Transfer News Transfer Window Summer 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this was a very good transfer window. Not perfect but very good.

I was expecting to see another defender who was perhaps young and from the prem/champ who could cover across the back line, and a forward who could bully defenders a bit, but hey ho, we look pretty good in my book. The start we have had tells me we will be at the top end of the table come May.

Second rule is, if he ends up developing massively, scoring 50 goals a season and is in demand from PL clubs, but for some reason wants to possibly come back here, someone posts ‘FFS! Why do fans always want to resign ex-players. Move on please’
Who are we talking about here?

As an 89th minute substitute
Decent young player!

Who knows, he might be, but I'm not expecting much, certainly not going on those Thailand highlights!

Interesting on his Wikipedia:

As a Singaporean citizen, Davis was to be conscripted under the city-state's national service scheme upon turning 18. His application for deferment to develop his professional career as a footballer with Fulham was rejected by the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) as he did "not meet the criteria for long-term deferment from full-time NS". His father drew parallels to Joseph Schooling, a national swimmer who was granted deferment and went on to win Olympic medals.

MINDEF countered that Davis' contract with Fulham was no different from other pre-enlistees' personal pursuits and a further appeal supported by the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) was also denied. The ministry also said that Davis did not meet the criteria for long-term deferment due to it being a personal pursuit, and that it was unfair to other pre-enlistees who served their NS commitments] It further added that the deferment rejection was also based on grounds that Davis' father "would not commit to a date" on when his son would return to Singapore to serve NS, coupled with subsequent remarks to the media that he would encourage his son to renounce his Singapore citizenship in order to pursue his career.

On 11 January 2019, Davis failed to report for national service and since 18 February 2019 has been deemed as a defaulter. While the FAS had previously supported Davis' deferment application, they condemned his decision to not return. In October 2019, Davis eventually chose to represent Thailand and declared he would not return to Singapore despite being a citizen, and had no intentions to fulfill his national service obligations.

Davis has a Thai mother and English father. He lived in Singapore between the ages of 5 and 16, and whilst a citizen it us not his nationality. He moved to England to pursue a footballing career and has been given that chance by Fulham and now Oxford. He did not refuse national service but asked if this could be deferred whilst he establishes himself in the game. As this request was refused he has committed his future to the country of his birth and said that he wouldn't return to Singapore. I'm not sure I blame him.

It's a bit low to use this as a way of knocking a young player that we know nothing about. He may be another Osei-Yaw, he may be sensational, but why not give the kid a chance?

He’s seen him play if that helps 🤷‍♂️
He must go to youth games then unless he's judging him on a one minute appearance in the League Cup!

The signing is a weird one for me, he seems to have come with a bit of his own fanbase. He is also avoiding National Service. It's an intriguing one.

As if that matters on YF, where a clear preference for instant judgment based on zero evidence or, at best, Football Manager 2014, is consistently displayed when evaluating players.
On that basis, my performance in championship manger 97 (I think) deserves at least a squad number if not a long term contract. You could edit player names and attributes so naturally I was a young, gifted number 9. We played Swind•n in a pre-season friendly and I scored 5 and was then sent off in the 70th for reacting violently to a bad tackle. My dismissal led to ‘disgraceful scenes’ in the stands according to match report. Although it never happened it is still my proudest sporting moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom