backtrack a little- they need to).
It is. But the whole evening should not be devoted to it. They will want it to be.

T
To me, saying things like 'why are the fanbase treated like idiots?' is unhelpful - it's too vague and subjective, and can just be denied. You need to ask very specific short questions.

T

To me, saying things like 'why are the fanbase treated like idiots?' is unhelpful - it's too vague and subjective, and can just be denied. You need to ask very specific short questions.
I agree. That is the issue; not the actual question.

Back
Top Bottom