13/08/22 - L1: Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably been covered earlier in the thread...

Thoughts on the Bristol Rovers official Twitter? Not sure the official account should be involving itself in the below. Lack of class or good banter?

Attachments

• F0C8CB6F-B26D-4630-8221-164B0B87B1CA.jpeg
    F0C8CB6F-B26D-4630-8221-164B0B87B1CA.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 71
  • AAADE252-E6FD-4411-B523-5038155CC1BF.jpeg
    AAADE252-E6FD-4411-B523-5038155CC1BF.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 71

Thoughts on the Bristol Rovers official Twitter? Not sure the official account should be involving itself in the below. Lack of class or good banter?
The Rovers fans applauded Bodin but hysterically hate Taylor. The club twitter is playing up to that in probably a tongue in cheek way, but the vitriol just feels childish. Ooh, he went to Bristol City!

Pathetic for an official account. I've seen part time non League clubs change the volunteer doing social media for far less. Bristol Rovers further demonstrate that they have absolutely no class and are taking on the persona of Joey Barton. Maybe they admire Wycombe's owner for his social media acumen.

One club I'd laugh at if they went down.

I have to disagree with you as far as bringing McGinty in is concerned. Eastwood has only conceded two goals in three games thus far. Surely that reflects the key component of his role. And how can you have more faith in a guy whom you've only seen play once and whose distribution during those 90 minutes was no more than OK? I think the weak distribution issue is equally emphasised by that fact that neither Moore or Findlay is comfortable in bringing the ball out of defence in the manner of McNally, Atkinson or Dickie.
Watching only on iFollow, I haven't seen McGinty, but if he isn't yet ready, I hope we have a goalkeeper lined up on loan as Eastwood, whilst a good shop stopper, his distribution is simply not good enough. The difference between Eastwood and the Derby keeper for example was massive.

Bristol fans may read too much into beating us yesterday, they were a very poor side (compared to Derby, and even Cambridge), which says a lot regarding how poor we were. Pretty sure Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Portsmouth, et al will provide a reality check for their fans if they see themselves in the top half later on. Generally, I think the league will play out as last season, a league split between 9 or 10 good sides, and the rest considerably weaker. The only question after yesterday is which half we will reside in, rather than will we get the necessary 80 points to secure a playoff spot.

Big game for Karl on Tuesday after such a poor display, yet with the lack of balance in the side, I worry we may struggle (and we have an easy start to the season so there should be no excuses). Not asking for much, but therefore need by Monday morning to sign (quality) a keeper, two wing-backs and a winger, with the extra Striker waiting until Tuesday......

Player rating from watching it on the TV​

Eastwood 6 great save, dodgy deliveries
Long 6.5 solid, good runs & fair crossing
Moore 6 defended ok, weak passing from the back
Findlay 6 defence ok, out of position
Seddon 6.5 much better, positioning good & back peddled
Mcguane 7 pass ratio very good, seems to obtain the pass facing our goal 75plus %
Brannagan 6 maybe mentally weak, didn't really turn up
Henry 5.5 robust, with the attacks. Was like a kids on sweets chasing the ball when they scored.
Browne 6 too many touches, least stayed on his feet
Bodin 6.5 one of the best attacking players
Taylor 6 same as Cam

Wax statues AKA ball boys -10
Are those scores out of 20, if not you need a tv repair man.

After a long, hot, drive back from Bristol I refrained from reading the board last nigh, as I knew it would only depress me further. Having now read through this thread, most of it has been said, so I'll only add one thing.

After a complete shitshow like yesterday's, against a team of shithouses, managed by a complete c**t of a man, the last thing I want to see is my manager walking off with his arms around their players' shoulders and laughing and joking with his "mate" Joey. There's having a bad day, and then there's adding to it by completely failing to read the room.

Not happy. At all.
Hi Colin......you will know I'm housebound for a few weeks with a fractured hip........quite depressing, but your excellent prose says it all and brought a wry smile from me....sadly I watched the first half on ifollow and turned it off at half time....took a few more pain killers and went to bed........what I'm trying to say is I agree with you wholeheartedly.......hey ho....never a dull moment it seems.....

Last edited:
Hopefully for you things will get better, I'm sure everyone on here will wish you well.
Your post is a perfect example of what football is about for so many. (Certainly was for myself and Mrs L) It's an escape from the reality of day to day life. When things are not right we can turn to our football club for that 90 minutes of de-stressing and exuberant rejoicing in scoring, winning and so forth. And then things don't go so well on the pitch and it's not such a relief but, we tried, we were good but not quite there, we came up against a better team etc. In that perspective it's still not so bad and, there's next time to look forward to with confidence.
And then:

So, having played s**t and lost to a second rate club managed by a very unpleasant character, having stood in the sun all afternoon and having paid over the top for the privilege at a ground which ran out of drinks provided stinking portaloos and insisted on removing bottle caps on entry, we have to witness the above.
All this to then drive home through traffic in the heat, tired and uncomfortable. What solace does that provide to all those who see the game as their escape from day to day life?
How can that be reckoned into all the other expenditure that is normal life now?

FFS! OUFC Wake up!
Agree. Stood for two hours on an open terrace in 36 degrees of unshaded sun, watching complete dross directed by a clueless manager, and then he throws it in our faces at the end. Is it any wonder few people stayed afterwards to clap?

[/QUOTE]
The Rovers fans applauded Bodin but hysterically hate Taylor. The club twitter is playing up to that in probably a tongue in cheek way, but the vitriol just feels childish. Ooh, he went to Bristol City!
Well, to be quite honest, you do not do that sort of thing.

Considering forest were bottom after 8 games and 5 pts what's the panic it's a marathon?. Granted dint look good and favourites are at top if you can't reach it play offs it is and make sure you win it. Still 2 weeks of players potential coming in and also wi ter window to help push on if needed. I still struggle at moment who could we bring in to replace KR if not going well or poach as again it will mean players being moved on etc??. I would wait until at least 10 games and how the leagues shaping up before we throw toys out of pram if not going well in relation to where we think we should be.

Shiteshow yesterday but we really shouldn’t be sticking the boot into the manager yet, far too early.
When is the right time then
Considering forest were bottom after 8 games and 5 pts what's the panic it's a marathon?. Granted dint look good and favourites are at top if you can't reach it play offs it is and make sure you win it. Still 2 weeks of players potential coming in and also wi ter window to help push on if needed. I still struggle at moment who could we bring in to replace KR if not going well or poach as again it will mean players being moved on etc??. I would wait until at least 10 games and how the leagues shaping up before we throw toys out of pram if not going well in relation to where we think we should be.
We're not Forrest???

I saw your point indeed Blackpool were rock bottom after 7 games two seasons ago but got promoted
However last season we didn’t have a great start but we all saw that the style was good and we looked well balanced although we were very thin at the back we looked threatening and had some pace about us.
This year we look more secure at the back but going forward we look slow and inept.
That is the worrying sign for me, plus if teams press us we don’t have the ability to do anything other than knock it long

Yes but what would you think if say if Swindon were in the Championship now and Brannagan signed for them
We would all be gentleman and applaud him for his service next time he played against us?

Yes but what would you think if say if Swindon were in the Championship now and Brannagan signed for them
We would all be gentleman and applaud him for his service next time he played against us?
We wouldn’t go into hysteria for years and years!! He’s had threats apparently

Having watched yesterday’s game on ifollow, there’s nothing much more to really add regarding our performance, very poor from 20 minutes in, pace and power clearly missing all over the pitch.

A couple of small observations however, which may have already been mentioned, so sorry if I’m repeating:

Why didn’t we bring Ciaron Brown on? He has at least got a long throw that could have aided us towards the end of the game, and added something different at least, particularly when Joseph added some much needed height up front, tho realise we are a fairly small side especially with the subs that were made.

Why bring Jones on in the 89th minute and not earlier? Does his fleeting appearance mean that’s now cost the club money on a game pay per play basis? If so at least give him 25 minutes or more. No point paying money out for a couple of minutes! 🤔

Bristol World report makes out we were dirty especially in the first half where atleast CamBran should have been sent off. They want to put yheir own house in order, each little tackle rolloing over holding their heads stopping play to get physio on, then getting up with no problem. Think Barton calls it game management along with the other time wasting they got away with.
we got nothing out of the game through our own fault, missed chances. Would like to see McGinty, Bate, Joseph all start on Tuesday for Eastwood, Henry, Taylor.

KR has 2 weeks to bring in some quality players if not fans will turn. They say we have a top6 budget not so sure may be the board have tightened the purse strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom