Transfer News January 2023 Transfer window thread

It’s not really a surprise that Robinson went for players he couldn’t get yet again, probably spent the whole window waiting then had to get what we could on the last day as usual.
Must be an agents dream when your phone rings with 6 hours to go on deadline day and you see it's Karl Robinson.

Nathan Cooper on WATG did say offers were made on strikers in January but we made offers to clubs simply not willing to sell.

There will be other factors involved but that’s what Rad Ox said on Saturday.

It‘s widely acknowledged in the game that January is a very difficult window to sign and get value for money players, especially strikers.

That’s why it’s vitally important to avoid a lazy, chaotic summer of recruitment.

It‘s widely acknowledged in the game that January is a very difficult window to sign and get value for money players, especially strikers.

That’s why it’s vitally important to avoid a lazy, chaotic summer of recruitment.
So, now you tell us! Tsk. If only we had known. 🙄 :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
I don't normally comment on transfer issues, but will on this occasion, as this is 100% not true.

There was certainly money there, for wages and transfer fees. The fact we couldn't spend it is the problem, not a lack of funds.

Whether it's wise providing such funding, with the current manager still in place, is another matter altogether.
Who left the door open and let Colin escape from the Stadium thread? :D

Darragh MacAnthony comments on KR's sacking in new episode of his podcast.
Mentions Karl rang him numerous times in January about trying to sign Jack Marriott but we could only do a loan.
MacAnthony said they were selling to the highest bidder and wouldn't do a loan. Goes on to say he understands why our board, despite their wealth, may have been keen to keep the budget spending controlled.

Mentions Karl rang him numerous times in January about trying to sign Jack Marriott but we could only do a loan.
MacAnthony said they were selling to the highest bidder and wouldn't do a loan. Goes on to say he understands why our board, despite their wealth, may have been keen to keep the budget spending controlled.
Perfect summary of our recruitment under Robinson: Karl's mobile.

hope that future transfer windows ( including the inevitable massive rebuild in the close season), will mark the end of New Era (influence), and the start of a new era !
Absolutely. Let's hope we start targeting players based on fitness, scouting and data figures, rather than seeing what our Karls favourite agency has to offer...

Very interesting! It was clear as day that the purse strings had been tightened massively (despite what lots were saying re AMBITION), but also shows how mad the situation with Karl was, they wouldn't back him, but they wouldn't sack him either. Unfortunately our execs carry a huge responsibility for the mess this season.

It’s was the same last summer in Spain. He was contacting people on face time. Totally unprofessional, and you should be back home showing them around the stadium and training facilities. It was all lethargic and lazy. I was targeted for the whole window getting slated, because I mentioned this.

It’s was the same last summer in Spain. He was contacting people on face time. Totally unprofessional, and you should be back home showing them around the stadium and training facilities. It was all lethargic and lazy. I was targeted for the whole window getting slated, because I mentioned this.
Same as me. Got targeted for criticising the fact that he spent 5 weeks in Spain & was contacting people via zoom calls. Who you gonna sign for? Sure as hell ain’t James Corden

Very interesting! It was clear as day that the purse strings had been tightened massively (despite what lots were saying re AMBITION), but also shows how mad the situation with Karl was, they wouldn't back him, but they wouldn't sack him either. Unfortunately our execs carry a huge responsibility for the mess this season.
I listened to this too, but wasn’t it confirmed by the board that we had a club record bid rejected? How realistic it was that we actually signed whoever this was, is another thing!

I listened to this too, but wasn’t it confirmed by the board that we had a club record bid rejected? How realistic it was that we actually signed whoever this was, is another thing!
He was already playing for us so pretty realistic, whether we bid enough is another matter. Kyle Joseph.
Personally not sure he’s worth that but who knows in a decent team and played in right position.

This is why I got annoyed listening to one of the fan podcasts yesterday. Claiming people should either be happy that the head of recruitment is leaving or that if they aren’t then it’s proof that Robinson isn’t solely to blame our current mess. Apparently “you can’t have it both ways.”

Utter bullshit and a total failure to understand what has happened over the last year.

We had a great head of recruitment with years and years of experience here, who was previously behind our most valuable and profitable assets. Mark Thomas has nothing to prove to anybody. He was eventually sidelined and ignored in favour of Robinson believing that only he could be trusted with an ever increasing budget. The more money he was given, the more paranoid he became about anybody but him making decisions. This started last January (2022) and then went into hyperdrive in the summer. Said recruitment manager then got fed up and left, having turned down a better and higher paid job at Portsmouth just last season, while we are now stuck with Robinson’s squad and the players that he signed, bar a couple that Tiger pushed our way in Anderson and Wildschut. Robinson always ignored people a couple of times a season and signed his “project” crocks, but the last several transfer windows it’s been a virtual lock out.

It does my head in that people can’t understand what has happened, what changed and why we are where we are. Describing the thought process as linear is being kind to these people.

This is why I got annoyed listening to one of the fan podcasts yesterday. Claiming people should either be happy that the head of recruitment is leaving or that if they aren’t then it’s proof that Robinson isn’t solely to blame our current mess. Apparently “you can’t have it both ways.”

Utter bullshit and a total failure to understand what has happened over the last year.

We had a great head of recruitment with years and years of experience here, who was previously behind our most valuable and profitable assets. Mark Thomas has nothing to prove to anybody. He was eventually sidelined and ignored in favour of Robinson believing that only he could be trusted with an ever increasing budget. The more money he was given, the more paranoid he became about anybody but him making decisions. This started last January (2022) and then went into hyperdrive in the summer. Said recruitment manager then got fed up and left, having turned down a better and higher paid job at Portsmouth just last season, while we are now stuck with Robinson’s squad and the players that he signed, bar a couple that Tiger pushed our way in Anderson and Wildschut. Robinson always ignored people a couple of times a season and signed his “project” crocks, but the last several transfer windows it’s been a virtual lock out.

It does my head in that people can’t understand what has happened, what changed and why we are where we are. Describing the thought process as linear is being kind to these people.

Fence End podcast?

I heard that & was in utter disbelief has stupid it came across.

I enjoy all the fans podcasts and normally agree with most of them. They’re Oxford fans after all.

But I’m with the posters above. The Fence End chaps were a tad too generous with KR in their latest episode and said a number of things I don’t agree with. Their opinions, mind.

Back
Top Bottom