Away Match Day Thread 12/09/20 L1 - Lincoln City v OUFC

Playing Kelly is a luxury, we all ready lack hight and steel.also with a small center forward against teams like Lincoln we can not bring back another taller player to help defencifly, Robinson has my respect and he is a good manager but teams now know how to beat us. Plan B anyone?

I mean Appleton didn't really have to think much at all. We play in one way. Us changing it up would have made him think more.

Exactly, managers know how we are going to play before the whistle is blown.
Atm, we have a bang average squad, after an ok window, players with something to prove.
Kr need to cut the cat and mouse antics with fans, and get in the targets they obviously know about. We're not promotion form currently, and all this talk of waiting weeks before the next signing is nonsense. You cant wait until 5 weeks into the season to finalise your best 11. Equally to go from the likes of Mous a couple of years ago, along side a Nelson or Dickie, to the present inexperienced pairing and pretend we're fine is nonense. We need an experienced CB, pace on the wings and defensive cover
Long is never a first choice as was shown today and in preseason.
This is not a sprint but a marathon, and nothing was lost at the final whistle. KR though needs more urgency in getting the complete squad together, changing the way we play and not going in the Oxmail on Monday and talking publicly about his transfer business.

Same old problem reared its ugly head, we just dont know how to beat packed defences. We were starting to get behind them once Cooper came on, its going to be a long hard season if teams are going to do what Lincoln did to us today once they had scored. Fair play to them though, it worked

Player ratings.

Eastwood 6, Long 4, Moore 5, Atkinson 5, Ruffels 6, Kelly 5, Brannagan 6, McGuene 5, Henry 6, Taylor 5, Sykes 7

Clare looked far better at RB than Long.
Cooper gave us more balance didn’t have much time to do much.

MOTM - Sykes

Atkinson sending off, was it a straight red as i thought the guy was through, or a second yellow as he had already been booked.

Atkinson sending off, was it a straight red as i thought the guy was through, or a second yellow as he had already been booked.
It was a straight red, although KR said they are going to be appealing that it should have only been a yellow, to hopefully reduce the time he is suspended.

Player ratings.

Eastwood 6, Long 4, Moore 5, Atkinson 5, Ruffels 6, Kelly 5, Brannagan 6, McGuene 5, Henry 6, Taylor 5, Sykes 7

Clare looked far better at RB than Long.
Cooper gave us more balance didn’t have much time to do much.

MOTM - Sykes

Id say Brannagan was very poor by his standards and should probably have a rating of 4.

We looked ok but no where near the finished article. Certainly no need to worry at this stage and we will only get better and more fluid in our build up play.

It was a straight red, although KR said they are going to be appealing that it should have only been a yellow, to hopefully reduce the time he is suspended.

If an appeal is successful, the card is recinded - they don't downgrade them to a yellow.

If an appeal is successful, the card is recinded - they don't downgrade them to a yellow.
Ah - I sit corrected then, I was going on what KR said post match (perhaps someone ought to correct him too!). I suspect that makes it unlikely they'll rescind it.

It doesn’t help when your “big” players all have an off day. As a manager there isn’t much you can do about that.

There is an awful lot of football to be played yet.
1 game does not a season make*

*unless its a Play off Final.

Be positive, we saved lots of money and done no environmental damage.
Greta will love us and she`s a yellow.
1599933046329.png

My take on the Wycombe, Wimbledon and Lincoln games!
Regardless of the players involved, the set up and style or method of play has been disappointingly the same IMO.
  • Constantly overplaying the sideways and backwards passes (I understand it is obviously useful at times) which allows any defending team time to organise their defence.
  • From throw ins, we still constantly go backwards and never seem to try and advance down the touchline until we are chasing the game.
  • From a lot of our throw ins, even inside the opposition half, the ball ends up around our penalty area in 2 moves!
  • We don't show any sign of urgency until we are again chasing the game.
  • So at the moment, until KR adopts a different philosophy (set up), even potential speedier players are unlikely to benefit when all the oppostion players have loads off time to organise their defence.
  • And I wont even mention corners at either end.
  • This is not a kneejerk reaction but a genuine concern for the way we progress this season.

Until Taylor gets the support he needs in and around the opposition penalty area this is not going to change anytime soon. A virtual rerun of the Wycombe game and easy for Lincoln against a predictable one trick pony Oxford. Work needed on the training ground to counter the opposition banks of 4 set-up - but this should have been done pre-season.

For those discussing the red card appeal, when was the last time ANY League One side managed to successfully appeal a ban?

For those discussing the red card appeal, when was the last time ANY League One side managed to successfully appeal a ban?

You just don't win appeals outside the top flight.

Essentially they ask the assistant referees if the referee was right and they all say "yes" because you don't want to upset the refereeing inner circle do you?

Ah - I sit corrected then, I was going on what KR said post match (perhaps someone ought to correct him too!). I suspect that makes it unlikely they'll rescind it.
Another of my not quite true comments - a successful appeal does not recind the red card, it cancels the punishment. The sending off remains on the players record for the season, so if he gets sent off in subsequent game, the suspension period is automatically increased by one match.

As regards the appeal, it will only be successful if the panel agrees that the match officials made an obvious error in sending the player off.

A bit dated but you can get a bit of an insight into the process here

Back
Top Bottom