Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when people think we had a stronger squad in div1?

aaf1081dbea7e770820eb6bec251e1fa.jpg

Now, if we were to combine that side with the squad today, that would be an interesting side.

Whitehead
Robinson, Elliott, Gilchrist, Seddon
Whyte, Brannagan, Lewis, Beauchamp
Moody, Taylor

...although of course Joey was most often at his best on the right wing, despite having a wand of a left foot.

Note: Edited to restore Les Robinson because my old brain had him mixed up with Fordie... as pointed out by Jason N

Last edited:
Now, if we were to combine that side with the squad today, that would be an interesting side.

Whitehead
M Ford, Elliott, Gilchrist, Seddon
Moody, Taylor

...although of course Joey was most often at his best on the right wing, despite having a wand of a left foot.
I wouldn't play Mike Ford at Rightback, I'd definitely have Robbo in there.

Wasn't really a squad was it, it was a team with a couple of subs/stand-bys. We seemed to go through seasons only using about 14 or 15 players, did they get injured less? In the team photo there would be a couple of kids and maybe a reserve or two that you never saw playing.

• React
Reactions: Ian

Whitehead
Moody, Taylor

Note: Edited to restore Les Robinson because my old brain had him mixed up with Fordie... as pointed out by Jason N

I'd have Massey over Whyte purely for his superb crossing ability.

Whitehead
Moody, Taylor

No way Mickey Lewis, god bless him, gets in the starting eleven. I'd have Gorrin and Kane, from what I've seen previously, ahead of him and there has to be a place for Henry even if it meant a re-jig of formation.

No way Mickey Lewis, god bless him, gets in the starting eleven. I'd have Gorrin and Kane, from what I've seen previously, ahead of him and there has to be a place for Henry even if it meant a re-jig of formation.
Very nearly put Gorrin in, but I'm just a big Mad Dog fan although granted by the time of that team he was past his best. And agree with you re: Henry, he's very unlucky to miss out.

Martin Gray wouldn't last on a pitch now as he'd be a red card waiting to happen but that aside, I'd have him in for Mad Dog as he was superb at winning the ball back.

I wonder when people think we had a stronger squad in div1?

In my 35+ years following Oxford I don't think we've had a stronger overall group in terms of talent, technique and creativity across the pitch. Absolutely stacked with quality. The interesting thing will be to see how this team and manager perform beyond that. Nous, bravery and determination for the fight even in tough times. I know some people will say that's old school and football's moved on but, especially in our division right now, is still a massive factor. Of all our players I think Brannagan covers every base and would add something to any of our teams from any era - keeping him this window was the biggest surprise and best news of all.

Now the dust has settled and the window is firmly shut, How strong do people think our squad is compared to everyone else in our league? Personally i think if our squad gel, i wouldn't swap it for any other squad. Yes i know that i wear yellow tinted glasses, but honestly i think this could be our year. Its a long season and there are going to be ups a downs but come May the best team/squad will be top and the worst will be bottom. 14/1 to be champions or 7/2 to be promoted is very tempting.

Stevens

Long Moore Thorniley Seddon

Henry Gorrin Brannagan

Williams Taylor Whyte

Eastwood

Forde McNally Mousinho Elechi

Sykes Kane McGuane

Bodin Winnall Holland

Hanson, Agyei, LCP, Johnson, Cooper, Goodrham, Chapman (gk), Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back