Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the vocal warring factions on here, I’d like to think many fans are probably more where I am: a little concerned that no new faces have been brought in yet (let’s not get into the semantics of what constitutes ‘a signing’), but willing to be patient if it means we’re getting in the right players. We may not get them in early, but we’re aware that it’s more important to get the right players than the early players. Findlay is a good example.

The thing with Sinclair, if he is actually being seriously looked at (which to be fair I have yet to be convinced of), is that he really doesn’t strike you as the kind of player that justifies the delay. Previously with perennially injured players that we’ve brought in, they’ve had a high pre-injury ceiling, so the gamble seems to make sense. Sinclair has not demonstrated that in his career thus far. He was fine with us in that grim 18-19 season, sure, but really no more than that, and by all accounts that was the high point of his career to date.

With the best will in the world, it does cause doubts to creep in around the efficacy of our scouting and recruitment systems.

But what on earth is the point of having a backup striker who doesn't score goals and has not done so throughout his whole career which encompasses various levels in various countries? By that logic, we may as well sign a backup goalie who can't catch the ball, a backup defensive midfielder who won't tackle and a one legged winger because they add depth? I'd much rather play one of our youngsters in that role - Sinclair isn't going to develop any further and is worth absolutely nothing, at least one of our up and coming players might add something, even if that something is only enthusiasm and a bit of pace!
Strikers can bring other things. I thought he was decent at holding it up and creating chances for the rest of the front three.

Strikers can bring other things. I thought he was decent at holding it up and creating chances for the rest of the front three.
They can - and if he was great at that maybe he would have found a club that wanted him in the last year.

Nope. But we are getting bashed about like bu**ery in the market.

If you look back over recent seasons we have dealt largely in three types of player:

1) Injured free agents looking for an opportunity to get fit again, with minimal suitors due to the extent of their issues.

2) Loan players who are looking for their level / trying to reignite their careers, rather than sparkling prospects who their parent clubs genuinely want to keep and develop.

3) Irish untested prospects.

There are some exceptions, but these waters are where the majority of players are pulled from. This is because the club structure is not set up to compete for the most promising players or those with a number of suitors who we need to go toe to toe with. We’ll pinch the odd one, but they’re the exception rather than the rule. There is money, good money (well over a million quid has been dropped on the training ground refresh alone this summer), but it’s hard to spend it when nearly every player you want has got up to half a dozen other offers on the table, and you don’t even have a DoF / Chief Exec figure to schmooze the deal home.

Findlay has barely played in 18 months and is OOC in the States this Christmas, so it looks like we’re nipping in with a bit of cash and a three year deal. Good for Philadelphia, good for the player, and hopefully good for us. But we aren’t fighting anybody off for him, because most other clubs see a guy who has barely kicked a ball in over a season at a level comparable to upper League One for the most part. And let me be clear - I am not slagging the player off in saying that. He was superb in the SPL and we tried to sign him twice in the past going back three years or so, but that’s kind of the point. We couldn’t get him before. If we get him now it’s because we have stolen in when he’s fallen off the radar and other clubs aren’t hot on his heels. We are opportunists and risk takers, but there is a ceiling in that sort of existence.

Before anybody starts, I am not doom mongering. I have actually been pretty positive this summer and think we will have a decent, competitive squad by the end of the window. I think we will also pick up a player or two who we wouldn’t normally be able to obtain, possibly including a loan player that their club actually sees a future in, and that we will have a decent season. Whether decent means meeting goals and expectations is another matter, but decent none the less.

However, until the structure of the club is overhauled, it’s an uphill battle. Not impossible, but difficult. More difficult than it needs to be. Some of that is going to need the board to be more involved and hands on, and some of it is going to involve the manager letting go. One leads to the other in that regard, but it has to happen. There is no point having money to spend if there aren’t the mechanisms in place to spend it effectively.

It’ll be alright. Eventually.
I'd be surprised if we were the only team in for Findlay. There was plenty of interest in Jan, including both Preston and Blackpool, so it seems unlikley that we were the only ones to put a call in this summer.

I'd also add fourth type of signing: acadamy grads who aren't good enought to make the grade at top level but have shown a bit on loan elsewhere. Moore, McGuane, Brannagan and Seddon all fit this model, and I'd imagine it's a pool we will be dipping into this time around too.

Regaring our use of subs, we do tend to bring on attack minded players in general either to get back into a game or turn 2-1 into 3-1. From memory we've normal only brought a defender on due to injury or on a rare occasion Mous came on to see out the last 2 minutes or so.

But what on earth is the point of having a backup striker who doesn't score goals and has not done so throughout his whole career which encompasses various levels in various countries? By that logic, we may as well sign a backup goalie who can't catch the ball, a backup defensive midfielder who won't tackle and a one legged winger because they add depth? I'd much rather play one of our youngsters in that role - Sinclair isn't going to develop any further and is worth absolutely nothing, at least one of our up and coming players might add something, even if that something is only enthusiasm and a bit of pace!
Two things -firstly we are trialling him to determine his current abilities/ fitness/likely goal return etc, though as a target man it may not always be himethat gets them....
Secondly, I of all people, get the desire to bring youngsters through, but as it stands, we don't have a young striker ready to break through.

Spasov could have been, but was given a last chance s/t deal for this summer to show he was injury free, but his absence from any recent comms suggests that ship has sailed.
This season I would suggest Goodrham is potentially ready to play a part, Golding probably one more year on loan away and the likes of GOD great prospects but a good year or two away from anything but the odd cameo

Sinclair's stats for us:

16 appearances, 4 goals, 3 Assists, 942 mins (from Transfermarkt). Minutes per goal: 236 mins - Minutes per goal/assist: 135 mins (Mins rounded up)

Tatabanya mentioned these or similar earlier.

I remember doing a comparison with the leading scorers etc for that season at the time and he was a good way up the list on the Minutes per goal/assist. Whether his game has regressed since is obviously the question. Having him on trial won't hurt.

Whilst others will know more about this than me, it doesn't sit comfortable with me that a player has a pre arranged trial/training with other clubs prior to going through the paces with us. Strikes me as being used again to regain fitness to the benefit of another club.

I wonder if Newport fans said the same thing when they signed Dom Telford. Or Cambridge fans when they signed Paul Mullin. Or Wigan fans when they signed Will Keane.
Sinclair hasn't played much professional football, and there are plenty of strikers who aren't prolific until they find the right club. I back our recruitment team to look beyond the goals scored column when evaluating a player's ability and potential.

I wonder if Newport fans said the same thing when they signed Dom Telford. Or Cambridge fans when they signed Paul Mullin. Or Wigan fans when they signed Will Keane.
Sinclair hasn't played much professional football, and there are plenty of strikers who aren't prolific until they find the right club. I back our recruitment team to look beyond the goals scored column when evaluating a player's ability and potential.
Surely just another case of varied evaluation by fans on individual players rather than just letting the recruitment team and coaches do their job.

Yes, that’s why we have them on trial. No question that they have the talent to improve us, but there are too many risks to sign them without exploring further. So that’s what we are doing.

Tell me how Jerome Sinclair improves us as a football team, because it certainly isn’t his goal scoring ability, and electric pace!

I'd be surprised if we were the only team in for Findlay. There was plenty of interest in Jan, including both Preston and Blackpool, so it seems unlikley that we were the only ones to put a call in this summer.
A childhood spent on eBay taught me that there is a huge difference between bidders and watchers. We’ve clicked the button and it looks like nobody else has. Now the numbers have gone red and the clock has almost run out. I have missed this feeling.

Off to see what sort of stuff people are still actually selling on there. I bet it’s just used as a ‘buy now’ style retail platform by established businesses. A shame if so. The cut and thrust made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom