Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Son of Mickey Mellon.
Suitable for the second of two striker spots I sincerely hope we fill. We also need a more experienced striker for the first choice.

Personally not too fussed about experience (assuming you mean years and age) - just proven goal scoring ability, which Mellon has this season.

I just want two strikers that have, recently, scored goals at either this level, the level below, or an equivalent level (SPL).

I don't care if they are 18 years old and on loan, or 29 with a sizeable transfer fee.
Just no more punts on kids who haven't already shown they can deliver, no more last chance saloons looking to reignite a stuttering career, no more 'he'll turn into a goalscorer at this level' pressing 9's.

Out and out goal scorers only. Of which there are plenty.

Personally not too fussed about experience (assuming you mean years and age) - just proven goal scoring ability, which Mellon has this season.

I just want two strikers that have, recently, scored goals at either this level, the level below, or an equivalent level (SPL).

I don't care if they are 18 years old and on loan, or 29 with a sizeable transfer fee.
Just no more punts on kids who haven't already shown they can deliver, no more last chance saloons looking to reignite a stuttering career, no more 'he'll turn into a goalscorer at this level' pressing 9's.

Would prefer permanent rather than loans no not Marriott, but they will cost and hopefully the club are prepared to do so.

Well Mellon has proved it just this season so thats where someone with a longer level of scoring goals would come in.

Fair enough, I see what you mean.
But for me he's a gamble. He's scoring regularly in L2 at the moment but that's all he's done.
I would like someone who has been doing it for a bit longer and in our league or Championship in the past. Not easy to find I know but if we'd done it in the summer maybe we may have had a few more points and not relying on midfielders and defenders for goals.

Well Mellon has proved it just this season so thats where someone with a longer level of scoring goals would come in.
Fair enough, I see what you mean.
But for me he's a gamble. He's scoring regularly in L2 at the moment but that's all he's done.
I would like someone who has been doing it for a bit longer and in our league or Championship in the past. Not easy to find I know but if we'd done it in the summer maybe we may have had a few more points and not relying on midfielders and defenders for goals.

Both fair comments. And that is where your JCH or Ladapo certainly comes into play.

But I wouldn't be disappointed if it's 2x kids that are rattling them in, certainly if they are really hot prospects that might be unobtainable in another year.

Either way, I'm a firm believer that goal scorers have a certain knack for it. They don't lose it. And while they may hone it, they don't learn it either.

Players like JCH, Ladapo, Hardie, Norwood, Marriott - all names we've been linked with - have consistently scored goals wherever they've been, regardless of system or minutes. It's inate.

An 18 year old banging them in on loan for a poor L2 side also strikes me as an inate goalscorer - and two of them sounds good to me too.

Both fair comments. And that is where your JCH or Ladapo certainly comes into play.

But I wouldn't be disappointed if it's 2x kids that are rattling them in, certainly if they are really hot prospects that might be unobtainable in another year.

Either way, I'm a firm believer that goal scorers have a certain knack for it. They don't lose it. And while they may hone it, they don't learn it either.

Players like JCH, Ladapo, Hardie, Norwood, Marriott - all names we've been linked with - have consistently scored goals wherever they've been, regardless of system or minutes. It's inate.

An 18 year old banging them in on loan for a poor L2 side also strikes me as an inate goalscorer - and two of them sounds good to me too.
Yep. You can also reverse that and see plenty of players who have reached the twilight years of their career having never scored notable amounts of goals, meaning experience doesn’t necessarily stack up to teach you where to be and how to just stick the ball in the rectangular netted thing. Just look at Harris, 25 years old. Good footballer, plenty to offer but no amounts of games at a good level have made him a goalscorer. Sometimes it just clicks later on, but if it clicks at 19/20 years old then it shouldn’t be knocked. A lad with 13 goals in 20 odd games is doing something right and has something we don’t.

It’s not through lack of trying, but I’ve noticed that teams have recently been targeting him with long diagonals and I think Long would have normally started ahead of him against those sides (Orient, Cheltenham and Derby etc). I think he struggled at Orient and got hooked when he wasn’t able to cope, but since Long and Negru have been out, we haven’t been able to make a change.

He is a good player and when we are dominant, he’s a really useful asset with his passing.
I think they’ve targeted our right side, but mainly due to Mills as he’s not fully aware what’s going on defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom