Home Match Day Thread +++ 01/01/2018 OUFC v MK Dons match day thread +++

Others here must have picked up on the visible presence of both Faz and Chrissy Allen in the technical area today, both very vocal, as was Clothead. Gave me the impression, along with the program notes from Ol' slippery, that words have been spoken and performance demands made. The team performance, though improved and a win, was not enough to say that we are in the clear. Too many mistakes still and set piece defending still needs work along with off ball movement.
Transfer window will be interesting. Maybe DE has told Pep that he WILL revert to the successful model of past few years!

Bloody hell that feels a lot better :)

Fewer mistakes, and opponents who couldn't punish us when we did slip up. Created a lot more chances than the three that were put away.

Harder tests to come but so much better overall.

makes u wonder why he wasn’t told it when he came in. Darryl still signed off on all the players that were brought in, so a little bit of blame for both. Not impossible to find players at this time of year. Pick up mapp’s equivalent of roofe and baldock on loan from his first jan and a couple of others. Then have raglan, ivo and long returning. Could make a big difference
Maybe DE trusted Pep as he did MApp when appointed. Otherwise why appoint Pep at all?

I have been very critical of Clotet over the past couple of months (and I still am), but give him his due he has finally given up his obsession with the pretty, pretty, tippy, tappy 4-2-3-1 formation that has been failing so much. He has finally reverted to the tried and trusted 4-4-2 (or been told to do so?) and what a difference it has made. The players finally started to play as if they knew what they were supposed to be doing. Wes Thomas actually had someone alongside him on his side unlike the usual 3 or 4 defenders and no help.
WE still don't have any real wingers to boost the 4-4-2. But those that played there did their best.

It has to be said that MK Dons were a very very poor side, but they still had to be beaten.

The main worry I have is that Clotet will revert to his highly favoured 4-2-3-1 as soon as he can. It hasn't worked as Appleton found out (though it has to be said that Appleton figured it out a lot sooner than Clotet)

The main thing now is whether Clotet will try to bring in players that suit 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 (if he allowed to bring in any players at all!)

Whatever the recruitment if he stays with 4-4-2 then I have a lot less worries about relegation.

Maybe DE trusted Pep as he did MApp when appointed. Otherwise why appoint Pep at all?
Not really about trust so much, we were told the club had been set up so that if the manager ever did move on it wouldn’t matter, everything stays the same we keep working to the same system. And then reassured that when it did happen that all the backroom staff were staying especially the recruitment dept. So with that in mind u would think at interview candidates were told the same. And Darryl then signed off all the signings. So can’t see it’s really one or the others fault.

Still not sure about GVK as a 90 minute player, would prefer him to be used after an hour as an impact sub.

But then again a win is a win and after the Xmas run we had its welcome.

Up the yellows.
I thought that Gino was very good today starting. He put in effort defending as well as going forwards. He made the first and scored the second. I have not been at all impressed with him to date, but today he looked the part.

Plus he has pace and has scored now 5 goals in 6 starts (8 sub) appearances.

I have been very critical of Clotet over the past couple of months (and I still am), but give him his due he has finally given up his obsession with the pretty, pretty, tippy, tappy 4-2-3-1 formation that has been failing so much. He has finally reverted to the tried and trusted 4-4-2 (or been told to do so?) and what a difference it has made.
The main worry I have is that Clotet will revert to his highly favoured 4-2-3-1 as soon as he can. It hasn't worked as Appleton found out (though it has to be said that Appleton figured it out a lot sooner than Clotet)

The main thing now is whether Clotet will try to bring in players that suit 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 (if he allowed to bring in any players at all!)

Whatever the recruitment if he stays with 4-4-2 then I have a lot less worries about relegation.

I am really not sure that I understand what you are saying. Are you seriously implying that Pep was TOLD to play 4 4 2? If the Chairman is trying to dictate what happens on the pitch then god help us.

4 4 2 reduces your worries about relegation? Thank goodness for that! We have 35 points from 26 games mainly without 4 4 2 which does suggest that we can win games that way. Personally I don't care so much about the formation more the performances and results.

MAPP hardly ever played 4 4 2 and we didn't do too badly under him.

Having said all of that it worked today (whether that was due to pressing throughout the team, Gino and the pace he gave the team or the formation, I don't know)

Not really about trust so much, we were told the club had been set up so that if the manager ever did move on it wouldn’t matter, everything stays the same we keep working to the same system. And then reassured that when it did happen that all the backroom staff were staying especially the recruitment dept. So with that in mind u would think at interview candidates were told the same. And Darryl then signed off all the signings. So can’t see it’s really one or the others fault.
Agreed. It seemed odd that Pep just came in, head of recruitment left and we ended up with a poor squad. If we bring in some up and coming talent and not 50 year old ex Swedes who are hanging out in Azerbaijan in this window I'll be happy!:)

Thought the second half was cracking entertainment. Defences always hate pace and although you are never quite sure what GVK is going to do, his mere presence opened up so much space for us.

Obika was a handful, he’s got decent technical ability and knocked his goal away well.

There are plenty of teams worse than us in this league; thought MK were desperately ordinary at the back - Upson is a reasonable player I guess but their forwards were pants. They are potential relegation fodder.

I’ll say this for Clotet, he’s gone two up front, he’s put in Carroll -who I really like for his attitude - and he’s moved Payne. All sound moves.

Mehmeti has got a bit of pace as well.

All in all , although there are still plenty of flaws in the team - what’s going on in
Ledson’s head? - an encouraging performance.

MOM - Martin - his best game for the club.

"MAPP hardly ever played 4 4 2 and we didn't do too badly under him."

You must have watched a different team to me. Appleton started off with 4-2-3-1 and changed to 4-4-2 around the end of November in his first year.

As far as I'm aware, someone turned up to do it around 10 ish and was kept waiting until almost 12 oclock. Asked multiple stewards and club staff but noone opened it up. Then was later blamed by the stewards for "not asking the right people" and "not waiting long enough". Just another kick in the teeth for the ultras following hard ticket checks killing the new section after a good first 2 games. Shocking treatment since Mixter has joined, a real football sanitiser so I hear.

As far as I'm aware, someone turned up to do it around 10 ish and was kept waiting until almost 12 oclock. Asked multiple stewards and club staff but noone opened it up. Then was later blamed by the stewards for "not asking the right people" and "not waiting long enough". Just another kick in the teeth for the ultras following hard ticket checks killing the new section after a good first 2 games. Shocking treatment since Mixter has joined, a real football sanitiser so I hear.
If that's true it is awful.

There is the supporters liaison person now isn't there? If so people should contact her?

The main difference today - we appeared to have a plan!

Before Martin played the ball down the line to Obika, for the first goal, that pass had been attempted 5/6 times. It also worked for our 3rd goal.

A clear plan to have the strikers run the channels, turn the opposition defence and look to play the ball accross the 6 yard box...playing to Thomas’ strengths. If we play like that, I would be happy to see Hemmings come back. Assuming we ply in a similar fashion, I think he would work well with 2 up top.

I thought we were over run in the midfield a little too much in the first half, but Ruffels and Lesson tightened up in the second. I thought we managed the game well, and still haven’t lost this season when scoring the first goal ?.

Still ropey at crosses in to the box and undecided on GVK!

"MAPP hardly ever played 4 4 2 and we didn't do too badly under him."

You must have watched a different team to me. Appleton started off with 4-2-3-1 and changed to 4-4-2 around the end of November in his first year.
I can;t recall who partnered Hylton up top in a 442, Things changed after the 5-1 defeat at Cambridge in October but who were the front 2? We only had Hoban and Barnett until Roofe joined in January

Last edited:
Re: Hemmings - I can’t see him coming back. I wonder if Mansfield will make us a tempting offer this window.

Stags have lost only once in eighteen games and KH is in the goals.

Not the best picture but it looks like both feet are off the ground so he's out of control and endangering an opponent. Given nobody complained I think the red was correct.

It was right in front of me in SSL. Reckless tackle, lost his head and not the brightest thing to do at anytime during a match. We will really miss him for the next three games.

Re: Hemmings - I can’t see him coming back. I wonder if Mansfield will make us a tempting offer this window.

Stags have lost only once in eighteen games and KH is in the goals.
Hemmings, like Potter, is a good league 2 player. However he might be quality in a front 2! Dilemma.....

If we stick with this formation and tactics, then the Wigan game might be the best result this season.

Back
Top Bottom