Away Match Day Thread +++ 30/12/2017 Bradford City v OUFC match day thread +++

You’re not alone Bazzer but you write really long posts with no punctuation which makes it really difficult for people to read and truly understand what the heck you are banging on about so there
Give us a break I went to Peers school + I’m using my I phone which becomes tedious to change screen all for a punctuation mark. ?

At last some reasonable replies in a sea of doom............... from people who were there...... and not just chuntering negativity on a minority forum.
It’s called honesty, obviously people can’t see that no matter whether the n this occasion it’s negative or on another occasion it’s positive, but at the moment it’s all negative and people can’t see that.

Formerly known as Palmersgreenyellow but have since moved. Slightly disappointing time to be jumping back on board but the next few results will be crucial in the outcome of our season.

It’s called honesty, obviously people can’t see that no matter whether the n this occasion it’s negative or on another occasion it’s positive, but at the moment it’s all negative and people can’t see that.

No Bazzer, it's not "honesty", it's "your opinion". You seem to think that it's the only one that counts.

No Bazzer, it's not "honesty", it's "your opinion". You seem to think that it's the only one that counts.
Read a few more posts they may not be as loud as mine but a few are in agreement. Yes it’s my opinion but it’s also the truth.

Yesterday was the best performance out of the 3 games over the festive period. There were players yesterday who showed they did care about the shirt and had professional pride. In saying that, we do lack a bit of quality.

Yesterday’s performance as a collective was probably summed up by the performance of GVK. He worked his nuts off and was absolutely terrific off the ball. Unfortunately, on the ball, he was not good. Losing Rothwell hasn’t helped matters as he is quality.

Bradford are decent, they will be top 6 minimum. At least we gave them a game (no small part down to Eastwood’s first half).

The worrying thing is the manager, his tactics and his signings. Nearly every signing he has brought in has been underwhelming. Payne has been excellent, with Richardinho and Mousinho not bad. The rest have done nothing of note. Pep is spending a lot of wages on players not up to standard. People will accuse DE of not spending the MJ/JL/MA money in Jan, but in reality would you trust Pep to bring in players if it were your money?

For those stating the old ‘You all wanted MA gone too’ case; MA brought in Roofe, Baldock, Macdonald and Skarz in January. Pep will need to have a similar worldy transfer market to remain in a job.

Ah but that's the thing though. It isn't all negative. Read the reports from those who were there. Nobody at all is rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic and saying all is rosy...in fact everyone is well aware that we are in a sticky patch at the moment, the manager hasn't (yet) shown that he has the nous to get us back on track, the players are unsure of themselves and injuries have done their part.

Everyone knows this, yet only a select few turn into (and I say this with the greatest respect) ranting, incoherent Victor Meldrew clones. THIS is what people are annoyed at. Outside the match threads (and indeed in real life) I am sure you are a joy to be with, but take a look at your comments on the previous 25 pages. How many times are we "f*cking sh*t", how many "FFS" do you need to get your point across?

Nobody here denies that you are a loyal fan, 49 years is not to be sniffed at and I only come in at 30 years or so. All of us have different perspectives on the current situation. If I say I have seen much worse during my time (Kemp, Patto), say that I think Pep deserves a transfer window all of his own to mould his team then these are my opinions. It seems though that the "negative" fans are the most vocal ones and certainly in the majority on social media (though this may also be a fallacy, how many are positive but don't post).

All opinions, all valid, all wanted...if I've learnt anything in life is that the "truth" lies somewhere in the middle. As the Manics once said "This is my truth, tell me yours".

All the best to you and a happy and successful new year.

Looking back on yesterday I thoroughly enjoyed it despite the result. Went to a few decent boozers. Proper ground. Proper crowd, and a good open, end to end game of football to match. Bradford could have been out of sight first half, but equally we had a couple of chances. The pleasing thing for me was that we didn't let our heads drop and had a right go. I would much rather that than hold on for a 0-0 away at Rochdale. Bradford are a good side and will be in the promotion mix. Only being 22 I was not fortunate enough to see the glory days of the 80's. I have been brought up on conference and battling league 2 football. This is the best I've ever seen Oxford. Far too much negativity on here. We are exactly where we should be, an inconsistent, frustrating, mid-table league one team. And I for one am ok with that.

I was at the game and I think we need to be careful with how we describe the second half because some of the descriptions paint a better light than deserved.

After a shocking start (sugar coat it all you want but Eastwood was poor for their first goal), we basically got ran ragged for the first 45. Eastwood made up for his earlier mistake by keeping us in the game. We could easily have been four goals down at half time were it not for him, and worryingly it wouldn't have been undeserved if we were that far behind. Eastwood's importance, despite his earlier error, cannot be overstated here.

Second half, Canice scored completely against the run of the play. That seemed to galvanise us for five mins. Problem is we seemed to sacrifice everything in a desire to get forward and score. We lost shape and function in a fit of desperation. Just made us look more and more sloppy and eventually we conceded.

The moment they went 3-1 up they gave up, sat back and let us run around and do the work. It almost backfired on them when we scored, but I came away thinking that at any moment they could have turned it back on, which ultimately for me is the bigger worry than the result. We aren't capable of managing a game. If we'd gone 1-0 up yesterday we'd have had to absolutely bust a gut to keep that lead. They went 1-0 and were still able to pick and choose the appropriate times to sit back and attack.

I don't want to be negative, and I am actually quite pleased that some of the guys at the game have come away with a more positive outlook than I have. I just personally saw a lot to be worried about. Our next two games are beyond massive. On paper they're winnable, and anything less than 6 points will be a cause for concern.

I was at the game (Jerome). They battered us first half and 3 or 4 nil at half time would have been fair enough. BUT second half was a decent game and performance. Bradford were hanging on at the end and although a point would have been a steal it nearly happened. I was a lot more annoyed post Rochdale where we got a point than today when we didn’t. Eastwood was outstanding again. No one else was but nor did anyone have a shocker.
Despite what one foaming at the mouth poster has spent the best part of 24 pages saying, we are not “f*****g s**t” - the radio commentary assures him he knows better than those who were there - and we will not even get close to getting relegated. We were playing a side who will finish top 3 or 4. Save the OTT hysteria for if we start losing to MK Dons or Blackpool.

Sorry, but we’ve already lost to Blackpool once, and played terribly.

Warburton sacked for a record of 1 win in 7 at Forrest, yet clotet has won 2 in 12, and keeps his job, just.

I think another source of current negativity that the doom-mongers have lost sight of is that, looking at the last seven games, we've have a tough set of fixtures and have simply lost the games you would realistically expect a mid-table team to: two of the top three at home and a perennial top-six team (and one of the largest clubs in the division) away. There's plenty of cause for concern (injuries, the Wigan capitulation and the recent lack of wins) but we're not in as bad form as some are making out: it's three defeats in seven, five in ten, five in fifteen.

Read a few more posts they may not be as loud as mine but a few are in agreement. Yes it’s my opinion but it’s also the truth.

The problem is Bazzer, you can come across as a really angry and aggressive individual in some of your posts with all the expletives etc. I don’t doubt this is all fired up due to your clear passion for our club and the fact that things aren’t all roses at the moment.

But you do also seem to lose sight of the bigger picture sometimes and pigeon hole your whole outlook to a poor run of results.

You say you are just being honest and truthful and basically belittle everyone else who seems to have a different perspective.

The fact is that we have had a poor run of results, that is true. But you then come out and say we are going to be in a relegation battle. Well that is where your truth and honesty becomes an opinion and where others on this forum have a different view to yours.

You need to accept that we all have differing views and perspectives on the current situation. Regarding the future, you have an opinion just like the rest of us. An opinion you are entitled to of course, but you do appear to struggle when others disagree with you.

It’s not great at the minute and there is zero feel good factor. But we have undergone significant staff/player changes and we appear to have a chairman that has lost his desire to move the club forward and a manager who is struggling to work things out.

Not a recipe for a great season, but all things considered we are still in an okay position. Let’s not beat ourselves up about a poor Christmas period against two good teams. We have lots of opportunities to pick up points and I think we’ll do enough to stick around mid table. That’s just my opinion of course.

I don’t see the transfer window as being too productive to be honest. I just don’t think you get the right quality of player. After all, who is going to release gems at this time of year? We’ll probably end up with some loan signings and muddle our way through to the end of the season.

It’s not great, it’s not ideal, but it isn’t a total disaster either. My expectations for this season have dropped off considerably but it’s not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Warburton sacked for a record of 1 win in 7 at Forrest, yet clotet has won 2 in 12, and keeps his job, just.

Somewhat selective choice of stats though. We'd just won three on the bounce when your "2 in 12" started, so you could equally have said 5 in 15. It's not great, but the only stat that really matters is league position. We're where we are.

Mmmm. Interesting. So, as an avid consumer (but not producer ?) of stats, I’d ask the following:

- is that (i.e. win/loss ratio following a first goal won/conceded) statistically any better or worse than others?

- and do we statistically concede first more often?

Point 1 - I don’t have that much time ?

Point 2 - we have conceded first in 15 of our 25 games!

Will look at how many of those games we lose when we concede in the first 30mins!

Ah but that's the thing though. It isn't all negative. Read the reports from those who were there. Nobody at all is rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic and saying all is rosy...in fact everyone is well aware that we are in a sticky patch at the moment, the manager hasn't (yet) shown that he has the nous to get us back on track, the players are unsure of themselves and injuries have done their part.

Everyone knows this, yet only a select few turn into (and I say this with the greatest respect) ranting, incoherent Victor Meldrew clones. THIS is what people are annoyed at. Outside the match threads (and indeed in real life) I am sure you are a joy to be with, but take a look at your comments on the previous 25 pages. How many times are we "f*cking sh*t", how many "FFS" do you need to get your point across?

Nobody here denies that you are a loyal fan, 49 years is not to be sniffed at and I only come in at 30 years or so. All of us have different perspectives on the current situation. If I say I have seen much worse during my time (Kemp, Patto), say that I think Pep deserves a transfer window all of his own to mould his team then these are my opinions. It seems though that the "negative" fans are the most vocal ones and certainly in the majority on social media (though this may also be a fallacy, how many are positive but don't post).

All opinions, all valid, all wanted...if I've learnt anything in life is that the "truth" lies somewhere in the middle. As the Manics once said "This is my truth, tell me yours".

All the best to you and a happy and successful new year.

thank you for you well worded post Berliner, I have openly commented on this thread very veraciously. I am concerned that we will not pickup with on field matters until there are changes, I do believe Jack Payne will be gone ( I hope not ) but we are not starting him and he came here for games, I don't believe he has started on the bench for the last 3 games because he wasn't mentally right or he has been nursing an injury, he is our best midfielder alongside Rothwell and with the latter probably out for some time.........Well I dread to think what will happen if we lose Payne as well. hardly heard a mention about our midfield yesterday or Thomas, So these are area that should be looked at in January. I cant comment on the defence as they're blowing hot and cold, I like Richardino diminutive he maybe but his close control can be a joy to witness. Mousa I cant work out is he inconsistent or just have occasional bad games. Martin the jury is still out on him for me, The RB position is a really difficult one young Carroll will be a good player but he is still learning and the opposition know this. I would be very surprised as to whether Tiendalli should play for us again.
Eastwood enough said he's quality, although there was talk from as close as 2 months ago that he could possibly be sold in this coming transfer window god I hope not.

Now regarding f*****g s**t or ffs I think I'm qualified to say that and if this forum contained football facebook members from the rivals OUFC & STFC there would be more than just me and possibly stronger expletives being aired.

and also to you and your family a Happy New Year.

The problem is Bazzer, you can come across as a really angry and aggressive individual in some of your posts with all the expletives etc. I don’t doubt this is all fired up due to your clear passion for our club and the fact that things aren’t all roses at the moment.

But you do also seem to lose sight of the bigger picture sometimes and pigeon hole your whole outlook to a poor run of results.

You say you are just being honest and truthful and basically belittle everyone else who seems to have a different perspective.

The fact is that we have had a poor run of results, that is true. But you then come out and say we are going to be in a relegation battle. Well that is where your truth and honesty becomes an opinion and where others on this forum have a different view to yours.

You need to accept that we all have differing views and perspectives on the current situation. Regarding the future, you have an opinion just like the rest of us. An opinion you are entitled to of course, but you do appear to struggle when others disagree with you.

It’s not great at the minute and there is zero feel good factor. But we have undergone significant staff/player changes and we appear to have a chairman that has lost his desire to move the club forward and a manager who is struggling to work things out.

Not a recipe for a great season, but all things considered we are still in an okay position. Let’s not beat ourselves up about a poor Christmas period against two good teams. We have lots of opportunities to pick up points and I think we’ll do enough to stick around mid table. That’s just my opinion of course.

I don’t see the transfer window as being too productive to be honest. I just don’t think you get the right quality of player. After all, who is going to release gems at this time of year? We’ll probably end up with some loan signings and muddle our way through to the end of the season.

It’s not great, it’s not ideal, but it isn’t a total disaster either. My expectations for this season have dropped off considerably but it’s not the end of the world.

If I appear to belittle people its not meant, but I will disagree when people are covering the cracks.

I do honestly believe we will be in a relegation battle if things aren't changed very quickly, 1st half yesterday was very dire 2nd half was a massive improvement but why the metamorphosis why not start brightly rather than wait for the half time inquest to improve our performance.

I will disagree with people if I fell the need to but similarly if I am disagreeing with them is it not because they're disagreeing with me?

You're correct the transfer window wont be to productive and getting the right quality player (s) will be very difficult.

We're where we are.

It's an odd one though. Looking at the table, you think 'OK, safely in mid-table'. Recent games though (I wasn't there yesterday Jerome, but the first half sounded awful, the second half rather better) have largely been very disappointing - and I think the results have actually flattered us (except for Wigan maybe - but we WERE bloody awful that day). The direction of travel on that table is downwards rather than upwards. We now have two home games, both against teams below us in the table. We need more than a couple of decent performances the result in a loss or a late draw in both of those, or in a few weeks we will be looking at the heady heights of 12th with rose-tinted nostalgia.

I guess all we can do as supporters is to turn up as often as we can and try to encourage the players on the pitch during the game. If they think that I'll be clapping them off the pitch after another Wigan-like performance though, they can think again. :(

Back
Top Bottom