Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To or from a back 4? We've started every game with one so far but not finished that way. There might be no rush to do it but it was his preferred formation before and I'd suggest the main reason we haven't seen it so far is that we've got no one who can properly play the left wing back role, with Leigh in the building we will.

He had his success with 3 at the back before but we've not had the players to play it since he's been here. It's also handy to have the flexibility of having a few different systems that the team are comfortable with so I doubt we'll see either completely consigned to history going forwards.
Sorry meant from. We’ll be tactically flexible and may switch to a back 3/5, but the majority of our minutes will be playing with the 4.

I could see a 3-5-2 ish formation working well with a number of players we have.....still not sure what Manning favours though, is he just working with what he/we have at the moment or will he end up going to the three he had at MK?

View attachment 15260
Leigh and Stevens getting up and down the wings, the double pivot of Brannagan/McGuane/McEachran/Smyth as we've seen for a while, Rodrigues or Bodin pushing on supporting Harris and Browne running off.....I personally would like a new striker in and a new tackling midfielder as well as Leigh (if he comes) but I doubt it will happen.....

This formation wouldn't really suit Tyler/Mills/Murphy though.....? In games where we need to play with a wider winger though they would come in to contention I guess?

Easty
Thorniley
Long
Tyler
Gats
Mills
Murphy
Bodin
McEachran
Smyth
Henry
New striker/Browne

Strong bench to have.

Interesting times at OUFC! COYY's!
Like the thinking, I would think a 3-4-3 would suit us better for the likes of Tyler/Mills/Murphy. As others have said, I think we'll aim to be tactically flexible and potentially switch between a back 3 or back 4 depending on situations.

Attachments

• lineup.png
    lineup.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 20
The Williams move certainly widely reported as imminent so this hopefully moved other things on a notch

Sorry meant from. We’ll be tactically flexible and may switch to a back 3/5, but the majority of our minutes will be playing with the 4.
We'll see and I'm not arguing with recent results but if we get Leigh I think our squad suits 3 at the back better. I don't like to keep going on about it but both our full backs currently are limited on the ball so we gain an extra ball player with Leigh and Stevens playing wingbacks without sacrificing our defensive solidity. I think it's a no brainer myself.

I could see a 3-5-2 ish formation working well with a number of players we have.....still not sure what Manning favours though, is he just working with what he/we have at the moment or will he end up going to the three he had at MK?

View attachment 15260
Leigh and Stevens getting up and down the wings, the double pivot of Brannagan/McGuane/McEachran/Smyth as we've seen for a while, Rodrigues or Bodin pushing on supporting Harris and Browne running off.....I personally would like a new striker in and a new tackling midfielder as well as Leigh (if he comes) but I doubt it will happen.....

This formation wouldn't really suit Tyler/Mills/Murphy though.....? In games where we need to play with a wider winger though they would come in to contention I guess?

Easty
Thorniley
Long
Tyler
Gats
Mills
Murphy
Bodin
McEachran
Smyth
Henry
New striker/Browne

Strong bench to have.

Interesting times at OUFC! COYY's!
We've been playing lovely football in the 4-2-3-1 formation, we wouldn't have started every game last season and this season under Manning if he wasn't using it for drills and tactics in training too. He may have found a lovely way of playing at MK with a back 5 but football and managers adapt each season and I think we're seeing a young coach developing a new way of playing with a new formation for him, it's working defensively and offensively so no need to change a winning formula he's worked hard on.

The benefit is that he knows the back 5 well and he can coach them to learn how to defend in a low block to see the games out. We've seen this done a couple of times already and with Leigh joining we now have the players to slot into a 5 all in their natural positions. It's refreshing to have a plan B option and an organised recruitment process that not only allows us to change shape to see games out, attack games and/or match the opposition, but we also have a lovely balance of players in those defensive positions.

We have Brown and Long who are very strong defensively and good in the air, perfect for games like Derby away where it was long ball after long ball and tons of floaty crosses to deal with. We will also have Stevens and Leigh who offer more going forward, more pace and more athleticism.

Not every signing will work out but it's great to see an actual recruitment plan and strategy being employed. We've targeted the right profile of players, the right mix of youth and experience and positions that fit our primary tactic/shape but who can also slot into others. Wherever we finish this season we know we have a lot of high wages to leave next summer so we're in a good position to have a real go at promotion in the next few years.

Looking at twitter the Brandon Williams deal is progressing but not close to being completed so I think we'll be waiting a while yet. Deadline Day before the next signing?

We've been playing lovely football in the 4-2-3-1 formation, we wouldn't have started every game last season and this season under Manning if he wasn't using it for drills and tactics in training too. He may have found a lovely way of playing at MK with a back 5 but football and managers adapt each season and I think we're seeing a young coach developing a new way of playing with a new formation for him, it's working defensively and offensively so no need to change a winning formula he's worked hard on.

The benefit is that he knows the back 5 well and he can coach them to learn how to defend in a low block to see the games out. We've seen this done a couple of times already and with Leigh joining we now have the players to slot into a 5 all in their natural positions. It's refreshing to have a plan B option and an organised recruitment process that not only allows us to change shape to see games out, attack games and/or match the opposition, but we also have a lovely balance of players in those defensive positions.

We have Brown and Long who are very strong defensively and good in the air, perfect for games like Derby away where it was long ball after long ball and tons of floaty crosses to deal with. We will also have Stevens and Leigh who offer more going forward, more pace and more athleticism.

Not every signing will work out but it's great to see an actual recruitment plan and strategy being employed. We've targeted the right profile of players, the right mix of youth and experience and positions that fit our primary tactic/shape but who can also slot into others. Wherever we finish this season we know we have a lot of high wages to leave next summer so we're in a good position to have a real go at promotion in the next few years.
Yeah he’s probably become a better manager after his unsuccessful spell last season at mk….. you can’t teach a old dog new tricks but he’s still young so will of learnt a lot… kr is the exception man’s just a dog on heat . Wheyyy 🤣

Looking at twitter the Brandon Williams deal is progressing but not close to being completed so I think we'll be waiting a while yet. Deadline Day before the next signing?
On other, less salubrious, football club forums, posters take rumours from various sources, including social media and newspapers and then re-present said rumours as if they have some knowledge of the situation. Thankfully that doesn't happen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom