Home Match Day Thread 13-04-2021 L1 OUFC v Shrewsbury Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 13 more points will do it, 4 wins and a draw. Gillingham is the obvious tough one on paper and a win against them really would give us a massive chance. The odds are still stacked against us but another set of results on Saturday like tonight, in terms of us winning and others in the mix messing up, and it really will be game on.

The only positive if we lose to Wimbledon is that it makes Swindon's job even harder.
Also, given it would mean we'd almost certainly be in League 1 again next year, would rather have another London away day than somewhere like Wigan. Win win!

Lovely result.

A few thoughts:

- Hard to pick a man of the match tonight. Has to be between Mark Sykes and James Henry though for me. Henry's deliveries into the box and passing was excellent whereas Sykes was everywhere. I'm still really not sure as it is a Gnat's nads between them. Pity Sykes didn't get a goal as that would have tipped it.

- Their keeper did not have a good game today.

- Good to see Rob Atkinson get his 1st goal, hopefully it is one of many.

- Dan Agyei demonstrating he can't play on the wing again. :)

- That was a lovely ball from Mide to set up Matty Taylor for his 1st chance which was a bit of a poor effort from MT, but he was there to miss that chance. Cracking response to that miss though with his goal with an emphatic finish.

- Pleased for Sam Long getting a goal. Lovely way of celebrating a new contract.

- Elliott Lee showed why he would be a good permanent signing tonight. A very good forward's finish as well for his goal. The little runs/interplay with Henry and Long were just so good at times.

- Good news that Brandon Barker's injury isn't serious.

- Definite red card for Norburn imo. I apparently disagree with KR.

- Things to work on though such as starting better from kick off.

After 16 games us and Swindon were level on 16 points, 25 games later for both teams and they have only picked up another 21 points to leave them on 37 points and facing relegation while we have picked up 46 from 25 and are still in with a shout of the play offs.

No real reason to bring these stats up other than I enjoyed looking them up and they make lovely reading.

Last edited:
Lovely result.

A few thoughts:

- Hard to pick a man of the match tonight. Has to be between Mark Sykes and James Henry though for me. Henry's deliveries into the box and passing was excellent whereas Sykes was everywhere. I'm still really not sure as it is a Gnat's nads between them. Pity Sykes didn't get a goal as that would have tipped it.

- Their keeper did not have a good game today.

- Good to see Rob Atkinson get his 1st goal, hopefully it is one of many.

- Dan Agyei demonstrating he can't play on the wing again. :)

- That was a lovely ball from Mide to set up Matty Taylor for his 1st chance which was a bit of a poor effort from MT, but he was there to miss that chance. Cracking response to that miss though with his goal with an emphatic finish.

- Pleased for Sam Long getting a goal. Lovely way of celebrating a new contract.

- Elliott Lee showed why he would be a good permanent signing tonight. A very good forward's finish as well for his goal. The little runs/interplay with Henry and Long were just so good at times.

- Good news that Brandon Barker's injury isn't serious.

- Definite red card for Norburn imo. I apparently disagree with KR.

- Things to work on though such as starting better from kick off.
I would include Atkinson as potential MoM.
A couple of great runs, some really good goal saving defensive headers and a goal ( he should have scored another too)
Agree with the response of Taylor. I was surprised at some people having a right go at him after his miss. 15 goals now this season?

I think 13 more points will do it, 4 wins and a draw. Gillingham is the obvious tough one on paper and a win against them really would give us a massive chance. The odds are still stacked against us but another set of results on Saturday like tonight, in terms of us winning and others in the mix messing up, and it really will be game on.

A huge task.

But on the back of the last 2 performances and considering we have already proven we can put together an excellent run of results, you do start to wonder if we can perform a miracle.

All games are massive, but get 3 points on Saturday and it will feel like we have given ourselves one more throw of the dice.

Ey4YBHaXAAICOyO

Only saw the second half tonight (meeting stretched over the first half...Grrrrrr).
But my assessment was that Shrewsbury were pretty useful going forwards and absolutely atrocious at the back. Almost Rochdale levels. The defending for the much easier chance that Matty missed when clean through was some of the most ridiculously schoolboy stuff I'd ever seen at the third tier level! The third and fourth goals weren't much better.

Anyways, we were great. 15 more points and we'll definitely be in. 12-13 is probably. Any less and we'd have to get lucky.

As good a run of fixtures as we could ask for......but we can't afford another Northampton. Got to be on it all five games.

Still, I said on Saturday that it was nice to still have hope for another few days. Can say the same thing tonight!

Pi led this comment up of their forum just after we scored our 2nd

Oxford look a fine team on the evidence of this,fully deserving their two goal lead. An unlucky deflection and nothing Sarkic could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom