Away Match Day Thread +++ 19:10/19 L1 Rotherham United v OUFC +++

We have a reputation for it now. We have a blueprint of players dropping out of the premiership academies, getting big minutes for us then working their way back up the ladder. If they are good enough they will reach their level. We have so many examples now that it must be pretty tempting for 18-21yo stuck in reserve football.

Herbie Kane was one of the best midfielders in the league last year for Doncaster. He played 40 matches...in the summer he went back to Liverpool, hasn’t been loaned out again and has now played 4 matches for the U23s this season. There is a swathe of these players
Yes but if we keep up the good work we are doing now and we keep the players we already have, we wouldn’t the need for anymore.

Rare for an opposition's forum to be so complimentary after a loss:

Rare for an opposition's forum to be so complimentary after a loss:

Although Blackpool accepted that we were much the better side and Coventry fans were very complementary. In fact, most teams/fans have generally been more positive than some on here!!!

This is true. Since Lincoln away I have had a little read of some of the opposition forums (because I like it okay??) and they have uniformly been very impressed with the quality of our play. Most agreeing that we look like promotion material.
Unsurprising really, we are!

There have been some who've said we played well, but there have also been plenty who have said we were nothing special and their own team just played the worst that they have all season against us. That has been a re-curring theme

He probably isn't, but no problem in trying to big up the game and get some additional numbers through the gate.
It’s all about marketing. If we can do a ‘fan day’ and reduce prices and aim for 10k it’s amazing how the word can spread. Remember in the conference we did a fan day and got 10,000 odd for an average game against someone crap. Think it might have been Yeovil. We then drew the game 0-0!

It’s all about marketing. If we can do a ‘fan day’ and reduce prices and aim for 10k it’s amazing how the word can spread. Remember in the conference we did a fan day and got 10,000 odd for an average game against someone crap. Think it might have been Yeovil. We then drew the game 0-0!

Wasn't it Woking on Boxing day? The game was turgid.

Agreed - kids for a quid - bring a friend for a fiver etc. If you can then get some repeat sales as a result the ROI is a bit of a no-brainer. Some ST holders will moan but you can't stop that.

Hopefully more people will start coming because we are playing fantastic football and are up to 5th in the table.
The Sunderland game has tickets reduced by over 20%.
Boxing day v Lincoln , the Wycombe game will both hopefully be very big crowds if we keep this form up.
I agree that marketing is important but ryecteam sure are doing their bit.

We had 10,000 for the West Ham game with 1,500 West Ham fans included in that figure so there were probably another 2,000 fans included in that figure because those 2,000 weren’t there for watching Oxford

There have been some who've said we played well, but there have also been plenty who have said we were nothing special and their own team just played the worst that they have all season against us. That has been a re-curring theme

In some games that has been true though - I’m not trying to undermine our success, but in some of the games I’ve seen (Tranmere for example) the amount of unforced errors was staggering. Our attacking play has been sublime in all of our big wins, but at least some of the clean sheets were not just down to our great defending but also the fact that the opposition could barely string two passes together.

For example, I watched us (live) concede nine goals in three games against Fleetwood, Coventry and Burton and then none in three against Tranmere, Gillingham and Doncaster. Don’t get me wrong, our overall play in general was better in the latter group of games, as was our defensive play, but defensively we weren’t loads better, suddenly blocking loads of shots and Eastwood making amazing saves. Tranmere and Gillingham especially were just very poor on the day going forwards, making lots of unforced errors and hitting the ball straight out of play. Doncaster less so but still they didn’t have the attacking verve that Burton and Fleetwood had. Coventry I’d actually argue we made look good by being poor at the back.

Anyway, not sure what that ramble is saying exactly, just that sometimes the opposition play poorly and sometimes we defend well, but overall we are getting better and long may it continue!

Totally shameless plug for our website D3D4Football.com & our youtube channel, an outlet for fans of clubs in the 3rd & 4th tier, fans who get a raw deal from the Premier League obsessed media. Me for my sins have been charged with the role of "roving reporter" travelling the length & breadth of the country reporting on games, please check us out...…..Ian Bradley (look for my content under correspondents),Thanks.

Just seen the goals, Eastwood at fault for there goal, should have punched it miles away but got involved in a crowd of players, a keeper should take them all out on his way through.

But our goals were a bit special, Fosu seems to pick out the back of the net at will and Taylor is pure poacher.

Apparently KR was at fault, according to the man himself…

Last edited:

Was Woking, their keeper had a blinder, my wife even came to that game and she hates football ???

Was Woking, their keeper had a blinder, my wife even came to that game and she hates football ???
That’s right!! What a damp squib that was! Boxing Day I know but I’m sure they could do something like that if they market it solidly for a month before. I think maybe the Shrewsbury game could be good. We want to pick one we’ll have a very decent shout of winning.

Slightly disappointed to find that "Oxford took the lead in the 23rd minute out of nothing". I'm fairly sure I saw Brannogon superbly dispossess their full back and drive into the area before laying the ball off to Fosu, who took a couple of touches before burying an unstoppable shot into the side netting? But then what do I know?

Slightly disappointed to find that "Oxford took the lead in the 23rd minute out of nothing". I'm fairly sure I saw Brannogon superbly dispossess their full back and drive into the area before laying the ball off to Fosu, who took a couple of touches before burying an unstoppable shot into the side netting? But then what do I know?

Brannigan technically got two assists I believe, but no-one seems to be talking about that ?

Back
Top Bottom