Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn’t there talk that Johnson had just signed a new deal at Wednesday?
Wednesday appointed a new manager a few days after Johnson signed a new contract and they’ve apparently had a bust up. Johnson hasn’t been in any of the three match day squads since the season began.

Wednesday appointed a new manager a few days after Johnson signed a new contract and they’ve apparently had a bust up. Johnson hasn’t been in any of the three match day squads since the season began.
Exactly. Their manager has made some pretty negative remarks to the media about him. This is a player that played a key role in them achieving promotion and a big points tally. Really wouldn't mind him here if the right deal could be done. Vastly experienced, successful, and versatile.

Unsure whether he still has the pace he once had, but can certainly still carry a ball and lots of set piece and crossing ability that we're missing.

Having just signed an extension, if ever a deal were to materialise, it would most certainly be a loan I'd imagine.

From a footballing point of view I'd take him back for sure, a lot of people are getting hung up on him being a left back but I'm certain he'd still have enough pace to perform as a winger, his crossing was excellent when he was with us before. The fact he could play both positions is a bonus and he would certainly give us plenty more going forwards than Brown.

Having just signed an extension, if ever a deal were to materialise, it would most certainly be a loan I'd imagine.

I believe it was only a one year extension so it would be likely that Sheff Wed would look to recover some of their costs by selling him on rather than a loan that would see him leave for nothing next season.

I believe it was only a one year extension so it would be likely that Sheff Wed would look to recover some of their costs by selling him on rather than a loan that would see him leave for nothing next season.

I think he signed a two year deal.

A couple of things.

Firstly, Marvin Johnson is good mates with Marcus Browne after they were at Middlesbrough together so may have just been down watching his mate play.

Secondly, he has history for "forcing" a move away from clubs. We benefitted from him not playing at Motherwell to get a move to us, and lost out when he was sulky before getting a move to Middlesbrough (although the £2.5m fee soften that blow). I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of a plan to orchestrate a move away.

Finally, Johnson has had a bit of an attitude problem at several clubs and with several managers. It's no surprise that he's fallen out with his current one. But I think all would love to have him back. Tyler Burey had one occasion where he reacted to (racist?) abuse from his fans and was open to numerous options at the beginning of pre-season rather than jumping at the first offer. And several still say that he has an attitude problem and should never be anywhere near our club!

• React
Reactions: Ian
A couple of things.

Firstly, Marvin Johnson is good mates with Marcus Browne after they were at Middlesbrough together so may have just been down watching his mate play.

Secondly, he has history for "forcing" a move away from clubs. We benefitted from him not playing at Motherwell to get a move to us, and lost out when he was sulky before getting a move to Middlesbrough (although the £2.5m fee soften that blow). I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of a plan to orchestrate a move away.

Finally, Johnson has had a bit of an attitude problem at several clubs and with several managers. It's no surprise that he's fallen out with his current one. But I think all would love to have him back. Tyler Burey had one occasion where he reacted to (racist?) abuse from his fans and was open to numerous options at the beginning of pre-season rather than jumping at the first offer. And several still say that he has an attitude problem and should never be anywhere near our club!
Johnson is a bit more of a proven commodity in my eyes, has helped Wednesday get promoted only last year and we’ve seen he can perform at this level consistently unlike Burey who has a higher ceiling than Johnson but a much lower floor

Perhaps we were the ones dragging our feet because we couldn’t finalise a deal until somebody left first, and Burey has had enough of waiting around aimlessly?
If we’ve got all this supposed money sat around to either pay transfer fees, or for wages, then I can’t see that a deal wouldn’t have been sanctioned for a player who would add quality to the squad, makes no sense.

I understand the argument about the numbers of players in certain positions, but surely not to the detriment of a new signing who could potentially make a real difference to the squad and success of the team? We could be waiting until next summer to get rid of a few when contracts run out, so it’s like biting your nose to spite your face.

Would more likely sit in the home end if this was the case I would have thought, a lot like you see a lot of players in the corner of the SSU.

Would more likely sit in the home end if this was the case I would have thought, a lot like you see a lot of players in the corner of the SSU.
Tbf, if Browne spotted Johnson a comp ticket then it would be in the away end. All the player comps are in the away end for away games so you don’t end up with parents and partners/kids in the opposition end.

Tbf, if Browne spotted Johnson a comp ticket then it would be in the away end. All the player comps are in the away end for away games so you don’t end up with parents and partners/kids in the opposition end.
Why though, he lives up North, he should have plenty of money to get his own ticket, not as if he has to contend with the house prices in the south 🙄:sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom