What have you been listening to lately?

Has anybody seen The Smile?
I have just heard 'A Light Fot Attracting Attention' which is a little Radiohead like (no surprise there)

I went to see Blossoms recently - I must admit I’d never heard of them before I was given the ticket as a gift, but they were superb and it was a great gig. They remind me a bit of The Lightening Seeds

Mrs Merritt and I caught 'The Reytons' at Electric Ballroom Camden on Saturday night, they were brilliant. We somehow managed to get far too close to the front and spent the first half of the gig trying to not get involved with the mosh pits that were opening all around us, before retreating to the relative safety further back. I do like a lively Indie crowd, but for 2 x 50+ year-olds, one who has had her hip replaced, sensible heads and self preservation took over :ROFLMAO:

Perks of the job I guess? Went to see the closing night of Stone Foundation's Outside Looking In Tour at Holroyd Guildford - sold out crowd of 300 there, despite colds n sore throats abounding through the band- they delivered a roof raising scorcher of a show (as expected)

Surprisingly Stone Foundation have never played Oxford- closest they've been is Witney

Bonus was an acoustic support from Steve Brooks - co founder of The Jam.... after Brooks left the Jam in 74/75 , at the time a 4 piece, Weller switched from Bass to guitar, with Foxton switching rhythm guitar to Bass , and the Jam continued as a trio- the rest, is history - Steve Brooks has released several solo albums in recent years and collaborated with former school friend Paul Weller on several recordings

(I was reviewing the gig & interviewed Jones N Sheasby from SF with their 25th anniversary celebrations starting and running through all of next year, for my day job)

Perks of the job I guess? Went to see the closing night of Stone Foundation's Outside Looking In Tour at Holroyd Guildford - sold out crowd of 300 there, despite colds n sore throats abounding through the band- they delivered a roof raising scorcher of a show (as expected)

Surprisingly Stone Foundation have never played Oxford- closest they've been is Witney

Bonus was an acoustic support from Steve Brooks - co founder of The Jam.... after Brooks left the Jam in 74/75 , at the time a 4 piece, Weller switched from Bass to guitar, with Foxton switching rhythm guitar to Bass , and the Jam continued as a trio- the rest, is history - Steve Brooks has released several solo albums in recent years and collaborated with former school friend Paul Weller on several recordings

(I was reviewing the gig & interviewed Jones N Sheasby from SF with their 25th anniversary celebrations starting and running through all of next year, for my day job)
I bet Steve Brooks is pleased that he left the Jam when he did!

I found this year a bit disappointing for new music/artists. Mostly found myself buying either reissues or new music by established bands that I already know.

Mrs Merritt and I caught 'The Reytons' at Electric Ballroom Camden on Saturday night, they were brilliant. We somehow managed to get far too close to the front and spent the first half of the gig trying to not get involved with the mosh pits that were opening all around us, before retreating to the relative safety further back. I do like a lively Indie crowd, but for 2 x 50+ year-olds, one who has had her hip replaced, sensible heads and self preservation took over :ROFLMAO:

Is that if you know the old Music Machine venue Camden town?

No, I believe Music Machine is now KOKO? Electric Ballroom is right next to Camden Town tube station.
KoKo was formerly Camden Palace ( post Music Machine) - incidentally , Stone Foundation - who I saw last night in a relatively 'intimate' venue- sold out Koko ,as part of their Outside looking In tour on 11 Nov

Saw The Reytons back in April at the O2 on Cowley Rd that was a lively night, I'm far to old for a moshpit nowadays. Stone were supporting another lively bunch led by John Power of Cast and The La's son, and an old mate of mines daughter on bass.
Saw The Sweet last week and they were spot on, very enjoyable night out. Was supposed to see Kanadia on Friday but circumstances prevented it, no doubt with my luck the review in the next issue of Nightshift will be saying it was the gig of the year.
Supposed to be seeing The Cure tonight, that went tits up too

Saw The Reytons back in April at the O2 on Cowley Rd that was a lively night, I'm far to old for a moshpit nowadays. Stone were supporting another lively bunch led by John Power of Cast and The La's son, and an old mate of mines daughter on bass.
Saw The Sweet last week and they were spot on, very enjoyable night out. Was supposed to see Kanadia on Friday but circumstances prevented it, no doubt with my luck the review in the next issue of Nightshift will be saying it was the gig of the year.
Hopefully the Kanadia gig does get that kind of review, really want them to get somewhere. I'm still waiting for the new vinyl to arrive, it's been stuck at the bloody sorting office for 2 weeks...

been searching for a first issue original of this 1975 gem for nigh on ten years now
finally found one - tis my xmas pressy, to me, from me :)

Philly sound ?
Detroit .... Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie on both writing and production credits ( Wylie being a legendary Detroit musician, vocalist, writer and producer)... albeit it certainly has a Philly leaning/ flavour... ( '74/'75 being the year's Gamble & Huff's Philly sound rose into mainstream popularity worldwide- its a definite influence on this one)

Unissued ( until June this year- when a run of 300 are being pressed up)- white label test pressing landed today - Dojo Cuts are an Aussie based 60s/70s soul/ garage inspired band .... Aint Got No Reason gets its first release anywhere via Last Bastion records , due for limited release in June 2023 - I reckon its 'a bit good' .......

Back
Top Bottom