Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Marriot is 28, nearly 29. He is in his prime years as a footballer and will be in those prime years for the entire length of his contract here.

Bayern just spent £100m on a 30 year old Harry Kane.

Can't believe there is so much fretting over resale value. We already have players with resale value, we've signed players with resale value and we will sign more players with resale value in the next two windows. Manning and Waldron have clearly gone back to our traditional "model" in that regard this season which we are happy with.

Our squad is looking good now but lacking experience, especially upfront, if you want experience you have to sign players with less resale value, it's as simple as that. The Robbo playoff chasing sides were good but also lacked experience and that showed when we couldn't get over the final hurdle (I know there were other factors!).

Marriott has played over 100 Championship games including a fantastic performance in a playoff semi-final. He is probably the most experienced striker available that is happy to fit into our wage budget and can be snapped up with a transfer fee we can afford.

The only thing I will fret about is whether he can stay fit all season, thankfully we can rotate him with Harris and GOD and won't be completely reliant on him every game.

Difference here is Bayern will make a LOT of money from selling shirts with Kanes name and number on... we won't from any signings we make..
Hasn’t it been said that the “sells shirts” argument is somewhat overstated? Sure I recall something along those being said in the last year or two.

Hasn’t it been said that the “sells shirts” argument is somewhat overstated? Sure I recall something along those being said in the last year or two.

The money will come for Bayern if he can help them win the Champions Lg.

I personally am worried about spending big money on Marriott for these reasons ,
1, no resale value
2, Would mean Harris dropped , a player that has been integral to our great start let alone his goals return ...could shatter his confidence and no guarantee that Marriot would fit in.
3, Marriot a good return last season ( although only scored in 3 or 4 matches .
I personally would prefer us to get a up and coming talent or go the extra 250,000 or so and get JCH from Peterboro.

Surely the competition for Harris is good ? We definitely do not want another Matty Taylor situation, where he could go 6, 7, 8 games goalless and still get picked.

If our starting point was £0 that’d be fine… we’re losing multi-millions a year and dropping half a million on a 28 year old with limited resale value does make me feel a bit uneasy about where we’re headed.

Saying that, it might be that getting a new stadium and combining that with success on the pitch is literally the only sustainable future anyway.
All depends on the amount of money the owners are prepared to write off tbh! No FFP in league 1, and anything spent can be written off by owners, like Chansiri did for Sheffield Wednesday, who were losing £20m+ a year while in league 1

Difference here is Bayern will make a LOT of money from selling shirts with Kanes name and number on... we won't from any signings we make..

But if we get promoted we will make a lot more money? If Marriot scores goals and we are successful this season then we will make more money?

It’s not an exact science, we haven’t signed a young centre forward to sell on since Kemar Roofe, he signed as a winger 8 years ago so it’s not exactly a regular occurrence in that position. On the other hand we have only signed one older centre forward (Taylor) who has been a success, we have been a bit s**t with centre forward signings, certainly compared to centre backs.

It’s the hardest position on the pitch to get good players in, they all come at a premium and they are all a risk so I am just going to back our owners and staff with whatever they decide to do with the situation and see what happens, whether that’s Marriot or a prem youngster on loan, they are the only people who actually have all the details so they are the only ones who can make the best informed decision about this, if they think Marriot offers the best chance of success and relative value then we will all just have to wait and see.

The good thing this season is we seem to be professional in our recruitment, nobody is being signed because of a mates say so, don’t think I would trust the former manager with £500k.

On the Harris getting dropped scenario, from what I have seen I would be suprised if he still doesn’t get a lot of game time, looks an excellent player who could fit into a few different positions at this level, he will still be a starter most weeks if we sign Marriot.

There will be plenty of game time for both. Harris will run himself into the ground with the off the ball stuff he does.

He also can play on the wing so it’s not impossible that they can play with each other.

Fair point. If we want to look for a calculated gamble on a young player who could score 25 goals one season then that’s Harris, Marriott is a complement to that.

I don’t think there’s a single supporter who wouldn’t prefer JCH mind.

You're probably right and considering Marriott lost his place at Posh to JCH that makes sense. Marriott is still very decent though.

If we are to get JCH I guarantee you it will be about 5 minutes to midnight on the 31st, Fry and McAnthony will squeeze every last pound they can out of the buying club and it will be a painful pursuit. Worth it though if we did land him.

Jack Marriot is 28, nearly 29. He is in his prime years as a footballer and will be in those prime years for the entire length of his contract here.

Bayern just spent £100m on a 30 year old Harry Kane.

Can't believe there is so much fretting over resale value. We already have players with resale value, we've signed players with resale value and we will sign more players with resale value in the next two windows. Manning and Waldron have clearly gone back to our traditional "model" in that regard this season which we are happy with.

Our squad is looking good now but lacking experience, especially upfront, if you want experience you have to sign players with less resale value, it's as simple as that. The Robbo playoff chasing sides were good but also lacked experience and that showed when we couldn't get over the final hurdle (I know there were other factors!).

Marriott has played over 100 Championship games including a fantastic performance in a playoff semi-final. He is probably the most experienced striker available that is happy to fit into our wage budget and can be snapped up with a transfer fee we can afford.

The only thing I will fret about is whether he can stay fit all season, thankfully we can rotate him with Harris and GOD and won't be completely reliant on him every game.

Agree. Too much in football is about the future, what about the here and now ? It will be the best £500,000 we've ever spent if his goals get us to the Championship.

I heard someone on the radio the other day saying Newcastle and Man Utd will be worried about getting in the CL next season, they might be but they're in it this season - and it hasn't even started yet !!!

Enjoy the moment rather than fret about the future, what's the point otherwise.

All depends on the amount of money the owners are prepared to write off tbh! No FFP in league 1, and anything spent can be written off by owners, like Chansiri did for Sheffield Wednesday, who were losing £20m+ a year while in league 1
Didn’t Chansiri sell himself their stadium? They owe him tens of millions.

I’d be amazed if our owners had any intention of writing off debt. I think it’s clear the aim is to create a business model that can support it. I just think the quicker we rack up debt without investing in assets, the harder that becomes to do.

It’s not as though there are half a dozen sure things out there at L1 level anyway, but how much higher would we need to go for a Nombe, Al Hamadi, Langstaff… where the value of the player could go either way.

There's obviously a reason why Peterborough haven't been able to shift Clarke-Harris to a Championship team, in spite of his 1-in-2 overall goal return for Peterborough and managing 12 Championship goals in a relegated team. I wonder if Championship teams have looked at how much he contributes outside of the box - I've seen him a few times over the years and he is an old style centre forward, he doesn't work the channels or drop off deep and he was completely ineffectual against us at the end of last season.

I've no idea if we have a genuine interest, or are prepared to gamble on him getting goals but I do wonder how much of a 'Manning' player he and Marriott are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom