Home Match Day Thread +++ 19/04/2019 OUFC v Charlton Athletic Match Day Thread +++

In today's episode of the Darren Drysdale show, the plucky lower league official made it up as he went along, merrily waving his hands around in a nonsensical manner to ensure all of the paying punters knew his name by the end of the game and had an opinion on his performance. Darren deeply cares about his legacy and to be like Cheers, where everyone knows his name.

Bio:
Darren aspires to be Mike Dean, his true idol in life. He spends his spare time practising his Mike Dean gestures in various Travel Lodges and Premier Inns across England by getting his red and yellow card action just right, and the perfect posture on his play on signals. Darren is single and lives at home with his Mum.

Yes, but does he have his own room?

Re: Sinclair falling about near the end...Not the slightest bit surprised given the effort he put in over the preceding 80 or so minutes. He must have been knackered.

Great performance by all today. (Rush of blood for Simon?)

At one point the Conversation in our part of the SSU today went like this: 153 "We never score from corners" followed shortly after by "Where is McGuire when you need him?" Then, "We never score from free kicks" and finally ...."We never win against Charlton so would it be tooooooo much to ask for a 2-1 win?"

Lovely! ?

Great game today that had everything two teams totally committed and going for it, sending offs, scraps, great goals, and a win for the U’S.
Well done OUFC

A few points:

- As soon as I heard Darren Drysdale was the Ref then I knew he would be utterly inconsistent and make some very strange decisions. Now he is out of the way.

- 2 fantastic goals. What a joy to be able to see them live.

- Mark Sykes' technical ability and composure was superb today. No doubt he is an exciting prospect and really gives some encouragement for next season.

- Credit to KR with how he set the team up with the players out. Also how he adjusted the team formation after Easty got sent off.

- Obviously, Easty's sending off was a blow but apart from the 2 saves (1 looked spectacular from the other end) Jack Stevens didn't actually need to do too much.. The defence were excellent in soaking up the pressure with Nelson and Dickie being particularly good in clearing the crosses.

- I thought their red card was harsh, not that I care that much though.

- I loved that the Charlton fans were chanting "Robbo, what's the score?" literally just before Sykes went on that run that ultimately led to our goal.

- The crowd reaction on both Sam Long and Josh Ruffels' runs in injury time was why I love watching live football, you can't get that feeling watching it on TV.

- Jamie Mackie seemed intent on taking anybody and everybody out when he came on. He took out Sinclair twice and Jame Henry once that I can think of off the top my head!! Apart from the general shithousery, he also managed Drysdale well when he came on.

- Sam Long looked chuffed to bits when Jack Stevens got the "one of our own" chant when applauding the fans at the end.

- A really entertaining game to watch and Charlton/Drysdale played their part even if it got a bit feisty.

Last edited:
Two things I will say after today’s game. Sinclair, coming from a premier league upbringing, does tend to go to ground very easily. To be fair to him it’s possibly how they’re coached in the top tier, but when we were up against it in the last 10 mins needing everybody to ‘man up’ having your striker rolling around in the opposition penalty area wasn’t what was needed. To be fair he had run around a hell of a lot so I might be being too harsh, but if he stays with us next season, and I wouldn’t be sorry if he did, he needs to take a leaf out of Mackie’s book and realise it’s all about ‘muck and bullets’ down here in league 1.

And Robinson says we’ve apparently got a meeting with Nelson’s people on Wednesday. If we can, by some miracle, get Nelson to sign up for us again, that would be the biggest statement of intent the owners could possibly make and would bring so much confidence in their leadership.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Sinclair. He looked utterly knackered at the end but kept trying to make runs. He had a knock or cramp as well in the last few minutes (+injury time) after the last sub had been made. He was certainly limping after the final whistle.

Great game today my first for a while. For me the team played very well. Mackie for me was the engine that got us over the line he was everywhere and in everything. In a situation like we were in after the Eastwood gaff he came on and steadied the ship which I put down to his years of experience (shithousery). When Stevens made the save though well you wont see many of those in your watching lifetime. Seeing some of the Charlton fans after the game which they thought was a stonewall win was priceless!!

Just back?what a game seemed to have everything and to think it will be cheaper next season, live football you can’t beat it, don’t like early kickoffs but can take that fare all day long.

A cracking game today; good for the soul. Our defending was monumental; they barely had a sniff of goal all game.

Loved our tactics when we went to 10. Suckered them first for a 4-4-1 giving them the flanks and defending the penalty area. Then the meister shithouse arrived on the scene.

Eastwood panicked and the rules are the rules.

Moment of the match was Ruffs impersonating Messi in the last minute.

As I’ve said before with all the highs and lows it’s been some season. We are ending it looking tough, skilful, pacy and brave.

Ground wasn’t a soul less wind tunnel today was it? But every time I see that tinpot fence I still cringe.

Tbf, it was Darren Drysdale reffing so he picks and chooses which laws to use on a minute by minute basis. :)

But you are right.

But actually - is he though?

I had an extremely (alright, slightly) comprehensive trawl through Law 12 on TheFA.com and from my reading, it’s really very discretionary. The only truly relevant clause I could find is that the goalkeeper is subject to the same restrictions as other players outside the box.

That there’s a mandatory send-off for a ‘keeper handling outside the area appears to be imaginary! Happy to stand corrected if another can find it, but surprised if it’s not in the laws according to The FA.

A few points:

- As soon as I heard Darren Drysdale was the Ref then I knew he would be utterly inconsistent and make some very strange decisions. Now he is out of the way.

- 2 fantastic goals. What a joy to be able to see them live.

- Mark Sykes' technical ability and composure was superb today. No doubt he is an exciting prospect and really gives some encouragement for next season.

- Credit to KR with how he set the team up with the players out. Also how he adjusted the team formation after Easty got sent off.

- Obviously, Easty's sending off was a blow but apart from the 2 saves (1 looked spectacular from the other end) Jack Stevens didn't actually need to do too much.. The defence were excellent in soaking up the pressure with Nelson and Dickie being particularly good in clearing the crosses.

- I thought their red card was harsh, not that I care that much though.

- I loved that the Charlton fans were chanting "Robbo, what's the score?" literally just before Sykes went on that run that ultimately led to our goal.

- The crowd reaction on both Sam Long and Josh Ruffels' runs in injury time was why I love watching live football, you can't get that feeling watching it on TV.

- Jamie Mackie seemed intent on taking anybody and everybody out when he came on. He took out Sinclair twice and Jame Henry once that I can think of off the top my head!! Apart from the general shithousery, he also managed Drysdale well when he came on.

- Sam Long looked chuffed to bits when Jack Stevens got the "one of our own" chant when applauding the fans at the end.

- A really entertaining game to watch and Charlton/Drysdale played their part even if it got a bit feisty.
Was their pen definitely a pen? Difficult to see on the highlights.

Looking forward to travelling up to Shrewsbury. KR has stated there will be changes to the team that start with some of the youngsters coming into the line up. Stevens will start, obviously, and it will be interesting to see who else gets the nod.

Best game for ages today with so much action and a win. Drysdale was doing his best to mess it all up with his arm waving and not always logical decision making but, even he couldn't detract from the end result.
So good to see some football played with vigour from both sides.

Personally, I can see Nelson staying. More hope than conviction maybe, but he looked really happy to have scored and was a driving force in defence. Not the style of someone who is no longer interested in his present club. Let's hope the meeting on Wednesday is productive and his financial demands are reasonable.

Luke Garbutt even without today's excellent free kick has been outstanding in recent games. I'm going to be pleased if he stays on with us next season, a big drop in money I know but long term it may be the best thing for his career.

Garbutt has a wand for a left foot. Capable of some serious quality on his delivery, and apparently free kicks as well. Could be like a thin, mobile Peter Leven. Although why Everton/Robinson/everyone else thought he was a left back is beyond me, because he's clearly suited playing further forwards.
Likewise, would love to see us sign him on a permanent (but affordable, League One) deal.

Believe with the Wombles draw, we are officially mathematically safe. With three games to go....quite a run to finish the season so bags of credit to all involved.

Can someone post the highlights please as Meridian and BBC South only bothered to show the Reading and pompey games.

Back
Top Bottom