Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
£2m gross is a fair price. If the ball playing libero gets his dream move to the Barcelona of the West Country wonder if we will be offering Moore , Brannigan and Sykes, even Agyei, contract extensions now.

10:32

OXFORD TO REJECT ATKINSON BID
Oxford United
are set to reject Bristol City’s initial offer of £1.4m for defender Rob Atkinson.
Atkinson has two years left on his current deal and the club are looking for in excess of £2m for the player signed from non-league Eastleigh in January 2020. Atkinson was named in the League One team of the season in his debut campaign in the EFL.
Celtic have also been linked with the 22-year-old.
Soft touch 🤔

Atkinson with 2 years left on his deal is far more valuable for us to keep to go for promotion next season. The extra income gained from being promoted will far outweigh the money we would receive for Atkinson. Last season we were OK because Atkinson directly replaced Dickie so the transfer cash we received for Dickie was a good deal. You could argue that McNally could directly replace Atkinson so the same could happen, but that second year still on Atkinsons deal means that we don't have to take the risk this time.

Take Sunderland as an example, if they hadn't cashed in on Maja for a few hundred thousand it was quite likely that Maja's goals would have got them promoted in their first season in League 1. The cost of not getting promoted for them then has been millions just to make sure they got a bit of money for a player rather than get promoted and he leave on a free. The same happened with us in the 90s when Kassam cashed in on Windass when his goals probably would have kept us up, but we then got relegated and the long-term loss of revenue to the club by being relegated far outweighed the £1m we got for the player. These are big choices to be made and whilst we have to expect players to be sold from time to time to balance the books, at the moment it sounds like we don't need to and if we did we don't have to be driven to sell our best players on longer-term deals without being properly compensated for at least fair value and hopefully for more.

Much as id love to see him play next season, much of that will depend on whether he wants to stay or move on.
Unfortunately if a championship club begging for the right money we won’t have much say

Atkinson with 2 years left on his deal is far more valuable for us to keep to go for promotion next season. The extra income gained from being promoted will far outweigh the money we would receive for Atkinson. Last season we were OK because Atkinson directly replaced Dickie so the transfer cash we received for Dickie was a good deal. You could argue that McNally could directly replace Atkinson so the same could happen, but that second year still on Atkinsons deal means that we don't have to take the risk this time.

Take Sunderland as an example, if they hadn't cashed in on Maja for a few hundred thousand it was quite likely that Maja's goals would have got them promoted in their first season in League 1. The cost of not getting promoted for them then has been millions just to make sure they got a bit of money for a player rather than get promoted and he leave on a free. The same happened with us in the 90s when Kassam cashed in on Windass when his goals probably would have kept us up, but we then got relegated and the long-term loss of revenue to the club by being relegated far outweighed the £1m we got for the player. These are big choices to be made and whilst we have to expect players to be sold from time to time to balance the books, at the moment it sounds like we don't need to and if we did we don't have to be driven to sell our best players on longer-term deals without being properly compensated for at least fair value and hopefully for more.
Great post. Spot on.

The same happened with us in the 90s when Kassam cashed in on Windass when his goals probably would have kept us up, but we then got relegated and the long-term loss of revenue to the club by being relegated far outweighed the £1m we got for the player.

We HAD to sell to keep the club going. Windass was sold at the start of March with K****m taking over in April 1999.

We HAD to sell to keep the club going. Windass was sold at the start of March with K****m taking over in April 1999.
And I think there were issues around Maja, his agent stirring or something. What you say is probably right but people and real life sometimes get in the way.

All well and good but who is going to stump up the extra cash to keep Atkinson here. As I have said Nelson was on 10000 a week when he went to Cardiff, I would assume Bristol will pay him around the same. I would guess that is a least 6000 more a week than he’s getting here
We cannot afford that, this argument keeps going around and around the only way we can keep players is if we get promoted, but even then if the bigger clubs come looking and can play more we will still lose players

That all hinges on us getting promoted though, which isn't a guarantee even if we keep all our players. It would be a gamble yes, but is it a gamble we need to take? I don't think so. Get a decent fee for Atkinson touching the £2m mark and move on I'd say.

That all hinges on us getting promoted though, which isn't a guarantee even if we keep all our players. It would be a gamble yes, but is it a gamble we need to take? I don't think so. Get a decent fee for Atkinson touching the £2m mark and move on I'd say.
Probably more chance of us getting promoted this year if we keep Atkinson than if we sell.

Also, would Atkinson be worth more this time next year, with still a year on his contract and probably having played even better and so on the radar of more teams?

Love how annoyed people get at the rumours around a transfer fee !
What difference does it make to them how much a player is sold for ? the club has a model which has worked well and I see no reason why it won’t continue to do so.
Players come here knowing we have a good record of improving players and allowing them to move on so it’s no surprise that players are being linked with moving on this summer as long as we don’t loose too many players for 0 like Nelson then it’s a good model for a club of our size , I would rather have players that others want

Love how annoyed people get at the rumours around a transfer fee !
What difference does it make to them how much a player is sold for ? the club has a model which has worked well and I see no reason why it won’t continue to do so.
Players come here knowing we have a good record of improving players and allowing them to move on so it’s no surprise that players are being linked with moving on this summer as long as we don’t loose too many players for 0 like Nelson then it’s a good model for a club of our size , I would rather have players that others want
Don’t think anybody is arguing against most of that. All I’ve seen for the most part is people saying, “Let’s sell our house for what it’s worth, not well below market value.” If someone sold my £300,000 house for £250,000 I would probably have an opinion. That’s all it is. Everybody understands that the house is for sale and will eventually be sold.

On a slightly broader note, my main concern at present is that the defence is already pretty bare bones. We have one right back who had done his hammy last we heard, a semi-retired player/coach in Mousinho, a completely untested kid in McNally who has never played a single professional game, Moore is decent but into his final year (although that doesn’t affect the here and now), and no left back at all. If we sell Atkinson then we need to move quickly to get several defenders in. No problem in principle, so long as there is sufficient planning in place.

Don’t think anybody is arguing against most of that. All I’ve seen for the most part is people saying, “Let’s sell our house for what it’s worth, not well below market value.” If someone sold my £300,000 house for £250,000 I would probably have an opinion. That’s all it is. Everybody understands that the house is for sale and will eventually be sold.

On a slightly broader note, my main concern at present is that the defence is already pretty bare bones. We have one right back who had done his hammy last we heard, a semi-retired player/coach in Mousinho, a completely untested kid in McNally who has never played a single professional game, Moore is decent but into his final year (although that doesn’t affect the here and now), and no left back at all. If we sell Atkinson then we need to move quickly to get several defenders in. No problem in principle, so long as there is sufficient planning in place.
The problem is is there planning in place if Atkinson does leave last season we was crying out for another CB aswel as left back cover if ruffles got injured which he did we also knew we needed another RB but until
January we didn’t get any and then we got Grayson there was a time last season where Hanson was LB forde was RB long was Cb along with Moore that can’t happen again this season

• React
Reactions: Ian
The problem is is there planning in place if Atkinson does leave last season we was crying out for another CB aswel as left back cover if ruffles got injured which he did we also knew we needed another RB but until
January we didn’t get any and then we got Grayson there was a time last season where Hanson was LB forde was RB long was Cb along with Moore that can’t happen again this season
You’re right. I didn’t realise how thin the defence was before now.

I totally agree, if my memory serves correctly it was reported that we still owed Aberdeen the money from the original transfer in July 1998 in March 1999
Bradford04 Mar, 9908 Mar, 01£950,00064 (10)152 (0)06 (0)26 (0)3
Oxford09 Jul, 9804 Mar, 99£475,00033 (0)153 (0)32 (0)00 (0)0
Aberdeen01 Dec, 9509 Jul, 98£700,00065 (13)237 (0)38 (2)80 (0)0

I totally agree, if my memory serves correctly it was reported that we still owed Aberdeen the money from the original transfer in July 1998 in March 1999
Bradford04 Mar, 9908 Mar, 01£950,00064 (10)152 (0)06 (0)26 (0)3
Oxford09 Jul, 9804 Mar, 99£475,00033 (0)153 (0)32 (0)00 (0)0
Aberdeen01 Dec, 9509 Jul, 98£700,00065 (13)237 (0)38 (2)80 (0)0

We did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom