Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoilt kids at Christmas you lot.

Come on into the new signings/positive waters, temperature is just right.

Great effort by the club to improve the squad thankyou so much 👏 definitely feel confident we will surprise a few and still plenty of time to get some more in and move some out hopefully. We'll done to everyone left back and another striker and we are looking good.

Feels like the first time in a while that we've had a signing like a Rothwell, Ledson, Lunny etc. Reports from PSF sound good. Exciting stuff.
Vs bristol city he was the only player in our side that day who looked as though he could’ve played for the opposition - and Bristol City played some super football through the lines at times.

We’ve paid decent wedge for him considering he’s supposedly a development project. The glimpses we’ve had of him, he looks not too dissimilar to Goodrham and clearly has a good level of confidence so I think we might be selling him short if we were to suggest he’s only for the long term. I think he will play a fair bit and could change a game or two.

For someone who only has the apparently ‘not a left back’ (to refer back to conversations had on here earlier in pre season) Ciaron Brown, our manager doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to sign one does he!

I’m going to be wild here and say that he was kind of you know player of the season and whatnot

For someone who only has the apparently ‘not a left back’ (to refer back to conversations had on here earlier in pre season) Ciaron Brown, our manager doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to sign one does he!

It seems like we took a look at a couple of left back options, but I always felt that we'd be looking at young PL2 players as the most likely to fill this void.

Manning very clearly trusts Ciaron Brown at left back, but we will certainly be looking to bring in someone to challenge him for his position (as well as offering more of a wing back role).

But the one thing we can see with Manning, he won't be rushed into bringing the wrong player in simply to fill a space.

I suppose there is Thorniley in a distress scenario while we carry on the search. We definitely need one. It also fees up Brown as CB cover in the event we needed it because after Moore and Thorniley we go straight to Negru. Sooner the better but yes I think we’re done with the panic bought burdens and if that means it takes another week or two, nobody will mind.

I suppose there is Thorniley in a distress scenario while we carry on the search. We definitely need one. It also fees up Brown as CB cover in the event we needed it because after Moore and Thorniley we go straight to Negru. Sooner the better but yes I think we’re done with the panic bought burdens and if that means it takes another week or two, nobody will mind.

Stevens can cover as well apparently.

I'd suggest we want a more attacking left back/left wing back than Brown. Then it gives us the option of swapping Brown and the new left back during the game should we either need to become more defensive or more attacking, depending on who started and the situation of the game.

I think Long will be CB too cover with Stevens covering right back. We still need another defender though.

I think Long will be CB too cover with Stevens covering right back. We still need another defender though.
Never liked having too many players as ‘cover’, all it takes is one injury to throw everything out of sync, and two injuries to ruin the system.

Never liked having too many players as ‘cover’, all it takes is one injury to throw everything out of sync, and two injuries to ruin the system.

Listening to Liam Manning, he speaks about the need for everyone to be as motivated and ready to step up regardless of where they may find themselves within the squad.

Injuries to key players is always damaging, but I think it will be less so under Manning with players much better equipped to fill gaps than we may have seen previously.

Listening to Liam Manning, he speaks about the need for everyone to be as motivated and ready to step up regardless of where they may find themselves within the squad.

Injuries to key players is always damaging, but I think it will be less so under Manning with players much better equipped to fill gaps than we may have seen previously.
Totally get that, but in the past the excuse of ‘cover’ and players ‘doing a job’ was a way for the manager to shirk responsibility for building a well-balanced team.

Not that I think that’ll happen under Manning, but I don’t think anyone should be trying to convince themselves that having Ciaron Brown as our only left back is acceptable because other players (like Thorniley and Stevens) can do a job there when they’ve been signed to play different positions.

I'd suggest we want a more attacking left back/left wing back than Brown. Then it gives us the option of swapping Brown and the new left back during the game should we either need to become more defensive or more attacking, depending on who started and the situation of the game.

Wouldn‘t it just be easier to sign a left back/left wing back who can do, er, both - defend and attack ? It shouldn’t be that difficult that we need to have two left backs in the match day 18, one who can defend, one who can’t and one who can attack while the other can’t. Talk about waste of a place on the bench for one of the plethora of attacking, match winning talents we now seem to suddenly be blessed with.

Totally get that, but in the past the excuse of ‘cover’ and players ‘doing a job’ was a way for the manager to shirk responsibility for building a well-balanced team.

Not that I think that’ll happen under Manning, but I don’t think anyone should be trying to convince themselves that having Ciaron Brown as our only left back is acceptable because other players (like Thorniley and Stevens) can do a job there when they’ve been signed to play different positions.

If they are thinking that they I agree that they're wrong. However, having Thorniley, Stevens and Long at the club does buy you a little security whilst we look to bring the right player in.

I don't think we'll be waiting long, and I'm sure we're already talking to potential targets for left back and strikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom