Home Match Day Thread 16/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Plymouth Argyle

Frustrating half. We were so dominant when we scored but we didn’t make it count. Again.

We look weak at the back against the counter attack.

Gavin Whyte looks mostly lost in the middle, he needs to move to the right hand side or come off

Kane, Brannigan, Taylor all good. Holland and Henry have impressed in flashes.

None of the back four have been great, especially Thorniley and Seddon

It's a good game of football. Plymouth have been clinical and have shown quality when it counts without being the better footballing side. Their fans should be proud of their support too.

Overall though, I'm probably enjoying watching Oxford more this season than I have in the last few years.

A weird half where at times we looked brilliant and at times we looked crap. Plymouth deservedly ahead IMO. After looking like beastly signings start of the season, I think Thornily and Seddon have really struggled to match up to Atkinson and Ruffels. Whyte has been completely anonymous, get him off for Sykes and lets get at them second half. Plymouth have gone ahead their last two away games and drew them both 2-2 so it's there for us. Henry, Taylor, Kane and CamBran all done well again - brilliant core for a L1 team.

Shouldn't be surprised given the table, but Plymouth are comfortably the best side we've played this year. They're the only side I've seen this season who can match us for quality of passing and movement (other than maybe Bolton - but their defense was an utter circus). We've not played that badly - Pilgrims have just been better.

Gavin Whyte the big disappointment - they've completely negated him. I'd give him another 10-15 to get involved, but if he doesn't show more, get Sykes on instead. His superior movement, and the quality of interplay with the midfield three likely would cause them more problems.

We are making them look better than they are. Poor defending for both goals. Taylor needs far more support up front. They won't be there at the end of the season, but playing like we are neither will we.
No doubt with 88 muns played changes will be played.

Put Whyte wide to see If it improves things. If not, Sykes on. Also we are struggling to cope with their number 14. Need a big second half or this could rapidly run away from us.

Gavin Whyte hasn't looked quite there all season, but I don't think playing him on the left or the centre is helping. If we signed him to be an important player, then play him in his natural - and strongest - position.

Plymouth are so wide and we can't deal with it. The 15 at left wing back and the 8 at right wing back are making the pitch really wide and pulling our full backs out. Then they're turning it in behind and our centre backs are marking a man each whilst there are midfielders breaking forward. We need to stop the threat out wide for a starter, either get Whyte and Holland right out wide and taking those men out or change the system.

I'll be interested in what Robinson does, he has a tactical issue to solve here.

So harsh to blame Whyte for not being on it - he’s not really a number 10/AMC and he also doesn’t have the skillset for it really

If Whyte could score that would do wonders for his confidence.
as I speak he is coming close

Back
Top Bottom