Home Match Day Thread 20/03/2021 L1 OUFC v Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same people saying we have no chance of reaching the playoffs we’re predicting at the end of November that we would be in a relegation battle this season. So they were wrong then and they might just be wrong now.

COYY

Because of the position we find ourselves in the games are too frequent and first choice players get tired or injured as a result. Unfortunately, there are too many SQUAD players who just aren't good enough when they are asked to step up. We just don't have the strength in depth to consistently match the top 6. We therefore get inconsistent performances and results depending on the quality of the opposition.

Blackpool are a good bet to go up. We huffed and puffed and on another day maybe could have got a point ? We definitely miss McGuane but they have got four of him in there team. Kelly and Sykes are not strong enough ,Gorrin goes back to often and Bran has got to be played forward. Forde could have gone to right back and Hanson defensive midfield at least he gets stuck in. We have got to get a new strong midfield next year . I like Karl alot but if the new boys take over he's under alot more pressure next year .But still it's been a tough year and it could be exciting times ahead .

Habibi, I think we lost today because he didn't tinker enough. Apart from the defensive step-back of Sykes for Shodipo it was the same team that got lucky against a madly disorganised Doncaster.

Probably Blackpool set up to deal with that as well as doing the bleeding obvious press on our over-rated defence, guessing that we'd have Taylor up front with minimal support, and having looked at our midfielders realised that if they could pin Brannagan back and limit the out ball to the wing we were toothless.

Sitting back and playing it long to Agyei or Taylor with Lee close in and a winger may have worked but yer man's too timid to change it to outwit a team that can work us out.

But, then again, without McGuane we have a bunch of panicky backward-looking midfielders who can't break forward (apart maybe from Brannagan) and can only kick with one foot (each).

Recruitment has been pretty poor, and a bit random over the past year. It's hard to make a case that we've built a team but we have a collection of individuals. Where was the plan?

Ma'salaam.
You can see it, I can see it. I expect a few others can see it or at least have a notion of what it is. So, why is it that our manager, who is paid a reasonable salary to do just that, not put out a side that can deal with these sort of things.

Not to denigrate ourselves or those on this forum, we are the amateurs, the non paid critique of all that is OUFC but, we can f*****g see it!

Christ we lost to a very solid , well organised side who didn't create clear cut chances and scored through poor defending and a absolute gift of a corner .
We still had chances , actually as good or even better as they had but didn't take them.
Disappointing and some players may have proved that they are not the ones to take us forward .
Going to be an interesting run in but if we do finish mid table I really do not see that as quite as catastrophic, sack the manager etc as some do on here .

Lincoln would only have been 6 points in front and we play them next week with a chance of reducing that to 3 and still with a game in hand so disagree with that.
After today’s performance do you think we can win against Lincoln? That’s an honest question.

Kelly was, erm, cr-.. poor today but I feel like on his day he's a quality player. I'm wondering if having Brannagan behind Taylor and/or Agyei with wingers either side of them and Kelly coming on if we're winning is a good plan. Maybe with Gorrin having a break and Hanson or Forde in the missing midfield role and the other at RB?

Kelly was, erm, cr-.. poor today but I feel like on his day he's a quality player. I'm wondering if having Brannagan behind Taylor and/or Agyei with wingers either side of them and Kelly coming on if we're winning is a good plan. Maybe with Gorrin having a break and Hanson or Forde in the missing midfield role and the other at RB?
Will he ever have his day for us? I can remember maybe 2-3 good performances, a handful of ok ones and the rest anonymous or poor since he’s been with us.

Whatsthe old saying. A Bird In The Hand. Better to have the points in the bag and let the others try and play catchup.

Habibi, I think we lost today because he didn't tinker enough. Apart from the defensive step-back of Sykes for Shodipo it was the same team that got lucky against a madly disorganised Doncaster.

Probably Blackpool set up to deal with that as well as doing the bleeding obvious press on our over-rated defence, guessing that we'd have Taylor up front with minimal support, and having looked at our midfielders realised that if they could pin Brannagan back and limit the out ball to the wing we were toothless.

Sitting back and playing it long to Agyei or Taylor with Lee close in and a winger may have worked but yer man's too timid to change it to outwit a team that can work us out.

But, then again, without McGuane we have a bunch of panicky backward-looking midfielders who can't break forward (apart maybe from Brannagan) and can only kick with one foot (each).

Recruitment has been pretty poor, and a bit random over the past year. It's hard to make a case that we've built a team but we have a collection of individuals. Where was the plan?

Ma'salaam.
That’s a bit unfair. Recruitment didn’t totally work out this year but it wasn’t all our fault- Mcguane injured, Cooper didn’t work out, Clare was a decent player but not what we expected, Winnall unfit (ok that was probably our fault). Our big mistake was not replacing Dickie numerically, leading to a terrible start.

But we must work out how to deal with a hard pressing side, we're so easy to nullify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom