Home Match Day Thread 23/09/2023 L1: OUFC v Exeter City

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just home, great win. Symbolic of a team that’s going to be amongst it this year. First goal was sensational and the penalty win from Murphy was excellent, he should be doing that to defenders weekly with his ability. Good to see.

Exeter had bags of the ball but looked like a team in transition, had the possession game nailed down but didn’t really threaten all that much and we gave them the space to go side to side as much as they wanted. We won a different way today.

Motm was tricky but thought Brannagan was good all afternoon and the first penalty was a huge moment as we were under pressure at 1-0.

Full backs still worry me, sorry. Long’s best moment was wiping out their winger when flying through the centre - essential he did that. But again, we’ve got a very good win so no harm done.

Special mention for Kyle Edwards. I haven’t seen a winger as good as him 1 vs 1 for some time and the numbers are there, too. His end product is showing now - 3 consecutive games with goal contributions.

I think if Cam Bran wasnt a fisherman he would have left. A good fisherman knows he is in a good spot and is patient enough to wait for action. He has been very patient.

I think he will play CH with us as long as we can show that we can tie down the skeleton of the team down and go up as as a developing team rather than a new experiment. Its all about the funding from here. We still havent seen that the owners are winning to invest £50m in the CH to be competitive) and just hoping we can stay up with a new group of OOS additions might not be enough even for the most patient fisherman. Even if we go up I think he may go unless the suitcase is opened and the chairman finally shows hes willing to put some proper money down for next year
f*****g mental post. Get some sleep

Honestly, the way we've been playing over the last couple of games is starting to remind me of the last Oxford side to get promoted out of the third tier.

Good keeper; extremely solid back four; midfield engine room that has energy and creativity; and proper wingers that aren't afraid to go after their full backs.

The only real difference is up front (both in that we're now playing one in behind the striker rather than two up top, and in that we don't have a goalscoring battering ram like Moods).

Only the 95/96 side didn't really get going until November. We've shot out of the traps.

There's also still noone who really scares you in League One this year - unlike just about any other year I can remember since we got back up here. The season is starting to look like a real opportunity......

Final word for Cheltenham.....according to the BBC, they are now the first team is history to have failed to score a goal in their first nine games to start a season!
(they've still got nine more league games to go before we play them, so they will surely have scored by then. If not, you know we're in trouble.......)

Just home, great win. Symbolic of a team that’s going to be amongst it this year. First goal was sensational and the penalty win from Murphy was excellent, he should be doing that to defenders weekly with his ability. Good to see.

Exeter had bags of the ball but looked like a team in transition, had the possession game nailed down but didn’t really threaten all that much and we gave them the space to go side to side as much as they wanted. We won a different way today.

Motm was tricky but thought Brannagan was good all afternoon and the first penalty was a huge moment as we were under pressure at 1-0.

Full backs still worry me, sorry. Long’s best moment was wiping out their winger when flying through the centre - essential he did that. But again, we’ve got a very good win so no harm done.

Special mention for Kyle Edwards. I haven’t seen a winger as good as him 1 vs 1 for some time and the numbers are there, too. His end product is showing now - 3 consecutive games with goal contributions.
Full backs worry you the games we have played Stevens and Leigh we’ve lost both let’s change the full backs after two 3-0 wins with them and lose again

And it wasn't just the assist for the goal (although that was glorious). Two other perfect decisions/passes for Bodin's first half chances as well.

Marcus Browne is a terrifically talented and exciting player, but who often drives you mad with his decisions in the final third. First few games, Edwards is looking like that same player but with end product!

Oxford Fail silent today on Twitter/X, with no match posts. But a detailed and very well written match report appeared on the website written no-less by the esteemed "Jon Murray", who was the OM chief football writer in the late 80's for around 20 years. Does anyone know what the situation is?

Oxford Fail silent today on Twitter/X, with no match posts. But a detailed and very well written match report appeared on the website written no-less by the esteemed "Jon Murray", who was the OM chief football writer in the late 80's for around 20 years. Does anyone know what the situation is?

Liam Rice is on holiday I think.

Takes you back to proper sports writers. Who remembers John Parsons from the Green Mail. Used to queue up for mine just after six o’clock at the Regal. Amazing that they could produce and print a whole sports paper within an hour of final whistle.

There's also still noone who really scares you in League One this year - unlike just about any other year I can remember since we got back up here.

You know that line... "if you can't pick out or identify the 'X' one from within your group of friends - then said individual is probably you".

Maybe... it's us?

Brown definitely needed Thorniley a few times with the rapid Mitchell but although they huffed and puffed, we stood firm.
I would have liked us to get on the front foot a little more second half but when we broke we looked very dangerous.
McGuane and Brannagan looked class in the midfield today where a lot of Exeters momentum was broken up.
I did remark to a fella next to me that we could still do with a CB that was comfortable bringing the ball out from the back as it would save us always having to rely on our midfielders dropping deep to pick it up. However, we look solid and I guess that is more important at the moment.

For me, McGuane was Man of the match but Brannagan was excellent too.
A big 3 points today. Well done to the team and management.

Full backs worry you the games we have played Stevens and Leigh we’ve lost both let’s change the full backs after two 3-0 wins with them and lose again
I’m not suggesting we do change, as a collective it works and I went over that last week - our wingers are so effective at the moment that I think it masks the problem somewhat and while that’s the case, there’s no need to change it. It doesn’t mean to say they can’t be better with their individual contributions and neither of these 3-0 wins have changed my view on that.

Back
Top Bottom