Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the points raised about sustainability and Marriott are entirely accurate but they do sort of miss that the horse has bolted.

According to our latest accounts, we owe our owners £20m. Our last two financial years for which results are available show a cumulative loss of about £8m.

If their money is pulled out, and not replaced, we are already fucked.

Should have pushed to keep that wage cap eh.
I don’t think that has been missed - I think it’s been highlighted a couple of times already that stadium + success is the only long-term future.

Perhaps ‘cake and eat it’ but I’d still rather any investments of £500k plus were on assets with the potential to be worth more, that could still improve the squad immediately. That should be possible for that price in L1.

And Tyler Smith was a low-risk, low-cost signing and (at the time) Matty Taylor was still at the club. I stand by it, having watched him play a fair bit it looked like a good addition. We then barely saw him play for a myriad of reasons. I'm not really sure what your point is?

Well his point is pretty obvious I'd have thought. You were bemoaning a striker who has only hit 15 a season once and he was pointing out that you lauded another who's best return was 10 in the NL. £500,000 for Marriott look brilliant business compared to 'can't hit a barn door' Smith at 'low-cost'.

I personally am worried about spending big money on Marriott for these reasons ,
1, no resale value
2, Would mean Harris dropped , a player that has been integral to our great start let alone his goals return ...could shatter his confidence and no guarantee that Marriot would fit in.
3, Marriot a good return last season ( although only scored in 3 or 4 matches .
I personally would prefer us to get a up and coming talent or go the extra 250,000 or so and get JCH from Peterboro.

Not a phrase that I think is particularly helpful to be honest.

Regarding last summer particularly, then of course it's fair to say that Robinson fucked up. But I also think it's fair to say that the entire management process up to board level went missing. It was clear that we weren't getting in the targets we wanted and yet we ended up relying on Tiger to call in a couple of "favours" to get players in. This should never have happened, especially when Ferguson has said that he was involved throughout the summer.

Tim Williams in fairness didn't arrive until after the summer window had closed, and probably deserves credit for sorting things out this summer. He certainly has given Manning and Waldron his full support, even if very quietly behind the scenes.

But there is a point when we need to spend more time looking forward than back, and we're certainly in a much better position now than we were 12 months ago, on and off the pitch.

You were doing so well.

Untill you had to put up the blah about Robinson.

Can’t posters move on from last season? Please.
My point isn't about Robbo per se. I've made my feelings clear there. It's about the fact that for 250k less we could have had a player who would no doubt of scored the goals to get us safer earlier and been a valuable player for the manager (whomever that may be).

He's a good signing now and he'd of been an excellent signing then at 250k cheaper.

My point isn't about Robbo per se. I've made my feelings clear there. It's about the fact that for 250k less we could have had a player who would no doubt of scored the goals to get us safer earlier and been a valuable player for the manager (whomever that may be).

He's a good signing now and he'd of been an excellent signing then at 250k cheaper.
I honestly think they were waiting until the end of the season or something, and thought that Robbo would just keep us up but didn’t expect things to get so bad.

Hopefully a lesson learned. Anyway as others have said, we can move on now!

I don’t think that has been missed - I think it’s been highlighted a couple of times already that stadium + success is the only long-term future.

Perhaps ‘cake and eat it’ but I’d still rather any investments of £500k plus were on assets with the potential to be worth more, that could still improve the squad immediately. That should be possible for that price in L1.
Fair enough, I’m all for having cake and eating it but more “in for a penny in for a pound” (or five hundred thousand) for me. If we are already financially dependent, might as well maximise the chance of promotion.

It goes without saying that if we could find a 21 year old on a free as good as Marriott then obviously I’d sooner that but I don’t know any names.

I would say most teams who get promoted at this level will have some players in their late twenties who have done it before or played at a higher level etc, that seems to have been the case since we returned to the third tier in 2016. Not saying no team has done it with unproven youngsters but in the main you need a few hardened pros in the prime of their careers to complement the youth. So if the owners want promotion, and have looked at this season as a season with a good chance of doing that then its not that extravagant to invest some money in that aim rather than just in players who we will look to sell on in a few years while we remain in league one.

I have harped on before, but can't understand the fascination with running the club like a business right now.
We have owners who have billions, and no doubt if the ground is built, they expect another return on that too?!

Shouldn't us fans at least expect a quality football team whilst they hone their project... Obviously whilst soaking up losses?

I would say most teams who get promoted at this level will have some players in their late twenties who have done it before or played at a higher level etc, that seems to have been the case since we returned to the third tier in 2016. Not saying no team has done it with unproven youngsters but in the main you need a few hardened pros in the prime of their careers to complement the youth. So if the owners want promotion, and have looked at this season as a season with a good chance of doing that then its not that extravagant to invest some money in that aim rather than just in players who we will look to sell on in a few years while we remain in league one.
Fair point. If we want to look for a calculated gamble on a young player who could score 25 goals one season then that’s Harris, Marriott is a complement to that.

I don’t think there’s a single supporter who wouldn’t prefer JCH mind.

Well his point is pretty obvious I'd have thought. You were bemoaning a striker who has only hit 15 a season once and he was pointing out that you lauded another who's best return was 10 in the NL. £500,000 for Marriott look brilliant business compared to 'can't hit a barn door' Smith at 'low-cost'.
I haven't bemoaned anything, you just said that he would be as close to guaranteeing 15-20 goals as we can get and I pointed out that he has only done that once before.

We didn't really see Smith try to hit a barn door, but he's a decent player. Wrong move at the wrong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom